VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Win 7 x64
    i7 4770k
    R9 280X

I have some .tga files which I recorded in CSGO. It's like a 20 second log clip or something like that, around 10k ticks, 240 fps. I start Virtualdubs 1.10.4 (I have tried both 32 and 64 bit, same problem) and let it process the video. After a couple minutes of processing, my internet gets slow as **** and then it dies out completely. After that my PC starts acting weird and laggy and eventually it disconnects the hard drive I am saving the processed video to and I have to restart my PC in order to access the HDD again.

I've tried to encode the file to .avi from virtualdubs to two different HDD's with over 400GB of free space. Same problem every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. That might be caused by a bad USB cable. Or a drive with bad blocks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That might be caused by a bad USB cable. Or a drive with bad blocks.
    Bad USB cable? I'm not using any USB device. Are you saying it could help to defragment my HDD? Or even format it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That might be caused by a bad USB cable. Or a drive with bad blocks.
    The HDD I'm trying to save the video to is a normal internal 3.5" SATA drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For some reason I thought you were using an external drive. But a bad SATA or IDE cable could cause similar problems. Or a bad block on such a drive. Though usually you get disk error warning messages. I would run Microsoft's disk error checking utility with a full surface scan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a PC that behaved similarly like this. Drove me mad. Found out it was my C drive failing (is that where VirtualDub is running?). Jagabo may be correct.

My problem did start with a block, but it got terribly worse. Did you get a warning? Regardless, run the scan anyway. Run chkdsk - plenty of info on how to do this with a search if you don't know.

As well, other things could be affecting it too. I'd say pull out some cards, such as ethernet, sound card, video card, etc, and even RAM, and clean them, particularly the contacts, and put them back in. Something like this inside your motherboard can create havoc too. Hopefully it's just dirt/dust. If any of them are failing you should know also. (Clean with care obviously. Plenty of guides on this too with a search.)
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It could be overheating too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    I had a PC that behaved similarly like this. Drove me mad. Found out it was my C drive failing (is that where VirtualDub is running?). Jagabo may be correct.

My problem did start with a block, but it got terribly worse. Did you get a warning? Regardless, run the scan anyway. Run chkdsk - plenty of info on how to do this with a search if you don't know.

As well, other things could be affecting it too. I'd say pull out some cards, such as ethernet, sound card, video card, etc, and even RAM, and clean them, particularly the contacts, and put them back in. Something like this inside your motherboard can create havoc too. Hopefully it's just dirt/dust. If any of them are failing you should know also. (Clean with care obviously. Plenty of guides on this too with a search.)
    I don't have any heat issues. I'm rendering videos all the time and encoding without any problems whatsoever. My computer is perfectly stable with any stressing program I run except from Virtualdubs. My C drive is an SSD and virtualdubs is installed on it, but I tried to start virutaldubs from another HDD and it did not fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If I was you I'd make a full image backup of your drive right away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Peterfittpan View Post
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post

I don't have any heat issues. I'm rendering videos all the time and encoding without any problems whatsoever. My computer is perfectly stable with any stressing program I run except from Virtualdubs. My C drive is an SSD and virtualdubs is installed on it, but I tried to start virutaldubs from another HDD and it did not fix the problem.
    I didn't say it was overheating, it was Jagabo. But, nevertheless, I wouldn't rule out overheating as a problem, and if it's not your PC that is overheating, it could be a component inside, like a graphics card for example. Nevertheless, did you run chkdsk? I'm still suspicious of your drive. SSD can have issues worse sometimes.

As well, if it may be software related, directly with VirtualDub and video processing, it could be a VFW issue with a codec, DirectShow related, or even a filter in VirtualDub. First thing I'd try here is running VirtualDub with a fresh version, and see what happens, and add a few filters at a time. Maybe there's some conflict somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post

I didn't say it was overheating, it was Jagabo. But, nevertheless, I wouldn't rule out overheating as a problem, and if it's not your PC that is overheating, it could be a component inside, like a graphics card for example. Nevertheless, did you run chkdsk? I'm still suspicious of your drive. SSD can have issues worse sometimes.

As well, if it may be software related, directly with VirtualDub and video processing, it could be a VFW issue with a codec, DirectShow related, or even a filter in VirtualDub. First thing I'd try here is running VirtualDub with a fresh version, and see what happens, and add a few filters at a time. Maybe there's some conflict somewhere.
    I have the latest version of virtualdubs. It's the first time I try the program today. I have checked all temperatures and they are just fine. Chkdsk reporting no bad sectors or errors on any of the disks. Tried to use Lagorith lossless codec, same problem. This is frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  12. VirtualDub is one of the most robust programs around. You should look elsewhere for the root cause of your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Peterfittpan
    I have the latest version of virtualdubs. It's the first time I try the program today. I have checked all temperatures and they are just fine. Chkdsk reporting no bad sectors or errors on any of the disks. Tried to use Lagorith lossless codec, same problem. This is frustrating.
    Is Lagarith the only format not working?

I've had my issues with it myself, which is why I use HuffYUV instead for lossless, which is a bit bigger in file size but more stable IMO and faster. Keep in mind, you'd have to install it manually in Win7, but it's easy to do and demonstrated here.

If Lagarith is your only issue, then try HuffYUV.

(Also mentioning, Firefox - what's up with it lately? Is it me, or has this browser had serious issues in recent updates, freezing my system, etc. No, I don't have all these plugins on it, it's just simply turning into a bad browser, and it too has created such problems on my PC, and have to refresh it once in a while... Geez.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Originally Posted by Peterfittpan
    Is Lagarith the only format not working?

I've had my issues with it myself, which is why I use HuffYUV instead for lossless, which is a bit bigger in file size but more stable IMO and faster. Keep in mind, you'd have to install it manually in Win7, but it's easy to do and demonstrated here.

If Lagarith is your only issue, then try HuffYUV.

(Also mentioning, Firefox - what's up with it lately? Is it me, or has this browser had serious issues in recent updates, freezing my system, etc. No, I don't have all these plugins on it, it's just simply turning into a bad browser, and it too has created such problems on my PC, and have to refresh it once in a while... Geez.)
    Same problem with all codecs. I have tried to use no compression at all and the exact same issue happens. I don't understand why it disconnects my internet after virtualdubs has been processing the video for a couple minutes. It completely ****s up my whole PC, everything starts lagging. The CPU, GPU and RAM is just fine. No overheating nor even close to overloading.

If I just try to process a few seconds, like 20% of the actual clip, it does work and finishes the process without any problem.

Programs also randomly stops working when I'm in the middle of processing a video in virtualdubs. I just got error message "Gyazo process has stopped working" and two seconds later I got "Windows hosts process has stopped working". After that explorer stopped working...
    Last edited by Peterfittpan; 8th Dec 2015 at 08:19.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Peterfittpan View Post
    "Gyazo process has stopped working"
    Interesting hint. I suspect that is your real problem.

You may be able to work around it in VirtualDub by disabling: Options -> Preferences -> Display (left pane) -> Use DirectX for display panes. Exit and restart VirtualDub. Any better?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    "Gyazo process has stopped working"
    Interesting hint. I suspect that is your real problem.

You may be able to work around it in VirtualDub by disabling: Options -> Preferences -> Display (left pane) -> Use DirectX for display panes. Exit and restart VirtualDub. Any better?
    Gyazo is definitely not the problem. Sometimes the computer just straight up freezes, sometimes it's a random program that stops working. Doesn't have to be Gyazo that stops working.

