VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do the new DVD recorders with the digital tuner do DTV and the sub-channels from over the air antennae broadcasts and cable/satellite?
    Last edited by chuckl; 2nd Dec 2015 at 16:41. Reason: mistake
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chuckl View Post
    Do the new DVD recorders with the digital tuner do DTV and the sub-channels from over the air antennae broadcasts and cable/satellite?
    They record over-the-air digital subchannels, and unencrypted digital cable subchannels (almost non-existant now). They do not record satellite broadcasts. For satellite and most digital cable channels, you need to record from the composite, S-Video, or RF-out from a cable box or satellite receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UQuiet>>>>>They record over-the-air digital subchannels, and unencrypted digital cable subchannels (almost non-existant now). They do not record satellite broadcasts. For satellite and most digital cable channels, you need to record from the composite, S-Video, or RF-out from a cable box or satellite receiver.<<<<<

ok, thanks, i would like to do an upgrade on my home TV with a DVD and digital tuner and take out the converter box.

i did find a few from Funai/Magnavox. do you guys have anymore sources for more dvd recorders with a built in digital tuner so i can get my anologue stuff off?

here is what i found. mdr535h/f7 mdr557h/f7 mdr865h mdr867h mdr868h
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UQuiet>>>>>They record over-the-air digital subchannels, and unencrypted digital cable subchannels (almost non-existant now). They do not record satellite broadcasts. For satellite and most digital cable channels, you need to record from the composite, S-Video, or RF-out from a cable box or satellite receiver.<<<<<

ok, thanks, i would like to do an upgrade on my home TV with a DVD and digital tuner and take out the converter box.

i did find a few from Funai/Magnavox. do you guys have anymore sources for more dvd recorders with a built in digital tuner so i can get my anologue stuff off?

here is what i found. mdr535h/f7 mdr557h/f7 mdr865h mdr867h mdr868h
    A Funai/Magnavox recorder with a hard drive is the only game in town these days if you want a digital tuner.

The mdr535h/f7 and mdr557h/f7 both have one analog/digital combo tuner. The mdr865h has one digital tuner and no analog tuner. The mdr867h and mdr868h have 2 digital tuners (but no analog tuners) so you can watch one channel while recording another or record 2 channels at the same time.

All of the above can record from their composite or S-Video inputs.

The mdr867h and mdr868h would offer some advantages because of the dual digital tuners, but were released very recently. I have not seen much information about them.

[Edit] What "converter box" are you talking about (the over-the-air digital to analog variety?) and what do you mean by "get my analogue stuff off"?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Dec 2015 at 21:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Funai/Magnavox recorder with a hard drive is the only game in town these days if you want a digital tuner.

The mdr535h/f7 and mdr557h/f7 both have one analog/digital combo tuner. The mdr865h has one digital tuner and no analog tuner. The mdr867h and mdr868h have 2 digital tuners (but no analog tuners) so you can watch one channel while recording another or record 2 channels at the same time.

The mdr867h and mdr868h would offer some advantages because of the dual digital tuners, but were released very recently. I have not seen much information about them.

chuck>>>>>i read a little on those too. there isnt much on these. i was looking around for a DVD recorder or a machine with a hard drive because of the holidays sales but i guess everybody is sold out because of the black friday and holiday sales. i tried going to some of the black fridays in my area. it was wild.

i dont need 2 tuners and a lot of xtra features.
    just a good quality basic 1 digital tuner and a recorder with 1080 is ok with the 1hr, 2hr etc... recording.

i dunno about a machine with a hard drive. hard drives don't have a long life and break down.

thanks for your time. ill keep looking.
    Last edited by chuckl; 2nd Dec 2015 at 22:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

chuck>>>>>i read a little on those too. there isnt much on these. i was looking around for a DVD recorder or a machine with a hard drive because of the holidays sales but i guess everybody is sold out because of the black friday and holiday sales. i tried going to some of the black fridays in my area. it was wild.

i dont need 2 tuners and a lot of xtra features.
    just a good quality basic 1 digital tuner and a recorder with 1080 is ok with the 1hr, 2hr etc... recording.

i dunno about a machine with a hard drive. hard drives don't have a long life and break down.

thanks for your time. ill keep looking.
    Look all you want, but nobody makes a "basic" DVD recorder with a digital tuner for N. America anymore. In fact, Funai is the only company still making any DVD recorders for the N. American market, although they may be re-branded "Magnavox", "Toshiba" or "Sanyo". All of Funai's DVD recorders with a digital tuner have an HDD. Their models without an HDD have no tuner at all!

