VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used DVD Shrink for years and years on my XP and then Windows 7 machines, and it simply worked perfectly whenever I happened to need it. Now I'm on Windows 10 though, and it seems that this faithful and reliable old workhorse has finally met its end.

Any suggestions for a quick, easy and free solution which does the same job? I have plenty of more advanced tools which will rip DVD/BluRay content and convert to MKV files for my home NAS-based system. However what I really need at the moment is something that will allow me to do quick and simple re-authoring of my aging mother's DVD collection so she can watch her films just by putting a disc into her basic player (i.e. reauthor them to remove all the crap adverts, company messages, menus, extras, options, and just make the film itself auto-play when you insert the disc). Just want to keep the main film, its chapter marks, and the regular English soundtrack.

DVD Shrink was perfect for doing this semi-automatically (and shrinking for single-layer DVD if needed) so it's really annoying that it has finally bitten the dust under Windows 10. What are other people using for this sort of task these days?

Andre
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtual machines. Use them. Make ISO.
    Burn ISO is 10 with Imgburn.

Done.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the program in the start menu/all apps in win 10 go to properties, compatability mode and try running in win 7 mode
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    DVDShrink still works for me in Windows 10, though I almost forgot that I still had it installed. Just tested it to make certain.

If changing compatibility mode doesn't work for you, have you tried the free version of DVDRebuilder? It will not be as fast, but should give better quality results.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still working in my XP,Win7 and Win10,yours is the first instance of this claim.Perhaps a reinstall might be of some use,from a reputable download site of course!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I'll check again then. A quick Google search gave me the impression that DVD Shrink could not be made to work with Win10, so I stopped trying. I had already thought of trying a virtual machine (I have a Win 7 64-bit test system running in VirtualBox) but that failed to load the DVD contents into DVD Shrink, it just got stuck trying to scan.

I'll go back and try some more though if other people have it working! Thanks all.

Andre
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, still not working (won't even start when I try to run it). Tried various compatibility modes, inc XP-SP3 and 7. Windows error logs look like this, in case anyone has any ideas?

Code:
    Faulting application name: DVD Shrink 3.2.exe, version: 3.2.0.15, time stamp: 0x4103f8b5
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00622598
    Faulting process id: 0x1b68
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1313a7c3b163e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Shrink\DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: 40d16ec1-0b3e-4ab7-bf0c-75a5a25c6119
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Code:
    Fault bucket -1001445462, type 5
    Event Name: BEX
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    P2: 3.2.0.15
    P3: 4103f8b5
    P4: StackHash_7b69
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 00000000
    P7: PCH_31_FROM_DVD_Shrink_3_2+0x00190EFC
    P8: c0000005
    P9: 00000008
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Andre Willey\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3D97.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_DVD Shrink 3.2.e_ab8f7edd5805ea6d07d48cd638ed48c5b80365c_10052489_26a0448c