I'm starting to think that the problem is the .tga files or the HDD that the .tga files is stored on. I'm trying to copy all of the .tga files from one HDD to another and they are in total 36 GB, 6k files. I have copied almost half of the files and there has been two errors so far during the file copy. The error is "Error 0x8007045D: the request could not be performed 3562.tga because of an I/O error" and then I can chose Skip or Try again. If I chose Try again, the same error pops up. If I chose Skip it takes a few minutes and then the error comes up again but with another file.

Okay I am pretty sure something is wrong with the HDD. I ran a chkdsk /f on the HDD again and in the middle of the process explorer crashed.
    Last edited by Peterfittpan; 8th Dec 2015 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Peterfittpan View Post
    I'm starting to think that the problem is the .tga files or the HDD that the .tga files is stored on. I'm trying to copy all of the .tga files from one HDD to another and they are in total 36 GB, 6k files. I have copied almost half of the files and there has been two errors so far during the file copy.
    Starting? You obviously didn't run a full file/surface scan when you ran CHKDSK or the GUI equivalent. It would have picked that up easily. Not being able to copy the file indicates a corrupt file system or bad blocks, not a bad file.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm starting to think that the problem is the .tga files or the HDD that the .tga files is stored on. I'm trying to copy all of the .tga files from one HDD to another and they are in total 36 GB, 6k files. I have copied almost half of the files and there has been two errors so far during the file copy.
    Starting? You obviously didn't run a full file/surface scan when you ran CHKDSK or the GUI equivalent. It would have picked that up easily. Not being able to copy the file indicates a corrupt file system or bad blocks, not a bad file.
    First time I ran it via the command line with no errors at all, this time I ran it via the GUI and that is giving me an error. I'm running it via the GUI for the second time right now and it hasn't crashed anything yet but I bet it will. Yeeep, Windows Explorer did just crash and that automatically closes the chkdsk process...

I'm running a chkdsk /r /f right now.

Almost every program running on my PC crashed during the chkdsk, but chkdsk is still running. However it seems to be stuck at "verifying file data (stage 4 of 5) 10% complete. 31890 of 68336 files processed.
    Last edited by Peterfittpan; 8th Dec 2015 at 09:28.
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you ran the GUI version to completion the CLI version may not find any bad blocks because the GUI version has already found them and marked them bad.

Once a drive has developed a bad block it's quite likely it will get more shortly. Keep in mind that modern drives hold sectors in reserve for automatically re-mapping bad blocks (this is invisible to the file system). So Windows detecting a bad block means those reserve sectors have been exhausted. I wouldn't trust the drive with anything important.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like our first suspicion - your hard drive. Better back it up. Keep in mind, although the technology has improved in recent years, and continues to do so, SSD drives do indeed have a definite and expected limited life. They are built for performance, not archiving.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Actually chkdsk seems to be still running. I can hear the HDD working and now it's at 45278 of 68336 files processed and it's moving forward all the time. However it still says "10% percent complete" which is a lie. I'm gonna let it run and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  22. CHKDSK with a full surface scan can take several hours. After scanning the file system and each file It reads every single sector of the drive so the time it takes varies with the number of files and size of the drive. When it finds a troublesome sector it reads the same sector multiple times (the drive itself may take 30 seconds to read the bad sector) so it gets even slower when bad blocks are encountered. The "percent complete" isn't accurate and it's not linear.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Dec 2015 at 10:10.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The chkdsk cmd window just crashed, it was maybe 70% done... What to do now? Do it again in safe mode?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Now you copy all the files you can off the drive and throw it away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When correction procedures on a drive fail then you can start to bet money that it's dying/dead.

I've disposed of three SSD drives in the last 3-4 years. This is normal, and I expect this, and plan for this in advance. Especially if you do indeed do "heavy plumbing" on them, like I do, which is capturing and encoding. Especially more so if the files are like major GB sizes too.

Try other software on them for fun. You may see other programs failing too now.

That's SSD for you my friend in this day and age. Great work tools that run bright until they snuff out. Until the tech improves never archive on them.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Of course, if it's still under warranty, get it replaced.
    Quote Quote