HDDs don't often die faster than the DVD drive. I have owned a Magnavox DVD recorder with an HDD for 4 years. The HDD is still working fine.

There are other types of digital recorders with a digital tuner and no DVD drive. If the price is an issue, some models are rather inexpensive, under $50. They record to an external hard drive or possibly a USB stick that you must purchase separately.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Dec 2015 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, youre right, my bad.
    i found another i might look at. toshiba dr570

>>>>>There are other types of digital recorders with a digital tuner and no DVD drive. If the price is an issue, some models are rather inexpensive, under $50. They record to an external hard drive or possibly a USB stick that you must purchase separately.>>>>>

i need a digital tuner so i can dump the analogue stuff and converter box to improve the picture quality and maybe record a program sometimes to watch later. what else do have in mind? copy paste links please...
    Last edited by chuckl; 3rd Dec 2015 at 03:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, youre right, my bad.
    i found another i might look at. toshiba dr570
    That is a discontinued model released in 2009. After 2010, only Funai continued to make DVD recorders for N. America. The Toshiba dr570 is certainly an option if you are willing to pay $120 and up for a older used machine, which may be missing the remote control. There may be some 6 year old used machines from Panasonic and Sony available for sale too. Be careful. Not all simple DVD recorders from that era have ATSC tuners and not all are in good enough condition to be a worthwhile purchase.

>>>>>There are other types of digital recorders with a digital tuner and no DVD drive. If the price is an issue, some models are rather inexpensive, under $50. They record to an external hard drive or possibly a USB stick that you must purchase separately.>>>>>

i need a digital tuner so i can dump the analogue stuff and converter box to improve the picture quality and maybe record a program sometimes to watch later. what else do have in mind? copy paste links please...
    Yes, they are sold as converter boxes but are more often used as digital recorders for recording OTA DTV if someone attaches their own compatible external storage devices. (HDD or a USB thumb drive, depending on manufacturer recommendations. You absolutely cannot attach an external USB DVD drive to one and record a DVD.). They can only record the output from their digital tuner and don't record from any type of analog source whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/
    http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW180STB-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00IYETYX8/
    http://www.amazon.com/Viewtv-Converter-Recording-Function-Composite/dp/B00GGVPKKC/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Dec 2015 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks q for the advice. unfortunately the links above are converters again from digital to analogue. i want to stop using analogue and converters.

another problem i see is alot of the providers are encrypting so you will need to pay. the DVR might not work. will a standalone DVR still work with the changes?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks q for the advice. unfortunately the links above are converters again from digital to analogue. i want to stop using analogue and converters.

another problem i see is alot of the providers are encrypting so you will need to pay. the DVR might not work. will a standalone DVR still work with the changes?
    Yes they have analog connections as well as HDMI, but the boxes I linked to provide the ability to record digital video and digital audio from an OTA signal, as well as play it back. The recording is an exact digital copy of the digital broadcast received. However, they are only good for recording OTA sources and you must provide the USB storage to hold the recordings.

If you want to buy a device to record satellite service or encrypted digital cable service instead of renting some sort of equipment from your provider, that is not going to happen.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Dec 2015 at 23:12.
    Quote Quote  
  11. chuckl, you're running in circles with these questions and need to nail down in plain English exactly what it is you want to do before anyone can give you intelligent advice.

For instance, do you or do you not need to record from cable? You're being really vague on this point, and its a MAJOR consideration when choosing a recorder: if you have cable, forget about cheap recorders- it ain't happening anymore, bro. Everything is getting encrypted, which requires either a) renting a standard decoder box which converts to analog for a dvd recorder, b) renting the cable company PVR or c) getting a TiVO. There is no longer any cheap way around the cable company: they are going into total lockdown, might as well be satellite because they now have the same requirement for a decoder box or renting their proprietary DVR. Store-bought recorders with digital tuners for "Clear QAM" cable are a joke: "Clear QAM" barely exists and is being rapidly phased out, the only new recorders that can tune it are the various Magnavox models, and the Mag tuner flakes the second the cable company screws with the signal (which they do constantly). Short version: if you have cable or satellite, and you're on a tight budget, no recording options exist that will meet your needs. Increase your budget, or cut the cord and get a roof antenna.