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 40d16ec1-0b3e-4ab7-bf0c-75a5a25c6119
    Report Status: 0
    Hashed bucket: 8bb306d02f0c1ba0486c1a9be1b32e3c
    Code:
    Version=1
    EventType=BEX
    EventTime=130939991436188083
    ReportType=2
    Consent=1
    UploadTime=130939991440198516
    ReportIdentifier=ba0d36cc-9d2d-11e5-b85c-00248c9475e7
    IntegratorReportIdentifier=40d16ec1-0b3e-4ab7-bf0c-75a5a25c6119
    WOW64=1
    NsAppName=DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    Response.BucketId=8bb306d02f0c1ba0486c1a9be1b32e3c
    Response.BucketTable=5
    Response.LegacyBucketId=-1001445462
    Response.type=4
    Sig[0].Name=Application Name
    Sig[0].Value=DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    Sig[1].Name=Application Version
    Sig[1].Value=3.2.0.15
    Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
    Sig[2].Value=4103f8b5
    Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
    Sig[3].Value=StackHash_7b69
    Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
    Sig[4].Value=0.0.0.0
    Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
    Sig[5].Value=00000000
    Sig[6].Name=Exception Offset
    Sig[6].Value=PCH_31_FROM_DVD_Shrink_3_2+0x00190EFC
    Sig[7].Name=Exception Code
    Sig[7].Value=c0000005
    Sig[8].Name=Exception Data
    Sig[8].Value=00000008
    DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
    DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.10586.2.0.0.768.101
    DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
    DynamicSig[2].Value=2057
    DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Information 1
    DynamicSig[22].Value=7b69
    DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Information 2
    DynamicSig[23].Value=7b69f554e66c06a713a1c0783c205e2b
    DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Information 3
    DynamicSig[24].Value=2b2f
    DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Information 4
    DynamicSig[25].Value=2b2f4375b80fead797587cb44cf4a544
    UI[2]=C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Shrink\DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    UI[3]=DVD Shrink 3.2 has stopped working
    UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
    UI[5]=Check online for a solution and close the program
    UI[6]=Check online for a solution later and close the program
    UI[7]=Close the program
    LoadedModule[0]=C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Shrink\DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    LoadedModule[1]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    LoadedModule[2]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNEL32.DLL
    LoadedModule[3]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    LoadedModule[4]=C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll
    LoadedModule[5]=C:\WINDOWS\AppPatch\AcLayers.DLL
    LoadedModule[6]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcrt.dll
    LoadedModule[7]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USER32.dll
    LoadedModule[8]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\GDI32.dll
    LoadedModule[9]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SHELL32.dll
    LoadedModule[10]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cfgmgr32.dll
    LoadedModule[11]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\windows.storage.dll
    LoadedModule[12]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\combase.dll
    LoadedModule[13]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RPCRT4.dll
    LoadedModule[14]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SspiCli.dll
    LoadedModule[15]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CRYPTBASE.dll
    LoadedModule[16]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bcryptPrimitives.dll
    LoadedModule[17]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sechost.dll
    LoadedModule[18]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\advapi32.dll
    LoadedModule[19]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shlwapi.dll
    LoadedModule[20]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\kernel.appcore.dll
    LoadedModule[21]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shcore.dll
    LoadedModule[22]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\powrprof.dll
    LoadedModule[23]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\profapi.dll
    LoadedModule[24]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLEAUT32.dll
    LoadedModule[25]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SETUPAPI.dll
    LoadedModule[26]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MPR.dll
    LoadedModule[27]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sfc.dll
    LoadedModule[28]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINSPOOL.DRV
    LoadedModule[29]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bcrypt.dll
    LoadedModule[30]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sfc_os.DLL
    LoadedModule[31]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SortServer2003Compat.dll
    LoadedModule[32]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IMM32.DLL
    LoadedModule[33]=C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.10586.0_none_d3c2e4e965da4528\COMCTL32.dll
    LoadedModule[34]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\comdlg32.dll
    LoadedModule[35]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FirewallAPI.dll
    LoadedModule[36]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NETAPI32.dll
    LoadedModule[37]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DAVHLPR.DLL
    LoadedModule[38]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\fwbase.dll
    LoadedModule[39]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ole32.dll
    LoadedModule[40]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\oledlg.dll
    LoadedModule[41]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VERSION.dll
    LoadedModule[42]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINMM.dll
    LoadedModule[43]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINMMBASE.dll
    State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
    State[0].Value=1
    FriendlyEventName=Stopped working
    ConsentKey=BEX
    AppName=DVD Shrink 3.2
    AppPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Shrink\DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
    NsPartner=windows
    NsGroup=windows8
    ApplicationIdentity=FA5C07A00B8D0ACB932374B5EBD67CCE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest update:

Still can't get DVD Shrink to load at all in Win 10, so I went back to my VirtualBox Win7 system (as at least that allowed the interface to load). I found that by setting ATAPI mode to passthrough in the storage device emulation settings, it now analyses discs fine. A lot slower than usual, but as it's not exactly something I'll be using every day any more, I think it'll do for now.

Andre
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Uninstall DVDShrink. Start regedit. Go to HKey_Current User-->Software-->DVDShrink and right click on DVDShrink so that you can delete it. Close regedit without touching anything else. Reboot.

Reinstall DVDShrink using the version found at the direct link here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Shrink

Edit: Too late in my reply I see. At least you got something working.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 8th Dec 2015 at 03:42. Reason: Fixed dvd shrink link....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had already tried an uninstall and clean re-install of DVD Shrink (I was already using the final valid 2004 version 3.2.0.15, but I did a file verify just in case). There were no orphaned registry entries left behind after the uninstall. Problem is still the same after re-installing though. The program has simply performed perfectly for so long (more than 10 years!), and while the virtual machine route kinda works, it's really slow and clunky.

I'll keep trying to find an answer anyway, and watch here in case anyone else has any thoughts. Thanks all.

Andre
    Quote Quote  
  11. You may get DVDShrink to work if you add the DVDShrink.exe to the windows DEP exception list. I am not using windows 10 so I can not test if this fixes your problem.

greetz,

Ben
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, it solved the problem.
    DVDShrink did not start anymore on my Windows 10, with the Event Log registering a trace such as:

Nom de l’application défaillante DVD Shrink 3.2.exe, version : 3.2.0.15, horodatage : 0x4103f8b5
    Nom du module défaillant : unknown, version : 0.0.0.0, horodatage : 0x00000000
    Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
    Décalage d’erreur : 0x008f9db8

and:
    Récipient d’erreurs -1118260693, type 5
    Nom d’événement*: BEX
    Réponse*: Non disponible
    ID de CAB : 0

After having disabled DEP for the DVDShrink Exe, it worked again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. To the OP, did you install DVD Shrink as an admin? i.e. right-click on the installing .exe file and choosing to 'Run as Administrator' (This is NOT the same as installing whilst logged into Windows as an administrator.) You might also want to set the installation directory to something like 'C:\DVDShrink' (if it lets you) rather than the more usual '\Program Files' or '\Program Files (x86)'. It's amazing how often you can get older programs to run in the newer versions of Windows like this.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't remember, I installed it a long time ago.
    It worked until a relatively recent date, I think some windows update caused it not to run anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK. What about the times you've recently tried to reinstall? I only ask as there are people who claim to be using DVD Shrink on Windows 10, so it doesn't seem to be an absolute . . . ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I've just installed dvd shrink out of curiosity on win 10 64 bit pro & functioning normally,may I suggest you uninstall the program using Revo uninstall & use advanced mode to remove left over files on scan mode(you can download a trial)reboot your system & apply a fresh install of said program,it may then run okay it's worth a try!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just wanted to chime in to say that DVD Shrink isn't working anymore for me in a clean install of Windows 10 1809 Pro x64, build 17763.316. The program installs correctly, but when I try to run it (either through the shortcut or directly double-clicking the .exe on C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Shrink), it doesn't open, nothing happens.

Tried most of the suggestions made in this thread. Tried running as Administrator, and Windows 7 and Windows XP compatibility modes, same result. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling as Administrator on C:\dvdshrink rather than standard install location, same result. Using the installer available on Videohelp.

The DEP thing doesn't apply to my case, since I had already configured Windows to use DEP only for essential system programs and services.

DVD Shrink was working perfectly fine without issues for me, on Windows 8.1 Pro x64. My guess is the latest Windows 10 updates must have killed it for good.

Going to try DVDFab HD Decrypter, seems like a decent modern replacement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Or just use it in a VM.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arrowflash View Post
    Just wanted to chime in to say that DVD Shrink isn't working anymore for me in a clean install of Windows 10 1809 Pro x64, build 17763.316. The program installs correctly, but when I try to run it (either through the shortcut or directly double-clicking the .exe on C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Shrink), it doesn't open, nothing happens.

Tried most of the suggestions made in this thread. Tried running as Administrator, and Windows 7 and Windows XP compatibility modes, same result. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling as Administrator on C:\dvdshrink rather than standard install location, same result. Using the installer available on Videohelp.

The DEP thing doesn't apply to my case, since I had already configured Windows to use DEP only for essential system programs and services.

DVD Shrink was working perfectly fine without issues for me, on Windows 8.1 Pro x64. My guess is the latest Windows 10 updates must have killed it for good.

Going to try DVDFab HD Decrypter, seems like a decent modern replacement.
    did you try temporarily disabling your antivirus software and then try running dvdshrink ??
    Quote Quote  
  20. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Just updated via windows update to Windows 10 Home 1809 x64 (10.0.17763.348) and DVDShrink keeps normally working.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Or just use it in a VM.

Scott
    Yes, a VM is always an option, but seems too much of a hassle for just a small program that I only use occasionally (so far it's the only program that gave me problems after switching to Win10).

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you try temporarily disabling your antivirus software and then try running dvdshrink ??
    Yes, no third-party AV installed and I've tried with Windows Defender real-time protection disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Or just use it in a VM.

Scott
    Yes, a VM is always an option, but seems too much of a hassle for just a small program that I only use occasionally (so far it's the only program that gave me problems after switching to Win10).

Yes, no third-party AV installed and I've tried with Windows Defender real-time protection disabled.
    try restarting your computer in safe mode and then try running dvdshrink
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Good suggestion, I actually had completely forgotten about safe mode. Sadly, it didn't work. Installed and tried running it in safe mode, after downloading DVD Shrink again from somewhere else (maybe my download was corrupt or something)... same result.

By the way, I had just set up a Windows Server 2019 vm since I wanted to check it out, same build as Windows 10 (17763.316), installed DVD Shrink on it and also got the same behavior.

