VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Issues are likely not the camera, it's me. I am shooting MXP, shutter speed 60, f4. Gain varies between 6 to 9 db.
    The issue is video quality. I am consistently getting poor quality videos. Graininess appears in the original video so I don't think codec is the issue although I would like to ask if I can get better background quality if I use something other than h 264 codec. And if so, what would be better? I am an old film shooter testing the video waters and still learning.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Boosting the gain 6-9db is always going to result in increased noise (often mistakenly called "grain.") You need more light. In film terms, 3db is the equivalent of doubling your ISO. So 9db is like going from 200 stock to 1600.
    Last edited by smrpix; 20th Dec 2015 at 01:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. I am currently about 450 watts of florescent at 5500k for a key light at about 8 feet from subject. These lights should be about 1300 equivalent. The lights are supposed to be defused so I do not use a defuser. How much more do I need to buy to get enough light on my subject? Sorry to sound so silly but when I go through most of the data I get mostly vague general statements and data, nothing that can be useful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That camera does have exposure compensation modes (such as "spotlight" and "snow") as well as built-in ND capability. Make sure those are all cleared.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd shoot 1080p30 with that cam and not 1080i60 it has much better light capability at 1/30 shutter.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also, check to see if it has an exposure lock feature. I have a Canon HV40, and hardly ever shoot without locking it. With the exposure locked, I get nearly full custom control over the iris and shutter speed. As for gain, I assiduously avoid it. Any amount of gain above 0 dB just introduces noise and makes for nearly unusable footage. I suspect the G20 is not much different. Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My studio is in another town so I will do a test shoot when I get down there. The weather is pretty bad so an outdoor shoot is out of the question. I did find the ND filter was on, likely set up in default because I have never used this camera in bright lights. I'm sure that will give me a couple of stops.
    I was told that a shutter speed less than 60 would decrease quality, so that is what I have used but I will try that one in a test as well, since I am off for the week and have nothing else to do. Thanks all!
    Quote Quote