VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several home videos that are in .avi format (each are 2 hours in length) that I want to burn to a DVD and add chapters. I am fairly new to this stuff, so I'm posting here because I'm not sure which category this fits into. I want to keep the best quality possible when burning to the DVD.

In reading the forms it sounds like IMGBurn is a good software to use when burning the DVD. Will that take .avi files or do I need to encode those before burning? If so, what software is best for that or works best with IMGBurn and what format does IMGBurn need make the DVD?

Then I want the DVD to have chapters. Is there a software that detects the dead space in between home video clips and automatically makes those into chapters? If so, what is that software? If not what is the best authoring software that is easy to use to put chapters in manually in the selected dead spaces? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVDs are always mpeg2 video so your files will have to be converted.

AVS2DVD is excellent, free software (make a donation if you like it) that will do everything you need. Imgburn is part of the AVS2DVD package.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try AVStoDVD.

AVI type files do need converted to MPEG format for a DVD.
    If you look to the top left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD, you will see information on the DVD structure, format and specifications.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the helpful responses! Does the AVStoDVD also create chapters or do I need a separate software for that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's all in there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want to have any semblance of quality left, forget about putting more than 1 of those 2-hour clips to each disc. Which may make the whole chapter thing moot.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I plan on putting one 2 hour tape onto each DVD. But within the 2 hour clip there are places where the camera was turned off and restarted. I'm wondering if that can be detected automatically or if that is a manual process to find the dead space and create chapters at each of those spots?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Setting specific spots for chapters in AVStoDVD is not simple. It normally puts chapters at 5 minute intervals. There is a function called Seek Chapters in AVStoDVD, but I don't know how well it works. You might try it. To do so, import your video, then click on the gear icon on the right side of the main screen in AVStoDVD. This brings up a new window, with several tabs, so click on the Chapters tab. Remove the check mark from the Auto Chapters, which will allow you to manipulate chapter marks.

By the way, AVStoDVD no longer comes with ImgBurn in the install package. You'll have to install it separately.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, Thanks! I am just installing AVStoDVD now and it is going on over an hour and still not installed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Installation should take just a minute or two. Did you use the direct link download on this page? https://www.videohelp.com/software/AVStoDVD
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now it worked. I didn't realize it was waiting for me to run the filter install. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a question.

if I have already installed ImgBurn and AViSynth, should I progress with default installation of AVS2DVD or shall I simply add DVDAuthor? Can I set up AVS2DVD for all existing components?

Thanks
    Quote Quote