Which brings us to off-air digital broadcasts. Again, the only game in town is the Magnavox line. They're usable, but the tuner is picayune about wanting bog-standard signal specs in the broadcast or it flakes (not as bad as it does with cable, but a big PITA if you live in an area where the broadcast stations play games with masked frequencies, etc.) When the Mag tuner flakes, it makes timer recording a nightmare: the thing records the totally wrong channel, or the letterboxed lo-res monophonic channel instead of the high-grade version, or it records nothing but dead air. Annoying if this bug hits your favorite channels.

What about DVDs? It sounds as if you already have an older dvd recorder connected to an outboard digital converter box. Do you make a lot of DVDs to keep for your library? If so, stick with what you have: no new Magnavox recorder will give you $300 worth of improvement, and the goofy Mag tuner is likely LESS reliable than your outboard box. OTOH, if you don't make a lot of DVDs to keep, but simply record and erase the same DVDs over and over, a Magnavox DVD/HDD makes a lot more sense. The hard drive is staggeringly better for record/watch/erase than the DVD drive: the HDD holds a couple hundred hours of video at the higher quality picture settings, is much easier and faster to use, is much more reliable, and you never worry about having a fresh blank DVD handy. You only need to load a blank DVD when you want a permanent copy of something on the hard drive.

Do you have, or do you soon plan to get, a large flat screen HDTV? Opt for the newest Magnavox MDR865H, which records to its hard drive in true high definition quality from off-air HD broadcasts. It can downconvert these recordings to standard DVDs when you want a permanent copy.

So you see, choosing a TV recorder in 2015 isn't so simple. The Magnavox models are the only "cheap" non-monthly-fee options, if you can afford approx $300. But they are a compromise that aren't ideal for every purpose. If you don't particularly want to make DVDs, paying the monthly fee for your cable or satellite company's DVR (or a TiVO) gets you a more enjoyable, reliable experience. The Magnavox will work unpredictably via its own tuner, or reliably if attached to a decoder box. But the decoder box makes timer setting a hassle, and provides a letterboxed picture that won't look great on a big screen. Best case scenario is good off-air reception and a Magnavox MDR865H recording in high definition. If you have cable or satellite, do what every other sane person does: sign up for the PVR, or get a TiVO.

I agree with usually-quiet about the Toshiba DR570 and other older second-hand dvd recorders: don't bother. They're either overpriced due to brand name or scarcity or both, and a bad risk if they don't have a hard drive. The Toshiba is a Magnavox under the skin anyway: every dvd recorder sold in USA since 2009 has been some kind of Magnavox variant whatever the outer label (Toshiba, Funai, Sanyo, etc). All other brands left USA long ago, mainly because cable companies made dvd recorders useless as described above. Magnavox sticks around only because some lunatic WalMart executive loves them (despite the thousands of returns WalMart endures when buyers realize they don't work so good with cable).

Regarding the inexpensive digital HDTV boxes mentioned, bear in mind these are a different beast altogether. You need to add your own hard drive, and timer setting relies on the broadcast guide which is not that extensive and sometimes inaccurate. They cannot record from cable or satellite. They are not as familiar in operation as a dvd recorder, and they record in a file format that isn't easy to work with if your aren't a tech geek. Sure, you can just keep adding new hard drives as you fill them up, but if you want to do any editing or make dvds it takes some tricky efforts with a PC. These recorders can be really nifty if they suit you, but if you're looking for fool-proof simplicity they aren't the answer.
    Last edited by orsetto; 4th Dec 2015 at 02:17.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that even with a TiVo, someone needs to obtain equipment (a correctly provisioned CableCARD) from their cable TV service provider to record or watch TV. Cable company policy on CableCARDs varies, but most will provide a CableCARD for free as part of the service if a customer has no other cable company equipment tied to their account (including additional CableCARDs), but charge a monthly fee for them otherwise. The fee varies from a couple of dollars a month to almost as much as renting a cable box.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

UQ>>>>>Yes they have analog connections as well as HDMI, but the boxes I linked to provide the ability to record digital video and digital audio from an OTA signal, as well as play it back. The recording is an exact digital copy of the digital broadcast received. However, they are only good for recording OTA sources and you must provide the USB storage to hold the recordings.

