VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the one-core MeGUI encode ended, probably unsurprisingly, exactly the same as the successful multi-core encodes. Colours are still wrong, and shifted.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It occurred to me just now to check what the AVS looked like in terms of colours and chroma shift. That's only viewable in MeGUI with both fields visible, which makes it a bit hard to tell, and I'm not sure if there's a way to take a screenshot for easy comparison, but it appears the chroma shift has already occurred. The man in the background has a dark outline around his collar, rather than a second, combed collar. The colours appear to match the AVI better than the .264, though.

TBH, since this is just me keeping games for my own personal use, I'm happy to try and work out the colour issue later, but the chroma shift is making it unwatchable so that does need fixing ASAP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, VirtualDub screenshots. Can't figure out a way to get the .264 file to open, but the AVI and AVS are different, so it's enough to be getting on with (check the collar of the guy in the background, where it meets the side of his neck).

AVI:

AVS:

Here's the AVS script:
    Code:
    AVISource("[filename].avi").AssumeFPS(25,1)

ConvertToYV12()
    Generated that with MeGUI's AVS Script Creator.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your video is interlaced. It needs ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true). And downstream processing needs to deal with it as interlaced video too. Unless you deinterlace it within script script.

By the way, improper resizing of interlaced video can lead to tearing artifacts too. So this could account for your earlier torn frame problems.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Dec 2015 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not being resized anywhere.

The encode is apparently going to take 24 hours. All the others have been 9-10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why aren't you working with a 1 minute segment until you figure out what's going on?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, here's the result, as captured in Premiere, displaying only one field:

So I'm getting the same chroma shift, but it's combed instead of solid. It's correctly flagged in Premiere as TFF; changing it to Progressive just increases the amount of combing. Again, it disappears once he stops moving:

Playing the .264 in PowerDVD it actually looks alright, but it's almost an hour longer than it should be. That point, which is at 00:34:44:15 in the Premiere timeline, is somehow 01:12:20 playing the .264 in PowerDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Well, here's the result, as captured in Premiere, displaying only one field:

So I'm getting the same chroma shift, but it's combed instead of solid.
    That's typical interlaced YV12 being handled as progressive YV12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But it doesn't look right, regardless of how it's flagged.

Flagged as progressive:

Flagged as upper first:

Flagged as lower first:

The sequence itself is upper field first:

And MeGUI is set to handle it as upper field first:
    Last edited by koberulz; 24th Dec 2015 at 00:37.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Make sure your MJPEG codec is set to interlaced mode, both when encoding and decoding. Most have a setting like "Assume interlaced if height greater than [___]".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When decoding? You mean in Premiere? It's flagged as TFF there. I'm generating it with a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle:
    Quote Quote  
  12. All I can tell you is that somewhere along the line your interlaced chroma is being treated as progressive chroma.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What about the Lagarith AVI, referenced in the AVS? The AVS itself won't even open in VirtualDub now, although it works fine in MPC.

Code:
    General
    Format                           : AVI
    Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile                   : OpenDML
    File size                        : 227 GiB
    Duration                         : 1h 50mn
    Overall bit rate                 : 294 Mbps
    Recorded date                    : 2015-12-16T02:50:22+08:00

Video
    ID                               : 0
    Format                           : Lagarith
    Codec ID                         : LAGS
    Bit rate                         : 292 Mbps
    Width                            : 1 920 pixels
    Height                           : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
    Color space                      : YUV
    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 5.634
    Stream size                      : 226 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness      : Little
    Format settings, Sign            : Signed
    Codec ID                         : 1
    Codec ID/Hint                    : Microsoft
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth                        : 16 bits
    Stream size                      : 1.19 GiB (1%)
    Interleave, duration             : 1000 ms (25.00 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration     : 1000 ms
    Quote Quote  
  14. What's your script? Post a sample of your source.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I posted the script earlier:
    Code:
    AVISource("[filename].avi").AssumeFPS(25,1)

ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    When you say 'source'...the MJPEG? The Lagarith? How do I get a sample without re-encoding?

EDIT: Just checked the AVS via MeGUI's preview...it's still wrong, when compared to displaying the same frame of the Lagarith AVI in Premiere. The combs (teeth?) are noticeably thicker.
    Last edited by koberulz; 24th Dec 2015 at 10:29.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm usually involved in a dozen threads here so forgive me if I can't keep track of all the details of your thread. You can use VirtualDub in Video -> Direct Stream Copy mode to trim a short segment of your source without reencoding. Upload a short segment of the MJPEG and Lagarith chapters. Something with motion so the comb artifacts show clearly -- like the in the samples you've uploaded recently. Then explain exactly how you captured each of the clips.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well...this just got weirder. Was cutting it up in VirtualDub, when I caught this frame on the MJPEG:

But it looks like this on the Lagarith:

And yet, if I load the MJPEG into Premiere, I get this:

My head hurts.

Here's my process: BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle captures as MJPEG, with the settings shown earlier. MJPEG is loaded into Premiere, edited, output as YUY2 Lagarith. Lagarith is loaded into AVS, AVS into MeGUI, MeGUI creates the .264 file. I've brought the .264 and Lagarith files back into Premiere and dropped them into the same sequence as the edited MJPEG, just for easy comparison.

Here are your requested samples: MJPEG, Lagarith. Includes the above graphic followed immediately by the section from which all my stills have been taken. Each one second long, MJPEG is 15.6 MB, Lagarith 43.3 MB.
    Quote Quote  
  18. VirtualDub doesn't display interlaced YV12 properly. If your MJPEG decoder is putting out YV12 you expect to see blended chroma like in you image. This will have no effect on the output video using Direct Stream Copy mode.

Just about to head out, I'll take a look at the video samples later.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The good news is that both the Lagarith and MJPEG AVI files are correctly encoded as interlaced, TFF. The bad news is that some MJPEG decoders don't handle the MJPEG decoding properly. VirtualDub's built in MJPEG decoder (you have to enable it in VirtualDub's preferences) and AviSynth's ffVideoSource() work properly, producing interlaced YUY2 video.

I wasn't able to get ffdshow to decompress the video properly. It always performed a field swap (equivalent to SwapFields() in AviSynth) which physically places the top field below the bottom field leading to jaggy edges on still frames, and has the side effects of converting the video to BFF and screwing up the chroma channels. ffdshow was also having problems with random seeks -- it often delivered the wrong frame. That shouldn't happen with intrframe codecs like MJPEG. I don't have any other mjpeg decoders installed now so I dont' know if others will work or not.

Actually, I was able to get ffdshow to decode the video properly by using its ability to apply AviSynth filters. Adding SwapFields() to was enough to fix all the problems -- except the out-of-order frames with random seeks. If you have ffdshow installed I would disable its MJPEG decoding to make sure it isn't screwing up your videos.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Surely if the Lagarith is okay, MJPEG decoding isn't the problem? The MJPEG is only being used to generate the Lagarith, then the Lagarith goes into the AVS file and thus MeGUI.

I've disabled ffdshow decoding for MJPEG anyway...now what? Re-create the Lagarith?

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. Still getting thick combs in MeGUI's preview of the AVS, and the .264 looks exactly the same as it did before.

Premiere:

MeGUI:
    Last edited by koberulz; 24th Dec 2015 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is really just one clearly defined implementation of Lagarith decoding, but there are a multitude of implementations of mjpeg, with different decoders built upon different multimedia architectures, and the format itself is loosely defined, so there ARE incompatibilities and inconsistencies.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Surely if the Lagarith is okay, MJPEG decoding isn't the problem? The MJPEG is only being used to generate the Lagarith
    Yes, since the Lagarith file is OK MJPEG decoding isn't the problem.

Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    then the Lagarith goes into the AVS file and thus MeGUI.
    So your AVS script looks like:
    Code:
    AviSource("lagarith.avi")
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    Then you open that script with MeGUI. At that point you see problems in MeGUI's preview window. I wouldn't worry about that, MeGUI doesn't display interlaced YV12 properly, just like VirtualDub. But then you encode with x264 in interlaced mode and you have problems? I have an old version of MeGUI (I never really use it) but when I use it to encode that script with x264 in interlaced mode I see no problems with the result. Sample attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's...weird. Obviously some difference in the encoding settings...I'm encoding for Blu-Ray .264.

I can't import the mkv into Premiere for a direct comparison, and have to head out now, but in PowerDVD your mkv is an improvement on my .264.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are I-frames or something like that a possible impact? Sometimes I get this:

Other times, this:

Additionally, sometimes I have to press 'step forward' multiple times to get any movement in my .264, and I took a screenshot of a frame from your .mkv that wasn't even present in my .264...and then it showed back up. Just bizarre.

I used MKVExtract to get a .h264 file from the MKV, manually renamed it .264, and it now imports into Premiere...and looks exactly as awful as mine. Here it is flagged as upper field first in Premiere:

And for reference, here's the Lagarith, on the same frame:
    Quote Quote  
  25. You just have a playback problem. Long GOP, out of order, codecs are meant for linear playback. Many decoders get the wrong frame or corrupt frames when random seeking. The problems usually clear up a the next keyframe.

Open my video with ffVideoSource in and AviSynth script (you'll need the ffmpeg source plugin):

Code:
    ffVideoSource("Lagarith.avi.mkv") 
    AssumeTFF()
    Bob()
    And seek around. You'll see there are no problems. Then do the same with videos you've produced.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Dec 2015 at 08:43.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Combing where there shouldn't be combing, in Premiere where it can presumably look in both directions, seems odd though. Haven't actually made any changes to the process since creating that full .264 encode, so I had a quick look at that on Blu-Ray on my TV, and it does seem like it's okay, though. I'll watch the whole thing through tomorrow.

So...is there anything we can do about the actual colours? The .264 is still looking decidedly more orange than the AVIs.
    Last edited by koberulz; 25th Dec 2015 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
  27. hello,
    regarding your CPU temp, according to intel the rated max temp during normal use is 67.9°C
    http://ark.intel.com/Products/Spec/SLBCH

once you reach 85°C the CPU will try to protect itself and throttle down, this will slow down your encodes.

Anyway it is a problem you want fixed. Have someone check the fan or remove the heatsink to check WTF is going on. Could also be a faulty or misconfigured motherboard, no airflow in the case, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, I took it in to have it looked at after some overheating-related shutdowns a while ago. They charged a ridiculous amount of money, kept it for three days, and reported having stress-tested it for that entire time without issue. All they'd done was clean it out and turn the power supply up the other way.

Prior to taking it in, I'd cleaned it out myself, including pulling much of it apart, including the fan and heatsink from the processor. Removed and replaced the thermal paste.

So...yeah, I have no idea. Being in Australia, it is pretty hot here at the moment, but still.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I think the rec.709 colors you are seeing in the Premiere preview of the x264 encoded video are correct since the MJPEG and Lagarith encodings were YUV, presumably without any RGB conversion. HD video is normally rec.709.

But maybe not. I used my HighlightBadRGB() (assumes rec.601) and HighlightBadRGBHD() (assumes rec.709) filters to examine the Lagarith source and the latter shows the blue background is out of spec. So maybe it is rec.601. If that's the case you can use ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709") to convert the rec.601 colors to rec.709 and encode/flag as rec.709.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Dec 2015 at 11:33.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Okay, so you know your way around a pc case. Did you check the temps prior to your overheating problems? Do you use the stock heatsink provided with the cpu? Did you remove the thermal paste using isopropanol? Did you put good quality paste? Did you meddle with bios settings regarding CPU voltage? Can you post a picture of your case? Do you want to answer more questions?
    Quote Quote