VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ever since this nonsensical plan of Microsoft offering a "free download" of Windows 10.... it's almost impossible to get any Windows Updates within a reasonable period of time for older operating systems. Typical response is close to an hour. Although I've read numerous praises about 10, I've tried it and think it to be total garbage. Then I've noticed on several of my laptops and desktops.... the hard drive light is on furiously for a long period of time, and, since I still use the now-defunct Windows Sidebar, I see the CPU meter running at 50% or more, unless I disable certain functions such as Windows Update, taskhost.exe or svchost.exe. IMHO, my Windows 7 machines have not run properly since..... the Win 10 update became available last July. Not to mention the continuous nagging Windows 10 reminders, such as KB3035583. Enough is enough !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wait for a few more months and the free upgrade push should stop

Me too starts to hate Windows since 8.0... The attempt to merge a mobile OS with a Desktop OS leaded to all this mess.

Nevertheless, still need at least one Windows machine due to HW/SW compatibility issues.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved the thread to general discussions,more rant than asking for help on computers issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I feel completely the opposite about the situation. I have a Toshiba tablet that I have tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and I am consigned to the fact that it is a hunk of junk that can't support the upgrade. I think Windows 10 is great. I helped a family member upgrade a 6/7 year old laptop with it and it is running much faster now than it ever did under Windows 7. I think we can all guess why the upgrade is free, so Microsoft can put all their eggs in one basket, so I just say it's a free upgrade, let's just go with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft has ruined Windows !
    Since Windows XP, if we have to be honest.

1) the infamous Luna desktop theme;

2) those fäggy animations in Windows Explorer search window;

3) file-types management became crippled;

4) etc Etc ETC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not installed the free Windows 10 upgrade on either of my PCs. I did try Windows 10 as a VM via the Windows Insider program. If I install Windows 10 on either of my present computers, it will be at a later date, and with reluctance.

I use Windows Media Center for recording TV on both of my PCs, and it isn't supported under Windows 10. I could use something else, except that WMC is the only software that provides the DRM required for recording copy-protected cable channels. There is PVR software in development for my CableCARD tuner which will address that, but it is a long way behind schedule and the user interface won't include a grid-based full program guide, just a one channel at a time guide. The existing viewer app they use also doesn't work very well with my older PC's on-board graphics, although WMC does.

Beyond that... I didn't care for the new Start Menu with its tiles and embedded advertising. I'll need to use a Start Menu replacement again. I don't want to use the Edge browser or Bing and I don't like the way Microsoft nags users if they want to use something other than the default Microsoft choices and apps. I don't like the new update policies where users cannot choose what to install and incompatible updates can only be hidden by using a special tool from Microsoft. There is also too much stuff that I will not use and want to disable, like Cortana, peer-to-peer update deliveries to everyone, and Wi-Fi Sense. ...maybe telemetry too.

...and Microsoft is too pushy about the Windows 10 upgrade. I have resorted to manually installing updates so Microsoft can't sneak Windows 10 upgrade nagware and the auto downloaded Windows 10 installer onto my PCs again with new updates.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Dec 2015 at 11:26. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SPFreely View Post
    I helped a family member upgrade a 6/7 year old laptop with it and it is running much faster now than it ever did under Windows 7.
    If you had to help someone install Windows 10, and the computer performed better after the install, I'm going to bet they would have gotten the same result with just a clean Win7 reinstall. As over the years your computer will get loaded with more and more crap from programs, viruses/malware, widgets, and so on. Not everyone does regular maintenance to get rid of these burdens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After years of running multiple OS from a MAC, to Windows 3.1, Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and now Windows 10, I find that Windows 10 seams to be a little bit faster over-all. And most of all changing OS and keeping up to date on the latest and greatest is mostly personal choice. But on the whole it seems that the makers of computer software will make you change no mater what. It will happen and they will force you to change due to their failures to keep the software up to date. No more security updates, and your personal information will be hacked because of the lack of how to make software safe in the first place. And one of the most common problems if just that we fail to keep our information secure. You see it in the mew all the time about how someone hacked the most secure systems in the world. If you don't want someone to get your information, don't put it up for someone to steal. If you must keeping your info on a PC then you must keep up with the technology to keep your info safe. Growing pains of learning a new OS or other software is a evil necessity. I personally find it fun to learn new software and how to manipulate information in different forms by using new programs or OS.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I thought I might have to use a different start menu manager, like I did in 8/8.1, but I've managed to adjust the one in Windows 10 so that it is not too bad. Here is a snapshot of it. (I've been testing some things in DVDFab, so its showing up on my often used list).