If you want to buy a device to record satellite service or encrypted digital cable service instead of renting some sort of equipment from your provider, that is not going to happen.

chuck>>>>>i dont follow. in the links it said it converts the digital signal to analogue. i want to stop using converters and analogue. its only for the digital OTA signals from the mountain.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

UQ>>>>>Yes they have analog connections as well as HDMI, but the boxes I linked to provide the ability to record digital video and digital audio from an OTA signal, as well as play it back. The recording is an exact digital copy of the digital broadcast received. However, they are only good for recording OTA sources and you must provide the USB storage to hold the recordings.

chuck>>>>>i dont follow. in the links it said it converts the digital signal to analogue. i want to stop using converters and analogue. its only for the digital OTA signals from the mountain.
    Those device all have HDMI out, as well as analog A/V out connections for the convenience of people who don't have an LCD TV. They play back the all-digital recordings they make too. Maybe they are not for everyone but there are a few members of this forum who seem to love theirs.

At least some of these devices create a program guide from PSIP data included in the broadcasts, to help you schedule recordings. The PSIP data can be very accurate or not very good depending on the channel. I think there is usually a way to enter the time and date to schedule recordings manually. The device also allows you to delete recorded programs that you no longer want to keep.

Although I did not list them, there are a few OTA recording devices on the market with more features, like the ability to access Netflix if someone has a Netflix subscription. They do cost more and often require an Internet connection to download a more accurate program guide. However, I did not think you would be interested something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    orsetto and UQ, sorry, maybe i was not clear. i want to dump the digital to analogue converter box to the analogue DVD recorder to fix the poor video quality to the component1 and maybe the HDMI input on the TV.
    the analogue DVD recorder has the line in from the converter box then i use line out and the 3 Yipper cables(Y,Yp, Yr) out to the componet1 to watch tv from the DTV mountain.
    i might record sometimes to watch later. the idea is to dump the converter and analogue stuff and go full digital to the component1 input or HDMI on the tv to fix the poor video problems. HD channels are not so bad through the conversion box to the analogue DVD recorder to the component 1 input. the non-HD channels are not good.

i am looking into the magnavox line. i thought you said the mag tuners are a little flakey.

what about this. i looked around and called the airbox.com#. they said its a converter. i cant find much info on this to find out if it is all digital in and out. they said if i can get ION channel here it should work. looks like there is no subscribe for DTV and will do Netflix and a lot of other premium channels with a subscription.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/airbox-digital-receiver-dvr-black/4348000.p?id=12197354141...&skuId=4348000
    Last edited by chuckl; 4th Dec 2015 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    orsetto and UQ, sorry, maybe i was not clear. i want to dump the digital to analogue converter box to the analogue DVD recorder to fix the poor video quality to the component1 and maybe the HDMI input on the TV.
    the analogue DVD recorder has the line in from the converter box then i use line out and the 3 Yipper cables(Y,Yp, Yr) out to the componet1 to watch tv from the DTV mountain.
    i might record sometimes to watch later. the idea is to dump the converter and analogue stuff and go full digital to the component1 input or HDMI on the tv to fix the poor video problems. HD channels are not so bad through the conversion box to the analogue DVD recorder to the component 1 input. the non-HD channels are not good.

i am looking into the magnavox line. i thought you said the mag tuners are a little flakey.

what about this. i looked around and called the airbox.com#. they said its a converter. i cant find much info on this to find out if it is all digital in and out. they said if i can get ION channel here it should work. looks like there is no subscribe for DTV and will do Netflix and a lot of other premium channels with a subscription.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/airbox-digital-receiver-dvr-black/4348000.p?id=12197354141...&skuId=4348000
    The Airbox device is a receiver for a paid TV service that delivers its programming over-the-air in a few cities (Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, Phoenix, AZ, Jacksonville, FL, Memphis, TN). They use the local ION affiliate to deliver an encrypted H.264 video signal. They offer a Spanish-language TV package, Starz, and pay-per-view events. See: https://houstondtv.wordpress.com/tag/airbox/

I'll admit I am no closer to understanding what it is that you want than when you started this thread, but I don't think that the Airbox device will provide it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UQ>>>>>I'll admit I am no closer to understanding what it is that you want than when you started this thread, but I don't think that the Airbox device will provide it.<<<<

chuck>>>>>huh, ok, ill try again. My DVD players work ok with yipper cables to component and HDMI.
    the problem is i want to ditch the DTV converter and analogue stuff and get an ATSC digital tuner or an ATSC digital tuner with dvr or an ATSC digital tuner/DVD recorder to do the channels and sub-channels to go full digital TV from the DTV mountain and fix the poor video quality from the converter for DTV.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UQ>>>>>I'll admit I am no closer to understanding what it is that you want than when you started this thread, but I don't think that the Airbox device will provide it.<<<<

chuck>>>>>huh, ok, ill try again. My DVD players work ok with yipper cables to component and HDMI.
    the problem is i want to ditch the DTV converter and analogue stuff and get an ATSC digital tuner or an ATSC digital tuner with dvr or an ATSC digital tuner/DVD recorder to do the channels and sub-channels to go full digital TV from the DTV mountain and fix the poor video quality from the converter for DTV.
    Nearly all HDTVs in the USA have a digital tuner that works here, so the question is, why do you need an external ATSC tuner? Do you actually have a monitor (no tuner) rather than a TV? Is the tuner broken/unreliable? Was this TV imported from outside N. America?

All three boxes I linked to are capable of acting as an external tuner, and you can watch the tuned channel via the HDMI connection. I'm not sure why that does not qualify as "all digital". Standard definition digital TV channels are frequently not great quality, so there may not be much of an improvement to be had with those.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Dec 2015 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ill consider your suggestions. i might do the mediasonic because it does the 3 yipper cables and the HDMI thing but its a converter. thats what bothers me.

will the 3 yipper cables and HDMI work proper from this type of converter?
    whats the difference between the DVR and the PVR?
    the mediasonic 150 and the 163 look to be the same. what do you video wizards suggest?
    are you sure this will solve the video problems i had with the digital to analogue conversion box?
    Last edited by chuckl; 4th Dec 2015 at 23:43.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sure i can use the indoor 300ohm or 75ohm coaxial antennae directly to the tv input on the tv then put the TV input on tv but i wont be able to record anything.
    been using the converter box to the Analogue dvd recorder line in because i can record something if i want for later but the video is not good.
    would like to get an ATSC OTA tuner with DVR so i can record if i want.
    replacing the converter and analogue DVD recorder with a digital ATSC tuner will improve the video then DVR to record.

>>>All three boxes I linked to are capable of acting as an external tuner, and you can watch the tuned channel via the HDMI connection>>>>>yes but some of them are still converters from what i read. the mediasonic has all the connections for video, yipper and audio but it is a converter for digital to analogue. "converts over the air digital broadcast to your analogue tv" ... maybe im not being clear but were going round and round. i dont want a converter. it wont solve the problems. converting is the problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/
    Converts Over-The-Air Digital Broadcast to your Analog TV, Antenna out Analog Pass Through, Favorite Channel List, Parental Control Function
    They also have HDMI out. HDMI is digital. Now why would a box that can only convert to analog have an outgoing digital connection? Think about it...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    >>They also have HDMI out. HDMI is digital. Now why would a box that can only convert to analog have an outgoing digital connection? Think about it...<<<<umm, yeah, i thought about it. its the converter part that bothers me. if it does not does not do it right i have to send it back. PITA. i dont like sending things back.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by chuckl View Post
    its the converter part that bothers me.
    Only the analog outputs are "converted". The HDMI output is digital -- straight from decoding the ATSC input. It records the incoming ATSC digital stream exactly as it is received. Digital HD remains digital HD on the drive. Digital SD remains digital SD on the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks jag and UQ. nice. i hope this puts an end to the video problems.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope one of the inexpensive boxes does work out for you. If it doesn't, there is nothing I know of in the $100 price range for an external ATSC tuner/PVR box. The next step up are the ~$200 and up boxes --- the Channel Master DVR+ without a built-in hard drive and the 2-tuner Tablo.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tablo and channelmaster is great but out of my range and dont have all the needed stuff.
    ill probably do the mediasonic hw-150pvr or i-view3500stb.
    i read some of the reviews. They are a great cheap option but have their problems and don't have a long life because of heat.
    do you know if the mediasonic or i-view has a oneguide for the channel lineups?
    i watched a few videos on youtube... i think the guy was using an Xbox for voice command and a oneguide channel line up on the mediasonichw150pvr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmU8qSI6MsY

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mediasonic+hw-150pvr

im all out of ideas where to go. do you have anymore suggestions that might be better with a hook up and go with a one channel lineup if the mediasonic or i-view does not do it?
    i really dont want to deal with hardware, software and updates.

