VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think the rec.709 colors you are seeing in the Premiere preview of the x264 encoded video are correct since the MJPEG and Lagarith encodings were YUV, presumably without any RGB conversion. HD video is normally rec.709.

But maybe not. I used my HighlightBadRGB() (assumes rec.601) and HighlightBadRGBHD() (assumes rec.709) filters to examine the Lagarith source and the latter shows the blue background is out of spec. So maybe it is rec.601. If that's the case you can use ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709") to convert the rec.601 colors to rec.709 and encode/flag as rec.709.
    Other than the combing, they're now identical! Fingers crossed we can confirm the combing as a Premiere problem when I watch it tomorrow. And then I can re-encode, and re-burn, and watch it all over again! Pity it's not a better game. Thank god for BD-REs...

Although just to double-check...I added "interlaced=true" to the ColorMatrix() function. That was the right thing to do, yeah?

Okay, so you know your way around a pc case.
    Well, a bit. My dad knows more than I do, and was heavily involved.

Did you check the temps prior to your overheating problems?
    No.

Do you use the stock heatsink provided with the cpu?
    I have no idea, so probably...it's a relatively custom build, but only to the level of going to a computer shop, telling them what I'd be using the computer for, and asking them to put together the best machine for the job. In 2009/10, so it's probably far from it by now, although it's now got more RAM and a better graphics card. Which is probably irrelevant here.

Did you remove the thermal paste using isopropanol?
    No.

Did you put good quality paste?
    I have no idea. I went down the local computer shop and asked for thermal paste.

Did you meddle with bios settings regarding CPU voltage?
    No.

Can you post a picture of your case?
    Anything specific you want to be able to see? It's a bit of a mess in there (I'm assuming you mean the inside of the case).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Although just to double-check...I added "interlaced=true" to the ColorMatrix() function. That was the right thing to do, yeah?
    Yes. I was deinterlacing the video when checking colors so I didn't specify interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Anything specific you want to be able to see? It's a bit of a mess in there (I'm assuming you mean the inside of the case).
    I'd like to see the general layout, and the size of the cpu fan and heatsink. While you are at it make sure that all the fans are spinning.

Also, I noticed that the software you used to show the temps didn't report the VID.
    Can you try CPU-Z and post the core voltage line?
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'll get back to the overheating thing a bit later, but in the meantime...2-pass encoding suddenly isn't working properly. It only runs the first pass for some reason, I have to manually set it to "2 pass - 2nd pass" to actually generate a .264 file.

EDIT: And, randomly, my encoding temps are in the high 50s.
    Last edited by koberulz; 26th Dec 2015 at 01:16.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Up to the sixties now, but the 'time remaining' on the encode has been increasing for the past...I actually don't know how long. But it started at one day exactly, it's been going for five hours, and it's up to one day three hours.

Here's a photo:
    Last edited by koberulz; 26th Dec 2015 at 03:01.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Had to abort the encode, it's been stuck at 15% literally all day, with CPU temperatures in the 60s.

EDIT: Ugh, meant to edit that one into my last post.

EDIT 2: Since I've bumped this anyway, Core Voltage has wandered between 1.03 and 1.13 in the couple of minutes I've been watching it. That's while not running an encode, although given the encode wasn't doing anything anyway I'm guessing I have no choice in that regard.
    Last edited by koberulz; 26th Dec 2015 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Was the case open when the temps dropped? Lots of dust but everything seems so be in place and the right size. You should consider giving more space to your graphics card by putting the sound card(?) in another slot. Is there an input fan on the front and a dust filter on the power supply input fan? Get a can of compressed air and remove some dust.
    The VID voltage range should be 0.800V to 1.375V.

To check for cpu damage there is an intel utility
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit-

To check for other sources of heat try
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ackboo View Post
    Was the case open when the temps dropped?
    No. Given it got stuck at 15% I'd say it just stopped encoding, thus the drop.

You should consider giving more space to your graphics card by putting the sound card(?) in another slot.
    TV card.

Is there an input fan on the front and a dust filter on the power supply input fan?
    Is an input fan a specific thing, or am I just looking for a fan? Which side are you calling the 'front'? I have no idea about the power supply.

Get a can of compressed air and remove some dust.
    Whenever I've tried that, it's never really achieved much; I think most of it's pretty caked in by this point. I had to completely disassemble the CPU fan/heatsink last time to make any noticeable difference.
    The VID voltage range should be 0.800V to 1.375V.