Originally Posted by locotus View Post
    Just updated via windows update to Windows 10 Home 1809 x64 (10.0.17763.348) and DVDShrink keeps normally working.
    Hmm, I wonder if someone else could try it on a clean Windows 10 1809 install.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I managed to finally get it working, thanks to everyone who tried to help!

The problem was related to DEP! Turns out I had DEP disabled in the classic Control Panel settings (the one in classic Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> System Properties -> Advanced -> Settings -> DEP), but DEP was turned ON in the new Windows 10 control panel Security Settings (on Windows Security -> App Control -> Exploit Protection Settings) - apparently it's turned on by default on a clean install of Windows 10 1809 / Windows Server 2019 (locotus probably didn't run into this problem because it wasn't a clean install and it didn't overwrite his settings).

Once I turned off DEP in Exploit Protection settings, DVD Shrink now works without issues, and without the need to use any compatibility settings either.

At first I thought this was another typical case of Windows 10 interface inconsistency, with two different ways of configuring the same thing, and the DEP setting in the Exploit Protection panel overriding the settings in the classic Control Panel. But after some research through Google, I'm now under the impression that these are different settings that approach DEP in different ways. I'm still not sure, though. I've been researching it since then, and there seems to be a surprisingly limited and superficial amount of info, discussion and documentation on what the Exploit Protection settings on Windows 10 actually do, how they work and how they might affect existing programs, despite them existing since Windows 10 1709.

Still, I think it's relevant to note that I've tried a few software almost as old as DVD Shrink (including games), and they all worked with this setting turned on. DVD Shrink is the only one that gave me problems.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good suggestion, I actually had completely forgotten about safe mode. Sadly, it didn't work. Installed and tried running it in safe mode, after downloading DVD Shrink again from somewhere else (maybe my download was corrupt or something)... same result.

By the way, I had just set up a Windows Server 2019 vm since I wanted to check it out, same build as Windows 10 (17763.316), installed DVD Shrink on it and also got the same behavior.

Originally Posted by locotus View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if someone else could try it on a clean Windows 10 1809 install.
    try installing dvdshrink into a different location such as my documents folder.
    do a clean install of dvdshrink first.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try installing dvdshrink into a different location such as my documents folder.
    do a clean install of dvdshrink first.
    Thanks, fixed it already, see my post above.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Many years ago I installed DVD Shrink on a Windows XP or 7 system (don't remember which). I copied the installed folder onto a network share and always ran it from there as a portable app. It's run on several different computers and several different versions of Windows since then. I haven't used it in years but it's still there on the NAS. I just ran it on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer with version 1809 with all the latest updates. The program started up and decrypted/shrank a DVD with no problems.

So try installing it on an older computer then copy the installed folder to your new computer.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to finally get it working, thanks to everyone who tried to help!

The problem was related to DEP! Turns out I had DEP disabled in the classic Control Panel settings (the one in classic Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> System Properties -> Advanced -> Settings -> DEP), but DEP was turned ON in the new Windows 10 control panel Security Settings (on Windows Security -> App Control -> Exploit Protection Settings) - apparently it's turned on by default on a clean install of Windows 10 1809 / Windows Server 2019 (locotus probably didn't run into this problem because it wasn't a clean install and it didn't overwrite his settings).

Once I turned off DEP in Exploit Protection settings, DVD Shrink now works without issues, and without the need to use any compatibility settings either.

At first I thought this was another typical case of Windows 10 interface inconsistency, with two different ways of configuring the same thing, and the DEP setting in the Exploit Protection panel overriding the settings in the classic Control Panel. But after some research through Google, I'm now under the impression that these are different settings that approach DEP in different ways. I'm still not sure, though. I've been researching it since then, and there seems to be a surprisingly limited and superficial amount of info, discussion and documentation on what the Exploit Protection settings on Windows 10 actually do, how they work and how they might affect existing programs, despite them existing since Windows 10 1709.

Still, I think it's relevant to note that I've tried a few software almost as old as DVD Shrink (including games), and they all worked with this setting turned on. DVD Shrink is the only one that gave me problems.
    Too any that have this problem, this worked for me on my Win 11 system. DVD Shrink was working then stopped. I uninstalled and anything else I could think of. Thanks for posting this solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tigerman8u View Post
    I managed to finally get it working, thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Too any that have this problem, this worked for me on my Win 11 system. DVD Shrink was working then stopped. I uninstalled and anything else I could think of. Thanks for posting this solution.
    I can confirm it's working on my Windows 11 Professional. Tested on a couple of discs ( I had on my hdd) and worked without any problems.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote