VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am editing a function, where the video recording was done with 3 video cameras. My idea is to render the video as a DVD and create a disk and to render another copy with BluRay settings, although I do not have a BluRay writer or player, but might get one in future.

The info of the 3 videos differ (analysed by MediaInfo). I am therefore unsure what settings I should use to get the best quality DVD and BluRay disk (Isuppose one will be able to play the BD video by using a memory stick?)

Info from the 3 videos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	34822

Thanks for any input
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks like at least they are all pal 1920x1080 even the one that says 1440x1080 is most likely HDV which uses non-square pixels but converts to normal 16/9 for viewing. the HDV may even be progressive separated fields like the others appear to be, no way to tell as their is no flag in the stream for that. you just need to watch it closely and decide if it's interlaced or progressive.

if it were me i'd render all of them to a single format of lossless YUV avi. 1920x1080p25 would be my choice with pcm audio. since i edit in vegas i use the sony yuv codec, but huffyuv, lagarith, or any of the others would work also.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Never mind your DVD or Blu Ray outputs yet. What editing software are you using?

Generically, you should create lightweight i-frame codec proxies, do your editing and then link back or replace the proxies with your original footage -- then render out to DVD and Blu Ray compliant files.

I agree with aedipuss you should convert your audio to PCM and leave it that way until final output.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies for not answering sooner, but I was overwhelmed by the end-of-the-year rush.

I think I will give more detail and then need serious help!

Just a few words on the output, as I stated I was thinking to produce a DVD and a relatively high quality other video eg BD. The people that I am doing this for, also do not have a BD player, but a big HD TV where I think a good quality video would be so much better.

looks like at least they are all pal 1920x1080 even the one that says 1440x1080 is most likely HDV which uses non-square pixels but converts to normal 16/9 for viewing
    This is correct.

Looking at the 3 cameras, I have highlighted a few areas. The 2 JVC cameras appeared similar and are Everios. My Canon is a Legria HV40, which has since broken.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	34992
    As I only edit every few months, or now haven't edited for nearly 2 years, I found that it was a steep learning curve everytime I would go the Premiere Pro, AE route. I have used Pinnacle up to the last project, but have now changed to PowerDirector 14. This is not to say that I need to stay with these products. My first DVD's that I made , was made bwith 4 different software components and I can easily again go that route if someone can just give me guidance on what to use.

In the past, I have done a lot of transferring VHS to DVD, capturing and doing basic editing with VirtualDub and the Lagareth codec e.g. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355843-Virtualdub-filters-For-8mm-Film-That-Was-Captured-On-Vhs

Generically, you should create lightweight i-frame codec proxies, do your editing
    I read about this today and this will definately help.

if it were me i'd render all of them to a single format of lossless YUV avi. 1920x1080p25 would be my choice with pcm audio.
    This is where I get stuck. I will know it, but have no idea now where to start. I suppose I need to bring the Lagarith codec in here. Do I immediately start with e.g. Premiere Pro or PowerDirector or is some of the work done with other software?

I am just not sure how the editing process in practice will work-
    Do I need to take the clips from JVC 1, edit the proxies and render; the same with JVC 2 and Canon. Then I have three rendered videos.

I then restart with the timeline, this time I use three lines of the timeline and then decide what clip from what camera I will use, delete the others and render again. This time I have one video stream, but because it has been rendered twice, will I not lose quality?
    Is this correct or have I got it completely wrong.

Thanks for the advice up yo now. Can you also just comment on the the use of VBR and what the maximum and average bitrate we should be aiming for?

Thanks so much in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rather than lagarith you might try the "ut codec suite" it's a little newer. but yes it would involve converting all the individual clips. if there are too many to do in a reasonable time, then you are stuck using the originals. hopefully it doesn't slow down your editing software too much. i wouldn't worry about export bitrates until you have the whole video on the timeline and you know how long it is.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is excellent! Thanks.

I suppose to get this project out of the way, for me the easiest would just be to bring each clip onto the timeline, one by one.
    If it looks usable, edit a bit and render to a high bit rate with the 1080p 25fps setting. At least every clip/video will then be in the same format.

(Since I have an older version of Premiere Pro somewhere (I think CS4); might this not offer me more flexibility (eg changing settings) for the initial rendering process?)
    (At least my Canon video is not subdivided in clips at this stage!)

I have seen the "shadow file" option in PD and this I can use for the "formal" editing process, I suppose. Will need to read up on it.

I hope I have got this all right. Please confirm.

Once the editing is done and I have the length and detail of the video, I will get back to you to discuss all the other settings.

What keeps on bothering me, are the negative; by the way; non-specific comments about PowerDirector. What is the problem?- if it is related to quality, then I should get some advice to move up "higher" but not out of my reach! In that case your input would be valuable.

Just a last remark- my daughter got married recently and I have many clips, mostly with different frame rates/ interlaced or progressive, but also a significant number of clips in 4K format!! A good learning curve for me now, therefore I am willing to spend money to buy other software, if there currently might be an output quality issue or other relatively serious problem.
    Last edited by avz10; 27th Dec 2015 at 17:26.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Don't worry about the absolute image quality while you're editing. It's okay if proxies or shadows look crappy. What you want is a format that gives you responsiveness while editing. Then you link back to the high quality material in order to output.

I have no idea if Powerdirector can handle multicam editing with mixed framerates -- that's a pretty tall order.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the comments.
    I suppose for the foreseeable future the trend will be to have all these different formats, etc. I must say that the speed with which video quality/formats/etc is developing now is astounding and quite hard to keep up with!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think your biggest problem is going to be that you can only have 4 video timeline "cameras" in powerdirector and each of your clips needs to be on a separate timeline. your sub-divided clips are going to be an obstacle.
    --
    Quote Quote