TO USE TABLO, YOU WILL NEED: A digital TV antenna to receive OTA signals; a USB hard drive (flash not supported) to record programs; a WiFi router to stream content to connected devices; a computer/tablet/smartphone to set up your Tablo device; and an HDMI streaming device to display content on your big screen TV. (See below for more details on how Tablo works).
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have a few Mediasonic 150. I use them to record OTA. I use 2.5" USB powered HDDs. It has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) of about 12 hours. You tune in a channel, press the EPG key and it displays about 12 hours of upcoming tv shows on that channel.

You can either press record while on the EPG or you can manually program recordings. Using a newer tv (ATSC tuner) you can set it up to record one channel while watching another using the loop through modulation setting.

If you're thinking of getting more than one box to use in other rooms (cottage in my case), buy them all at the same time, this way they will all be of the same firmware version.

This allows you to take the recordings on the HDD from one box to the other. I record at home and bring the HDD to the cottage. The recordings from boxes of different firmware versions are not compatible with each other.

It says it works with USB sticks but really they are very flakky. Better off with a USB powered HDD. I use Seagate Expansion (750GB). One hour of recording use up 8GBs.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    crazyc>>>>I have a few Mediasonic 150. I use them to record OTA. I use 2.5" USB powered HDDs. It has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) of about 12 hours. You tune in a channel, press the EPG key and it displays about 12 hours of upcoming tv shows on that channel.>>>>>>

i just want a good ATSC tuner with the Yipper cables, HDMI outputs L/R audio, digital audio out and a video output. i have a 1TB external HD for recording i want. usually don't record because the programs repeat often.

1. ok, so the 150 does not have an all in one channel guide line up? one channel at a time guide? my DTV converter does one channel at a time. i would like to get a ATSC tuner with a one channel guide. not one channel at a time.
    2. how old is your 150? i read in a thread review it went 14months.
    3. does it get hot?
    4. overall is the video good through the Yipper cables, HDMI and video outputs to the HDMI inputs and Yipper cables(Y,Yp,Yr) on the TV?
    5. anybody any ideas how to get a one channel guide line up?
    Last edited by chuckl; 6th Dec 2015 at 18:36.
    Quote Quote  
  28. By the way, component video (Yipper cables) is analog. So any ATSC tuner will have to include a digital to analog converter for component output.

It's going to be hard to find an inexpensive ATSC tuner/pvr with a full channel guide in the USA. There is no standard for such a guide so any company that provides one has on-going costs associated with aggregating channel information from hundreds (thousands?) of broadcasters around the nation.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Dec 2015 at 18:54.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo is right about the type of guides which are available for the inexpensive boxes, but it is possible to build a grid using PSIP data. I have seen it done with the DISH DTV-PAL converter boxes from 2008-2009.

The cheap boxes use a guide displaying one channel at a time because of the cost associated with providing a grid-type guide for scheduling programming. TiVo and Rovi hold patents on that idea, and any company that wants to use such a guide in the US must license the technology from one or both of these companies. DISH had to pay for licensing
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Dec 2015 at 22:18. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  30. 2. how old is your 150? i read in a thread review it went 14months.
    3. does it get hot?
    4. overall is the video good through the Yipper cables, HDMI and video outputs to the HDMI inputs and Yipper cables(Y,Yp,Yr) on the TV?

2- Bought 3 in the spring of 2014. Not sure how to answer "14 months", if it's the EPG, it would be the broadcasting station that would control the info for the EPG. At most, from the stations I receive, it's 12 hours worth of a guide.

3- It gets hot but as long it's well ventilated, No problem.

4- My set up at home is for a HD TV so - Antenna to coaxial in - HDMI out to TV - and also coaxial out to TV.

When I want to watch a recording and/or want to work with the box, I choose HDMI input on TV.
    When I just want to watch TV or record and watch TV at the same time, I use the antenna input (coax).

All other outputs on the box are for analog (480i) applications. I use an analog CRT TV at the cottage and actually just use the coax output to channel 3 on the TV and it's crystal clear.

For 1 and 5, jabado's and usually_quiet's replies covered those two points.
    Quote Quote