Click image for larger version

Name:	start menu.png
Views:	184
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	34866

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with Windows 10 so far on my main machine. I can't use Windows 10 on my backup machine because it borks too many older games.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ms is not the only place where updates can be found ... if you know the update kb then search ... you will find them turn up on multiple sites.

Only main bug is the new telemetry updates for windows 7 may trigger the "non-genuine" error for some factory products, hp, dell, etc.

Windows 10 decided on install to put all my video applications under the start menu item xvid4psp ... took a while to clean it up.

Slow or fast ... your pc was built with the intention of the original os installed ... not some os in the future ... so some will not perform well.

Windows 10 has a few slick tricks up it's sleeve but it's no faster ... only faster hardware can improve response time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have not installed the free Windows 10 upgrade on either of my PCs. I did try Windows 10 as a VM via the Windows Insider program. If I install Windows 10 on either of my present computers, it will be at a later date, and with reluctance.

I use Windows Media Center for recording TV on both of my PCs, and it isn't supported under Windows 10. I could use something else, except that WMC is the only software that provides the DRM required for recording copy-protected cable channels. There is PVR software in development for my CableCARD tuner which will address that, but it is a long way behind schedule and the user interface won't include a grid-based full program guide, just a one channel at a time guide. The existing viewer app they use also doesn't work very well with my older PC's on-board graphics, although WMC does.

Beyond that... I didn't care for the new Start Menu with its tiles and embedded advertising. I'll need to use a Start Menu replacement again. I don't want to use the Edge browser or Bing and I don't like the way Microsoft nags users if they want to use something other than the default Microsoft choices and apps. I don't like the new update policies where users cannot choose what to install and incompatible updates can only be hidden by using a special tool from Microsoft. There is also too much stuff that I will not use and want to disable, like Cortana, peer-to-peer update deliveries to everyone, and Wi-Fi Sense. ...maybe telemetry too.

...and Microsoft is too pushy about the Windows 10 upgrade. I have resorted to manually installing updates so Microsoft can't sneak Windows 10 upgrade nagware and the auto downloaded Windows 10 installer onto my PCs again with new updates.
    Although I don't use WMC, there must be some way of installing it on Windows 10. Why they chose to abandon it is beyond my comprehension.
    Must have something to do with DRM or Copyright Protection or some damned thing. I don't care for any of the features of Windows 10, my
    beef also includes being able to run older software on this new platform. Speed means nothing if your preferred software won't run on a (forced) updated operating system. I was able to do this with almost every o.s. up to 8.1, but that's where it ended. Also.... no one seems to care that
    Microsoft must have and inordinate amount of servers pushing out 3 gigs to download 10... and force 'sharing' of end-user's Internet bandwith...when we, in this day and age are supposed to be.... conserving energy. Apparently "Going Green" in not on Microsoft's agenda.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Today, I brought one of my windows 8.1 tablets (digiland) to work (to test an installer app I wanted to test-run with an app I am developing for my job, and I wanted a clean OS to test the installer's .exe on). But the tablet's battery was dead since 7/21/2015. The last date before it died was that. And I had everything turned off, like wifi, etc. on it. I have yet to figure out how to stop that from happening because all my tablets die after 1 or 2 weeks. Anyway.

When the unit was fully charged and it booted up into window 8.1, it popped up an offer to upgrade to windows 10 and said that my tablet was compatible-ready for the upgrade.

