VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Aside from the greed of Hollywood, is there any other reason for this region stuff stuck into players? Why not just make them like BETA, and VHS were.....able to be bought & played anywhere?
    I have a Funia DVD/VHS combo from about 4 years ago. It says in the book that it only plays disks from the U.S. but for some strange reason "A Muppet Family Christmas" (which I was not aware was from U.K. region when I bought it) plays just fine on it. But when I bought another Funia combo (as a back-up, just in case), it wouldn't play. Why? :/
    Are there any hack codes for this machine? How DO people find these codes without spending days pressing every combination of buttons on their remotes? Are there any DVD (or combos) that are sold in stores anyone could suggest that have an easy unlock code?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jfpinell, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jfpinell View Post
    Aside from the greed of Hollywood, is there any other reason for this region stuff stuck into players? Why not just make them like BETA, and VHS were.....able to be bought & played anywhere?
    I have a Funia DVD/VHS combo from about 4 years ago. It says in the book that it only plays disks from the U.S. but for some strange reason "A Muppet Family Christmas" (which I was not aware was from U.K. region when I bought it) plays just fine on it. But when I bought another Funia combo (as a back-up, just in case), it wouldn't play. Why? :/
    Are there any hack codes for this machine? How DO people find these codes without spending days pressing every combination of buttons on their remotes? Are there any DVD (or combos) that are sold in stores anyone could suggest that have an easy unlock code?

If you are in the US you need to worry about region codes(and player hacks designed to ignore a discs region code)
    AND
    the UK's PAL video format.
    Most US televisions do not react well to PAL.....and almost everyone in the world besides (North) America is PAL....the US
    is in the minority with this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jfpinell View Post
    Aside from the greed of Hollywood, is there any other reason for this region stuff stuck into players? Why not just make them like BETA, and VHS were.....able to be bought & played anywhere?
    You are mistaken about VHS. Nearly all analog CRT TVs sold in N. American can only display analog video conforming to NTSC standards and that is still true today for N. American digital TVs. If you bought a PAL VHS tape, chances are a N. American VCR wouldn't convert the video from PAL format to something an N. American TV could display. However, PAL countries don't have a comparable problem. Most PAL VCRs can convert the video signal from an NTSC tape to something most PAL TVs can display (PAL60).

To expand on what Hech54 wrote, "PAL" Blu-Ray and DVD discs use different frame rates and different SD resolutions than "NTSC" Blu-Ray and DVD discs. Nearly all N. American TVs can only display video that uses "NTSC" frame rates and "NTSC" SD resolutions. Only some DVD players and Blu-Ray players are capable of converting from one standard to the other. That is why you might still have trouble watching UK DVDs in the US even if you made your player region free.

[Edit]Also you have a Funai, not a Funia

There are very few machines made today which can be unlocked by consumers. In the past, unlock codes were for the manufacturer's convenience, but were sometimes leaked. The unlock codes made it possible for manufacturers to sell their products in some parts of the world where consumers often buy discs imported from other countries, and therefore demand an unlocked player.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Dec 2015 at 13:02.
    Quote Quote