VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My current job is wondering if a de-interlace or other filter will improve an AVI captured from a television and subsequently made into an ISO. It's an oldie from circa 1987 in whatever the technology of VHS was then and just apparently recorded to tape and probably on the slow setting.

The sound is pretty good for audibility. But one of the intertitles looks like it could have been from the "Marge and Jeff" program in 1955.

My point is the image could be sharper and less wavy and perhaps a de-interlace or other filter in Handbrake or some other tool could improve it. There are two files about an hour or so each. I am ignorant of filtering so please be specific and avoid shorthand. AVI Synth may be the answer but I have scant knowledge of it.

I'll run Media Info to see what the resolution is:

656*496.

There's some hiss on the audio and I have Goldwave for that. Best would be to unpack the original ISO again and restart the job. I'll go back and look at my thread for that.
    Quote Quote  
  2. One might be able to improve it but it will almost certainly require AviSynth. As usual, nobody can give any details without a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How long should the clip be? Even editing is a job I am not good at.

I found this thread which has a lot in it but even there it says each job is unique and requires experiment:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

I've looked at one of the data descriptions for my job and the original is 720x480. (I had previously run some compression on it to get the large file size down. )

At this point I have the TS file set from the original job. In order to make a short clip where should I begin? Which program to load the file set into and recode?

It was also noted that de-interlace may not be the answer at all, but just a term I thought applied to VHS to file conversion/filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think deinterlacing is what you need but until I've seen a clip there's no way to know for sure. If you VIDEO_TS file set, ie VOB files, use DgIndex to extract a sample. Mark in, mark out, then File -> Save Project And Demux Video. Upload the M2V it creates. About 10 seconds with moderate motion is good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Haven't used DGindex much except for what it loads into Virtual dub.
    My reply for this won't be instantaneous. But there's time to play around with this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Progress. I have the full m2v file to work with which was fairly simple once I located the
    commands in DGIntex downloaded at Videohelp.

Can you give a screen shot for the mark in and mark out job? I don't see those commands in DGIndex or will I be loading Virtual Dub (one program I've used) ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mark-in is the button labeled with a left square bracket. Mark-out is right square bracket.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Still DGIndex then?

Ok, I'll try it. I see the slider but is there a timestamp anywhere or does that
    show up in the column at load time? This will seem slow to you but it's all new to me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, still DGIndex. Just scroll to a place with steady movement and mark-in ( [ ). Scroll a little way more and mark-out ( ] ). File->Save Project and Demux Video. Play it to make sure you didn't save too much (10 seconds will be plenty). Upload the resulting M2V.

DGIndex is a basic tool when working with DVDs and AVISynth. Learn it. You might even read the included docs since the creator of the DGMPGDec package is also the best doc writer in the business.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You folks do realize that you may be dealing with some crushed Divx/Xvid file right?
    Just checking.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks manono. There's a place on this with a figure using a floor broom slowly. That should be what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  12. On the documents, yes I'd like to print for the future and read those. Especially if they are as you say well written and understandable.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You folks do realize that you may be dealing with some crushed Divx/Xvid file right?
    It might even be worse then that since it seems to be in DVD format now and he writes of 'wavy lines'. My guess, though, is that it's VHS tape to DV-AVI to DVD. Maybe just wishful thinking, and his description of what he has was none too clear.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I am back and have what I think is an 8 second clip. I used a different portion which shows color and white in stage lighting.

No progress though since my d2v was rejected by the uploader section of the program.
    Wrong file type.

I made the clip. Saved it. And that was all I did before attempting to post it.

No wavy lines as such in this, it just lacks sharpness without calling it grainy.
    And yes It was likely made with old style VHS gear and put in DVD Format.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Checking the clip showed that it does not play in VLC media player. Something is wrong with
    my file/filetype save operation.

I previewed the clip in DGindex. From there what should the save sequence be-- in steps if you don't mind. Or can I simply reload what is labelled as d2v in Win7 properties and recode it properly?

The file is moved to my desktop so I can find it without too much problem.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

No progress though since my d2v was rejected by the uploader section of the program.
    Wrong file type.
    Did anyone say anything about a D2V?
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you VIDEO_TS file set, ie VOB files, use DgIndex to extract a sample. Mark in, mark out, then File -> Save Project And Demux Video. Upload the M2V it creates. About 10 seconds with moderate motion is good.
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yes, still DGIndex. Just scroll to a place with steady movement and mark-in ( [ ). Scroll a little way more and mark-out ( ] ). File->Save Project and Demux Video. Play it to make sure you didn't save too much (10 seconds will be plenty). Upload the resulting M2V.
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    From there what should the save sequence be-- in steps if you don't mind.
    Could we have made it any more clear?
    Quote Quote  
  17. A rhetorical question then.

I was unclear that this would be a new project and not a reload of what was in there.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The D2V file is just a text file with the index of frames. It is used by Mpeg2Source() in an AviSynth script to quickly locate frames for decompresssion. You can open the D2V file with Notepad and read it:

Code:
    DGIndexProjectFile16
    Algiers_snippet.mpg

Stream_Type=1
    MPEG_Type=2
    iDCT_Algorithm=6
    YUVRGB_Scale=1
    Luminance_Filter=0,0
    Clipping=0,0,0,0
    Aspect_Ratio=4:3
    Picture_Size=720x480
    Field_Operation=0
    Frame_Rate=29970 (30000/1001)
    Location=0,0,0,1162a

d00 5 0 0 0 0 0 b0 b0 90 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0
    900 5 0 202752 0 0 0 30 30 90 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0
    900 5 0 446464 0 0 0 30 30 90 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0
    900 5 0 696320 0 0 0 30 30 90 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0
    900 5 0 991232 0 0 0 30 30 90 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0 b0 b0 a0
    If you used "Save Project And Demux Video" it should also have made an M2V file. You can play that with a media player to verify it's the clip you want. Otherwise you'll have to mark and demux again.

You can upload M2V files directly to this site.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The next post you see will have an _m2v_ file in it, not the other kind.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm back to give it another whirl. The length should be as specified. The clip shows whites and skin tone plus some color in good light. There's a lot of variations in the stage lighting throughout the piece.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Why is the thread title "Use de-interlace or other filter to improve VHS capture AVI" when it's already been deinterlaced and is progressive?

Anyway, every fifth frame is a duplicate of the one before. The dupe frames can be easily removed. The much bigger problem is that in every five-frame cycle, in addition to there being a duplicate frame there's also a missing frame. It can be replaced using interpolation techniques, I suppose, but it's nothing I'd want to teach you.

I'd suggest you 'fugeddaboutit'.
    Quote Quote  
  23. That video is encoded interlaced but the frames are progressive. It was once VHS tape and has been filtered badly. It was deinterlaced but not decimated so there is a duplicate frame every 5th frame. Too much noise reduction was applied. The bitrate was way too low for the source material. I don't know what you mean by "wavy". You can make minor improvements with QTGMC(InputType=1) and some other sharpening but it's probably going to over processed.

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("D:\Downloads\COETest3.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="xxxxxx", Info=3) 
    TDecimate()  # remove duplicate frames
    ColorYUV(gain_y=20, off_y=-2) # a little brighter
    Dehalo_alpha(rx=5, ry=1) # remove VHS oversharpening halos
    Spline36Resize(width/2, height) # half width
    QTGMC(InputType=1) # edge cleanup
    MergeChroma(last, aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # sharpen chroma
    Sharpen(0.3, 0.0) # sharpen horizontally
    TurnRight()
    nnedi3(dh=true) # restore frame width
    TurnLeft()
    ChromaShift(c=-2) # shift chroma left 2 pixels
    I did a small brightness/contrast changed but you should look at a wider variety of shots before setting on those settings.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. The consensus is leave it alone so that's what I'll do. Not a job for a neophyte.
    Quote Quote