Code:
    ---------------------------
    --- Testing Processor 1 ---
    ---------------------------

--- IPDT64 - rev  2.20.0.0.W.MP ---

--- Start Time: 12/26/2015 22:44:34---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer --- 

Expected --> GenuineIntel
    Detected --> GenuineIntel
    Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test --- 

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 25 degrees C below maximum.

--- Reading Brand String --- 

Detected Brand String:
    Intel Core i7          920   2.67GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency --- 

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 2.67

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 2.80155

CPU Frequency Test Passed!!!

--- FSB NOT Supported on this Processor --- 

--- Running Base Clock test --- 

Detected Base Clock --> 133
    Base Clock test Pass ---
    ..QPI rate Test not supported..
    ..Skipping QPI rate Test..

Skipping QPI rate Test

--- Running Floating Point test --- 

Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS --> 316.8
    Floating Point Test Pass ---

--- Running Prime Number Generation Test --- 

Operation Per Second--> 3.3229e+006
    Prime Number Generation Test Pass ---

--- Reading Cache Size ---  

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size --> 4 x 32
    - Detected L1 Inst Cache Size --> 4 x 32

- Detected L2 Cache Size --> 1024
    - Detected L3 Cache Size --> 8192

Cache Size Test Passed!!!

--- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities --- 

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---
    	            ---        MMX SSE       ---
    MMX		 - MMX Supported -->	Yes
    SSE		 - SSE Supported -->	Yes
    SSE2		 - SSE2 Supported -->	Yes
    SSE3		 - SSE3 Supported -->	Yes
    SSSE3		 - SSSE3 Supported -->	Yes
    SSE4.1		 - SSE4.1 Supported -->	Yes
    SSE4.2		 - SSE4.2 Supported -->	Yes
    		--- MMX SSE - capabilities check complete ---

MMX Test Result --- PASS
    SSE Test Result --- PASS
    SSE2 Test Result --- PASS
    SSE3 Test Result --- PASS
    SSSE3 Test Result --- PASS
    SSE4.1 Test Result --- PASS
    SSE4.2 Test Result --- PASS
    MMX SSE Testing Passed !! 

--- Determining AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities --- 

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---
    	           --- AVX/AES/PCLMULQDQ ---
    AVX		 - Advanced Vector Extensions Supported -->	No 
    AVX OS Support   - AVX Operating System Supported -->		No ---> No Test Required
    AES		 - Advanced Encryption Standard Supported -->	No ---> No Test Required
    PCLMULQDQ	 - Polys Carry-Less Multiply Supported -->	No ---> No Test Required
    	--- AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities check complete ---

AVX Compare Test Result --- Not Tested
    AES Test Result --- Not Tested
    PCLMULQDQ Test Result --- Not Tested
    No AVX AES PCLMULQDQ Tests required 

--- Reading Memory Size --- 

Detected Memory Size is --> 16.00GB

--- Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test --- 

--- Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test Pass!!! --- 

Integrated Memory Controller Test Pass!!!

..Platform Controller Hub Test not supported curent chipset..
    ..Skipping Platform Controller Hub Test..

Skipping Platform Controller Hub Test

..Query 3..
     --- Querying for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device (IGD) ---
    ..Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device not supported on this processor..
    ..Skipping Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device Presence Test..

--- CPU Load --- 

--- Load Level = 8

CPU Load Passed!!!

--- Temperature Test --- 

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 10 degrees C below maximum.

--- Test End Time: 12/26/2015 22:48:33---

System Information
    ------------------
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz
    Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
    Number of Physical Cores: 4
    Number of Logical Cores: 8
    Installed System Memory: 16 GB
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64-bit
    Graphics Information: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450   
    System Product: DX58SO
    System BIOS: SOX5810J.86A.5600.2013.0729.2250
    To check for other sources of heat try
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    Uh...not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at/for in that program? It's all just giant lists of voltages and temperatures.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Uh...not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at/for in that program? It's all just giant lists of voltages and temperatures.
    Any temp above 50°C, I'm suspecting your graphics card. It should appear at the bottom of the list.

Good news, as far as I can tell your cpu isn't fried

The front of the case, the part with the power button, there should be a fan blowing fresh air in the case.

Apparently you have a stock intel heatsink, they come with a pre applied thermal pad. Black stuff at the bottom made to be a thermal bridge between your cpu and the heatsink. Did you put thermal paste on that? If you did, well you shouldn't have.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Although your computer passed the temperature test with "10 degrees C below maximum" I still consider that a warning sign. For example, my i5 2500K computer which is optimized for quiet running, not minimum temps, passes with 52 degrees below max. The fact that you're getting BSODs and lockups while encoding confirms your system is overheating.

Try running with the cover off. Are CPU temps significantly lower? If so you need better case cooling. If not, there's something wrong with the CPU cooler. Intel's stock coolers are adequate for the job if you have enough case cooling.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If anything, temperatures have gone up since I took the case cover off.

Originally Posted by ackboo View Post
    Any temp above 50°C, I'm suspecting your graphics card. It should appear at the bottom of the list.
    There's a listing for "Intel Corporation DX58SO", for which the 'System' entry lists 45/50/57. The CPU is now in the mid to high 70s on all 4 cores, minimums of 55-57 and maximums of 94-100. Graphics card is 44/40/47.

The front of the case, the part with the power button, there should be a fan blowing fresh air in the case.
    It's this, none of the optional fans are installed. So no front fan, no GPU fan.

Apparently you have a stock intel heatsink, they come with a pre applied thermal pad. Black stuff at the bottom made to be a thermal bridge between your cpu and the heatsink. Did you put thermal paste on that? If you did, well you shouldn't have.
    There was some dried greyish gunk on the CPU, which my dad said was thermal paste, we cleaned that off and put new thermal paste there.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Okay, so no thermal pad but pre applied thermal paste. How did you clean it off? What color is the new thermal paste?

This case is perfect, you have room for 2 120 mm intake fans and there is a washable air filter included. The dust comes from the negative air pressure, only 1 exhaust fan at the back sucking air by every unprotected holes in the case. I suggest putting a 140 mm air filter on the top and 1 120 mm air filters on the side. Then put 2 120 mm fans on the front. There should be a bit more intake air flow than exhaust airflow.
    Since you will probably keep this case for a long time it's a good investment.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Given that running with the case open doesn't decrease your CPU temps, case cooling is not the main problem. I suspect the CPU cooler isn't seated properly or thermal paste wasn't applied properly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just wiped the paste off with a tissue, IIRC. I think we looked up how to do it on the internet. The new paste is white.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Okay, so the stock thermal paste dried up, that led to BSOD. You then removed it with a tissue and put some white thermal paste.
    The stock thermal paste was Shin-Etsu G751, very high grade paste. The white paste you applied is most likely the cheapest kind there is, not recommended.

To properly remove dried up thermal paste you need at least 70% purity isopropanol (The kind with water and isopropanol, nothing else). The contact surfaces must be perfectly clean.
    Since your cpu outputs 130 Watts of heat to a stock heatsink you need better paste. I use Arctic Cooling MX-4. Thermal conductivity of 8.5 W/mk. Try to find an equivalent. This should fix it.

Here is the proper method:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

If you don't add fans to your case at least add air filters, it's cheap and worth every penny.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Googling around for computer places I've vaguely heard of and looking on their sites, I found these:
    http://www.austin.net.au/arctic-silver-5-thermal-paste-35-gram-compoun.html
    http://www.austin.net.au/noctua-nt-h1-thermal-compound.html
    http://www.austin.net.au/big-ant-cool-silver-thermal-compound-hy420-fo.html

I know nothing about any of them.

What is an air filter? Is there another name for it? I'm coming up empty on searches on that site and a couple of others.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Arctic Silver or Noctua should be fine. I never heard of Big Ant.

Here's an example of a fan filter:

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-120mm-Filter-Grill-FF121/dp/B0036WTDHK/

Make sure what you get will work with your fans/case. You want one on each fan blowing into the case to reduce the amount of dust that enters the case. Then you want a slight positive pressure inside the case to prevent dust being sucked in through any other vents/holes.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Dec 2015 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The case itself already has that hexagonal thing on it, so do I just need the mesh? A search for 'fan filter' rather than 'air filter' still only returns cases, power supplies, etc. though.

How on earth do I achieve 'slight positive pressure inside the case'?