But the only thing that has me confused is the fact that this tablet only has 16GB internal storage. And after the windows 8.1 installation (and a few other apps that I don't know about that got installed) it is left with 4.5GB storage. And I hear people talking about a 3GB file that M$ auto-downloads to a computer. I assume the 3GB file is a zip file of some sort. So I can only imagine that windows 10 is much bigger than windows 8.1 that this tablet came pre-installed with. And I wonder just how much memory I would be left with.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joecass View Post

Although I don't use WMC, there must be some way of installing it on Windows 10. Why they chose to abandon it is beyond my comprehension.
    Must have something to do with DRM or Copyright Protection or some damned thing.
    There is a way, but it is technically illegal and I'm not gambling on it as a long-term solution. Remember, Windows 10 has the ability to detect and remove what it considers to be pirated software. I doubt that people who unofficially add WMC to Windows 10 are going to get to keep using it indefinitely.

DVR functions for OTA are being added to the XBox One, but that won't help those who use CableCARD tuners. However, if Media Center was dropped from Windows due to decreased usage it does seem strange that Microsoft has now gone to the trouble of adding much of the same functionality to the XBox One.

[Edit/Update]I did more research online and found out that the hacked version of Windows Media Center won't work for watching or recording copy-once protected channels via a CableCARD tuner. Some necessary components including PlayReady DRM are missing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Dec 2015 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Is it possible to actually order a DVD with Windows 10 for users of previous Windows version like mine that is Windows 7 64bit? if I ever had to install system again, I would presonally prefer to install a fresh copy rather than keep upgrading Windows every time I need.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Thanks! https://github.com/rn10950/I-Dont-Want-Windows-10/releases/tag/2.0 worked fine.

edit: Or well I had to manually hide some windows 10 crap under windows update...

Click image for larger version

Name:	windows10upgrade.png
Views:	184
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	34870
    Last edited by Baldrick; 17th Dec 2015 at 05:46.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZikO View Post
    Is it possible to actually order a DVD with Windows 10 for users of previous Windows version like mine that is Windows 7 64bit? if I ever had to install system again, I would presonally prefer to install a fresh copy rather than keep upgrading Windows every time I need.
    You can download a disk image (ISO), and create your own installation disk with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. Read this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Microsoft doesn't seem to be selling copies of Windows 10 on physical media at a nominal fee as a convenience to those wishing to upgrade for free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I discovered this site a month or so ago, downloaded the software, ran it, and have been happy ever since.
    http://win10wiwi.com/

I am not related (financially, psychologically, emotionally, ...) in any way, shape, or form to the developers or the program. I'm merely a user.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm with jgg, i installed "w10 when you want it" at the above url and haven't had any nags since.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 gets better after it's upgraded a few times,at first it was a real problem with two of my systems,but after some of the up grades it now works much better.
    As for my other two Win7 systems,they are now getting upgrades so they are getting supported.
    As far as video files Win10 is doing a really good job coping them from my camcorders,and viewing them from my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I use GWX Control Panel to disable the upgrade and remove the downloaded folder. It has options to re-enable in the future if desired. I've seen nothing but problems on upgrades. Most of those machines end up having to have a fresh install done to fix issues. I did a fresh install of Win10 on my new computer and it's been working fine for the most part. I do not like all the privacy issues with it. Even after turning off everything I can without breaking the OS it's hard to say what MS is getting to know about me.

What worries me is all the stories about OS upgrades that remove features. I have a pro version so I've delayed OS upgrades and only receive security updates at this point. There are a lot of people talking about the major upgrades that suddenly leave them with a bunch of broken programs because MS decided they didn't need to be installed anymore. That is a problem. I know when I upgraded one of the store computers from Win7 to Win10 it uninstalled several programs without any reason. Thinks like the Chrome browser for example.

The other thing that worried me is stories of dual boot systems where MS decided to rewrite the MBR for no reason rendering Linux unusable. I haven't installed my dual boot on the new machine yet, but when I do I intend to put the SSD for that in a drive bay with a power button and make sure grub is on that drive as well. So when it's time for a Windows Upgrade the Linux drive get's powered off completely first.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't like how Microsoft runs their OS,why not get a Mac?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digitalcurosity View Post
    Because we are not yet at the point where using Windows 10 is mandatory in order to have a fully functional and secure computer running Windows? Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 support won't come to a complete end for a few years. If current Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users don't need any of Windows 10's new features and want to stick with them a while longer, there is no practical reason why they cannot stay with them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Dec 2015 at 20:27.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I read somewhere that some people are getting the windows 10 popup install reminder that has NO x in the upper right hand corner. How would you get rid of that reminder if there wasn't any way to remove it?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...Microsoft doesn't seem to be selling copies of Windows 10 on physical media at a nominal fee as a convenience to those wishing to upgrade for free.
    Because discs don't work on tablets and phones.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by digitalcurosity View Post
    Because Mac is now utterly friggin useless for many of the video tasks we need to do. Apple flushed their early lead in video down the toilet some years back, burying the Mac's primacy as a creation tool in favor of making it a fashion accessory for morons. I still use Macs for still image processing and related business, but anything video goes straight to my Windows 7 boxes. Certain legacy devices and software I use won't work with Windows 10 (a few can barely function under Win7 because they prefer XP). I resent Microsoft obnoxiously forcing stealth OS modifications on PCs I have taken great pains to lock down: how this is even legal I cannot fathom.

Because we are not yet at the point where using Windows 10 is mandatory in order to have a fully functional and secure computer running Windows? Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 support won't come to a complete end for a few years. If current Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users don't need any of Windows 10's new features and want to stick with them a while longer, there is no practical reason why they cannot stay with them.
    Except for Microsoft doing everything in their considerable power to eff up our existing stable Win7 or Win8 systems. MS saying they'll "support" 7 and 8 for another few years means nothing if they insist on damaging existing installations with their sneaky mods. All the third-party Win10 blockers and tweaks in the world can't help when MS is pushing forced new code into 7 and 8 that ignores or disables them. Even if the blockers work 100%, I shouldn't have to constantly look over my shoulder and recheck system settings every damn day because Microsoft (not a malware attack or hacker, but friggin MICROSOFT) refuses to leave my computers alone. Its a disgusting, bullying, destructive tactic. I get that the whole future of MS is riding on this, but they need to comprehend those of us sticking with an older OS have valid reasons. When we need the new Win10 features and seamless Win10 across devices, we'll opt in, but forced modification of dedicated PCs that have no use whatever for Win10 isn't gonna get us there any sooner. Its just pissing us off and causing needless headaches. FFS, every new PC ships with Win10, isn't that a huge enough base to start? With modern "bargain" laptops falling apart within two years, all MS had to do was wait for one replacement cycle to reach massive Win10 penetration.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    I get that the whole future of MS is riding on this, but they need to comprehend those of us sticking with an older OS have valid reasons. When we need the new Win10 features and seamless Win10 across devices, we'll opt in, but forced modification of dedicated PCs that have no use whatever for Win10 isn't gonna get us there any sooner. Its just pissing us off and causing needless headaches. FFS, every new PC ships with Win10, isn't that a huge enough base to start? With modern "bargain" laptops falling apart within two years, all MS had to do was wait for one replacement cycle to reach massive Win10 penetration.
    Microsoft wants to have 1 billion devices running Windows 10 in 2-3 years. http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-big-windows-10-goal-one-billion-or-bust/ They only have ~125 million right now. Attrition won't work quickly enough.

You are right that Microsoft should be more concerned about ticking off their home user customer base. Many of them have other viable choices. Today, I told my sister about the new malware-like nag popup, and she told me that she hadn't noticed any popups yet because for weeks she has happily been using an Amazon Fire tablet instead of the family's Windows 8.1 PC so she could keep a closer eye on their two dogs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Dec 2015 at 23:22. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    The other thing that worried me is stories of dual boot systems where MS decided to rewrite the MBR for no reason rendering Linux unusable. I haven't installed my dual boot on the new machine yet, but when I do I intend to put the SSD for that in a drive bay with a power button and make sure grub is on that drive as well. So when it's time for a Windows Upgrade the Linux drive get's powered off completely first.
    Maybe they did something wrong? I did a clean install of Win10 on my dual-boot laptop that had Win7 and Linux. The dual-boot held intact after the Win10 replaced my Win7. I use it regularly with both OS's.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Originally Posted by digitalcurosity View Post
    Because Mac is now utterly friggin useless for many of the video tasks we need to do. Apple flushed their early lead in video down the toilet some years back, burying the Mac's primacy as a creation tool in favor of making it a fashion accessory for morons. I still use Macs for still image processing and related business, but anything video goes straight to my Windows 7 boxes. Certain legacy devices and software I use won't work with Windows 10 (a few can barely function under Win7 because they prefer XP). I resent Microsoft obnoxiously forcing stealth OS modifications on PCs I have taken great pains to lock down: how this is even legal I cannot fathom.

Except for Microsoft doing everything in their considerable power to eff up our existing stable Win7 or Win8 systems. MS saying they'll "support" 7 and 8 for another few years means nothing if they insist on damaging existing installations with their sneaky mods. All the third-party Win10 blockers and tweaks in the world can't help when MS is pushing forced new code into 7 and 8 that ignores or disables them. Even if the blockers work 100%, I shouldn't have to constantly look over my shoulder and recheck system settings every damn day because Microsoft (not a malware attack or hacker, but friggin MICROSOFT) refuses to leave my computers alone. Its a disgusting, bullying, destructive tactic. I get that the whole future of MS is riding on this, but they need to comprehend those of us sticking with an older OS have valid reasons. When we need the new Win10 features and seamless Win10 across devices, we'll opt in, but forced modification of dedicated PCs that have no use whatever for Win10 isn't gonna get us there any sooner. Its just pissing us off and causing needless headaches. FFS, every new PC ships with Win10, isn't that a huge enough base to start? With modern "bargain" laptops falling apart within two years, all MS had to do was wait for one replacement cycle to reach massive Win10 penetration.
    I agree the Mac is really useless for about everything i do video and many other items, it's used for work with my iPads and that is about all.
    Back to Win10 i had two ASUS G73s one with Win7Pro the other Win8.1 both had strange freezing problems,so i went ahead and upgraded to Win10,after a few software updates they both seem to work well.
    Now i also have to other computers both running win7Pro,and i intend on keeping them with the Win7Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Microsoft wants to have 1 billion devices running Windows 10 in 2-3 years. http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-big-windows-10-goal-one-billion-or-bust/ They only have ~125 million right now. Attrition won't work quickly enough
    Well, that is precisely the problem: Microsoft got caught up in a giant spit bubble of inverted corporate BS.

"One Billion Devices" is an outrageous, ridiculous goalpost for such a short period of time, more so in light of the fact MS really couldn't give a rat's ass about PC penetration of Win10. What they're freaking out about is being left behind in the mobile sector by Android and iOS, and they're correct to be freaking out about that: they effed up bigtime in mobile, perhaps so badly they'll never recover. But forcing Win10 onto every existing PC in the world (despite owner's wishes or best interest), in the vain hope trumpeting such a "billion" figure will compel developers to finally support Windows mobile devices in a big way: delusional. "Its the crappy Windows mobile devices, stupid" - the mobile generation doesn't give a damn what runs on their desktop or laptop, they care about the mobile device itself, period. One billion PCs force-running "free" Win10 is not gonna persuade anyone who loves their Android or iOS device to switch. This whole mess is an old-school, 1980s-style blunt-force corporate strategy: it isn't gonna fly in 2016. Thats the tragedy: they're causing untold inconvenience (if not outright damage) to millions of PC users in what amounts to a Hail Mary pass: the potential back end profit to MS will never materialize anywhere near the degree they're expecting. Too bad we're caught in the middle of this trainwreck: the shortsightedness is almost enough to make me miss the reign of Steve Ballmer. So far, Satya Nadella blows bigger chunks than Ballmer.
    Quote Quote