VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've successfully set up a multicast stream on Wowza, and I can get to it using VLC just fine. Now I wanted to try this with different players.

Is there a Silverlight player that can connect to multicast (rtp/udp) video streams?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not a good idea - Silverlight is on the way out.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True, it is not a good idea. HTML5 is swiftly replacing both Flash and Silverlight. Microsoft support for Silverlight 5 ends in October 2021. The new Microsoft Edge browser doesn't support Silverlight and Chrome recently stopped supporting Silverlight too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why would you want to use Silverlight -- unless you are using it's DRM? You can't multi-cast with that type of DRM. There needs to be a dedicated connection between each server and client.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree that it's not the best idea, but it's probably my only solution right now.

There's no HTML5 multicast player out there. Multicast uses UDP, and I don't think HTML5 supports that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Basically, you can't UDP muliticast over the internet. Routers usually do not pass multicast packets. Unless you have control every every router between your server and all the clients you will not be able to multicast.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Dec 2015 at 06:34.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I do not plan to multicast across the internet, it's all local. I already got multicast to work fine, only problem is it only works with VLC and I need it to work with a web-based player. VLC has an activex plugin, but it's not that great. A Silverlight player would be perfect, but I can't seem to find any on google searches.
    Quote Quote