EDIT: Ugh, they're not open for another week anyway. I hate Christmas.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Here are my recommendations :
    Thermal paste :
    http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080&cm_re=therma...-080-_-Product

Fan filters :
    120 mm + 140 mm
    http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999299

Case fan :
    noctua 120 mm for the front of the case but before recommending anything you need to locate the power plug on your case or motherboard. Is it 3 or 4 pins?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    How on earth do I achieve 'slight positive pressure inside the case'?
    Have more (or stronger) fans blowing in than blowing out. You can test by feeling the air flow at any opening (without a fan) in the case. If air is coming out of the hole you have positive air pressure inside the case.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You achieve slight positive pressure by moving more air in than you move air out.
    For example by putting 2 intake fans at the front and 1 exhaust fan at the back. In practice you need to look at the air flow numbers
    http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026
    Air Flow 93.4 m3/h max - You add the airflow numbers, the intake total should be a bit higher.

Since you don't have the numbers for the existing fans (120 mm at the back and the power supply) don't bother with that. Putting 2 120 mm fans at the front of the case should be enough anyway. You just need to look up how to connect them.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Do they ship from Australia? It's a month or more to get it here if they don't, whereas I can get to Austin in a touch over a week. And I have games stacking up here with more happening almost every day, so I need to get these videos encoded ASAP.

Case fan :
    noctua 120 mm for the front of the case but before recommending anything you need to locate the power plug on your case or motherboard. Is it 3 or 4 pins?
    I have no idea what I'm even looking for. The case is an Antec Three Hundred, the motherboard an intel DX58SO.

EDIT: Magnetic computer parts? Is that a good idea?
    Quote Quote  
  23. No idea if they ship from australia, if you need it done asap just locate computer shops near you and ask for the parts over the phone. Now that you know exactly what you need and how it should be done it will be easier to weed out the bad ones.

I'll try to look things up on my side

EDIT: couldn't find the regular ones in australia, don't worry about that, it's designed for computers.
    Last edited by ackboo; 26th Dec 2015 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The CPU cooler and thermal paste are the critical items for you now. Concentrate on that first.
    Quote Quote  
  25. CPU cooler?
    Quote Quote  
  26. And if you want to do it yourself don't forget the cleaning products, isopropanol or a kit like that :
    http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

EDIT: Don't panic ^^
    Quote Quote  
  27. Your priority is to reapply the thermal paste properly, jagabo is right.
    Find thermal paste with a good thermal conductivity, anything above 4.5 W/mk
    Find isopropanol or the kit I linked to
    Follow the instructions on the pdf I linked to

Anything else is optional.

Anyway, you have a good motherboard. There are 2 3pins connectors on the right side, page 53 :
    https://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/eng/DX58SO_ProductGuide02_English.pdf

So, find 2 120mm fans with 3 pins connectors, a long enough cable, be careful to connect it the right way.
    Quote Quote  
  28. One of Austin's locations was open today, although it was a bit of a trek. Went and got some Arctic Silver 5. Spoke to the guy there, he was quite insistent I only needed to use a tissue to clean the old stuff away. Had a search around for isopropyl alcohol anyway, found some about thirty seconds down the road.

Followed the Arctic PDF, and just booted back up. It's all in working order, but temps were still in the sixties not even doing anything. Dropping to mid-fifties now. Core voltage is ranging from 1.03 to 1.16.

Currently running with the case off, figured that's better than putting it back on at least until I get those other fans and what have you.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Are you saying there is no improvement at all?

Close the case so we can compare with the data we have
    Launch HWmonitor
    Run an encode for 15 minutes
    Give us the temps for the cpu, motherboard, gpu. current/min/max

Did you have any trouble with the heatsink? Does it feel well seated on the cpu?
    Was everything clean as new?
    Quote Quote  
  30. There wasn't initially, but it must have just taken some time to work or something, as things dropped pretty quick. Decided to run an encode, it's on the first pass now:

HWMonitor:
    Motherboard Zone 2: 50/50/50
    Motherboard System: 58/58/58
    Motherboard CPU: 65/64/65

CPU Core 0: 71/69/79
    CPU Core 1: 76/71/79
    CPU Core 2: 71/68/76
    CPU Core 3: 75/71/79

GPU: 42/42/42

So it's around twenty degrees lower.

EDIT: Case is still off, but I ran a quick encode in BDRebuilder last night with the case off and that was 98-99 the whole way through.

EDIT 2: Core voltage has been 1.195 every time I've looked at it.
    Quote Quote