VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok maybe you guys have the same problem or have heard of it, as its driving me nuts.

So here's the deal my decent PC and old monitor at 1440x990 75hz worked great and never had an issue with video playback until I bought an ASUS AH-IPS panel connected over HDMI at 1920x1080.

Now I have choppy tearing video in both HD and non HD video in Youtube, also showing the same video tearing, motion problems in VLC, Windows Media Player and MPC-HC. However games appear to be ok with vsync on.

So HDMI is stuck at 60hz.
    Tried 3 different HDMI cables - no difference.
    Updated Nvidia drivers - no difference.
    Annoyingly the monitor has no DVI and I can't seem to force 75hz so I tried switching back to VGA using a DVI to VGA cable in an attempt to achieve 75hz but the only rez available on this monitor for that is 1280x1024 which looked terrible.

Currently on DVI to VGA at 1920x1080.

Any advice help would be appreciated.

PC for info:
    Windows 7 SP1 x64
    q9650 @ 3Ghz
    GTX 550ti (1GB)
    8GB RAM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most LCD monitors aren't designed to be used at 75Hz, that is why 75Hz isn't on the list of supported refresh rates, but 60Hz is. Don't try to force it. If you have tearing problems, the cause lies elsewhere. What is the model number for the monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Tearing is caused by the graphics card switching frame buffers while a frame is being transmitted. So the monitor receives a torn frame (part one frame, part another). That is fixed in the graphics card's settings or the player's settings (updating the graphics card's drivers often works) -- making sure the frame buffer is only switched between frames.

Judder comes from a mismatch of source frame rate and display frame rate. A 25 fps source displayed on a 75 fps monitor will result in each frame being displayed 3 times, so motion is relatively smooth. But 25 fps video on a 60 fps monitor will result in frames being repeated in a 3:2:3:2:2 pattern. Since different frames are displayed for different amounts of time there is visible judder in motion. The only way to fix this is to get a monitor that can run at the right frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the monitor allows 50Hz, then that would also result in less judder when viewing 25fps video, however stuttering can be caused by other things, like hardware acceleration is turned off or not working properly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replys, but I'm not much further forward with a solution.

50hz is available on HDMI but made no difference.

Everything worked fine on my PC with older DVI connected LCD - games, videos, HD, SD etc etc etc. until.....

I purchase an Asus panel (vx239h) and connect it over HDMI - now I have choppy tearing video everywhere. My computer is more than capable so its not a pc problem, as for global graphics card settings I have switched on triple buffering and adaptive vsync, will see if this helps.

It has to be the monitor over HDMI interface.

So what can I actually try, what settings need to be changed and why should this be a problem in the first place - really frustrating me.
    Last edited by vinydj; 8th Dec 2015 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a DVI to HDMI cable or a DVI to HDMI adapter so you can use the same DVI port you previously used for your other monitor? You may not get audio but you should get video. HDMI and DVI are pin-for-pin identical for their video signals.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-PCM-2296-06-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0007MWE1E/
    http://www.amazon.com/Plated%C2%A0DVI-I-Dual-Link-Female-Adapter-BLACK/dp/B017TU5MX8/

No, you should not be having this problem. I regularly connect 60Hz TVs to my PCs via HDMI, using the PC's onboard video. I don't have any PCs with a discrete video card.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Dec 2015 at 19:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, I don't have DVI to HDMI unfortunatley but I will probably get either the adaptor or cable as this issue persits. I did have DVI to VGA which I thought would fix the problem but it didn't seem to make much difference.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    #1 you can't set the graphics card any higher than the max monitor settings
    Never mind the card can do 1920 the monitor can Not

#2 did you install new drivers for the card and did you goto your Windows desktop display settings
    And reset things for the new card

Your games are accessing the card directly
    Your browser is still using the previous desktop setting to display YouTube
    Which is now being sent to the monitor via the new card
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vinydj View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I don't have DVI to HDMI unfortunatley but I will probably get either the adaptor or cable as this issue persits. I did have DVI to VGA which I thought would fix the problem but it didn't seem to make much difference.
    I suggested trying the adapter/cable as a test. If the problem still existed after using the DVI connection, which you said worked before with your old monitor, then that would mean using your card's HDMI connection isn't causing your problem. My guess is that it won't make a difference and jagabo is correct. There is something wrong with the drivers or the settings you chose in NVidia Control Panel, or the settings you use in your player software.

Like I said, all I ever have to do to get HDMI working with a 60Hz TV is set the output resolution to match the TV's native screen resolution and the set the refresh rate to the TV's recommended 60Hz refresh rate. That is lucky for me because the control panels for onboard graphics provide very limited settings.

You shouldn't need to use V-Sync to play video files. V-Sync prevents the frame rate in a game from exceeding 60Hz, but causes stuttering when frame rates drop below 60Hz. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology

It would be very unusual for the actual frame rate in a video file to go above the the standard 60Hz refresh rates for LCD monitors. 50Hz is the highest frame rate used for "PAL" video and 59.97Hz is the highest frame rate used for "NTSC" video, both of which are at or below the standard 60Hz refresh rates for LCD monitors. However, video frames rate may be lower, 25Hz for "PAL" video and either 29.97Hz or 23.976Hz for "NTSC" video.

If the video is interlaced, turning on the video player's deinterlacing should produce the higher frame rates given in the paragraph above. Frames in progressive video might be repeated so that the video plays at the monitor's recommended refresh rate, not a lower frame rate. This causes the judder that jagabo mentioned, but many people don't notice judder, particularly in the USA. It is so common here that it seems perfectly normal.

When video can't be decoded quickly enough, some frames are dropped, and that causes stuttering too. Enabling hardware decoding in video player software can help, but hardware decoding isn't widely available for some video formats, such as HEVC/H.265.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Dec 2015 at 16:59. Reason: clarity, grammar
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    #1 you can't set the graphics card any higher than the max monitor settings
    Never mind the card can do 1920 the monitor can Not
    The OP's old monitor was 1440x990. His new Asus VX239H monitor is 1920x1080, and he is using that screen resolution in Windows, so a mismatched screen resolution is not part of the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote