VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used AVS video editor to create a slide show with photos that were 10 megapixels. The software show it will convert everything to 720 by 480 when converting to DVD format. The photos came out horrible. But the photos looked fine when playing them directly on the TV from the camera. The TV is 32 inches measured diagonally, 16 inches top to bottom, 27 inches wide.

Do I need to convert the photos from 10 megapixels to 720 by 480 in Photoshop before I run them through the Video Editor to convert to DVD.

Do I need to do the same thing with High Definition videos I took from the camera converting them to 720 by 480 before I put them through the Video Editing software to convert to DVD.

I always thought that video editing software would make the conversions automatically without having to convert the photos or videos to 720 by 480 beforehand. It says that it does so and gives you the option so I am confused.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use a slide-show program rather than a video editor to do this (check the tools section for suggestions)

Chances are that the program altered the aspect ratio of the pics from 3:2 to 4:3 or even 16:9 (720*480 is just the storage ratio for the dvd which is resized on playback)

The program should not change the AR of the pics.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The editor should be able to resize the source images and videos for you. But if it's not doing a good job you may want to do it yourself. Keep in mind that the 720x480 DVD frame is not square pixel. The sampling aspect ratio (aka pixel aspect ratio) is 32:27 (16:9 DVD), or 8:9 (4:3 DVD). You may also have difficulty getting your editor to understand that your videos already have the correct sampling aspect ratio for DVD.

But as I suggested in your previous thread, you should upload some sample images and VOB files so someone can tell you have something more than just the usual loss of resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An editor may do it for you, but that doesn't mean it will do it well. Yes, you may have to do it yourself.

I'm curious as to what you mean exactly when you said that they came out "horrible". Were they in bad quality, or distorted, or both? If it's the quality, then look into your editor, and if they are distorted you may have to add borders to control distortion due to the different pixel aspect ratio of DvD (as Jagabo pointed out).

Also, keep in mind, you may be going from RGB->YUV that is causing the bad quality in color space transition.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 30th Nov 2015 at 21:49.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But the photos looked fine when playing them directly on the TV from the camera. The TV is 32 inches measured diagonally, 16 inches top to bottom, 27 inches wide.
    Yes but one is apples and the other is oranges, neither are the same.

Camera sends native image data to display without alteration and tv complete's the rest depending on its setup for a particular input

The question is why convert high res images to dvd if dvd player supports jpeg playback (most do these days) ... convert to jpeg and burn to cd ... job done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Yes but one is apples and the other is oranges, neither are the same.

Camera sends native image data to display without alteration and tv complete's the rest depending on its setup for a particular input

The question is why convert high res images to dvd if dvd player supports jpeg playback (most do these days) ... convert to jpeg and burn to cd ... job done.
    Yes, I tend to agree.

DvD video slide shows are really relevant IMO when you particularly want these images as part of a video production, not for them actually being the video production when it's only for standard "photo viewing".

If it's just for regular "photo viewing" and nothing more (such as with JPEGs), then there are many better, less headache, options for this today, including this one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The reason I am putting this on a DVD rather than playing it directly from a flash drive is that I need to give this to someone. I don't know if that person has a TV that plays things off the flash drive. I am 100 percent sure he has a DVD player with his TV. And rather than give him one DVD of slides and one DVD of movies, I placed the slide show at the end of the video clips that I had to combine. Then I broke up the video and slides into two chapters; one chapter for the combined videos and one for the slides.
    I'll try to experiment with it but it is all so time consuming needing many hours to put together. And I have lots of other things I need to do in my life that make this an extra burden.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you do not have the hours, and want a dvd, then just consider the suggestion of a bespoke slide-show program.

1. Insert photos - native, no resizing
    2. Add music
    3. Add a menu
    4.Click start

Slide-show ready to burn on disk in minutes not hours

Obviously, you are creating complications by having video as well on the same disk but some slide-show programs allow to you export as dvd-ready video which you can then import in to a dvd-authoring program with your dvd-ready video (avstodvd immediately comes to mind). Create dvd files and then burn them with imgburn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnharlin View Post
    The reason I am putting this on a DVD rather than playing it directly from a flash drive is that I need to give this to someone. I don't know if that person has a TV that plays things off the flash drive. I am 100 percent sure he has a DVD player with his TV. And rather than give him one DVD of slides and one DVD of movies, I placed the slide show at the end of the video clips that I had to combine. Then I broke up the video and slides into two chapters; one chapter for the combined videos and one for the slides.
    I'll try to experiment with it but it is all so time consuming needing many hours to put together. And I have lots of other things I need to do in my life that make this an extra burden.
    Do both then - make a quick DvD slide show, and do a separate straight JPG to CD burn, or on a flash drive and tell him straight up that if he doesn't have a digital photo viewer of some sort then the pictures "won't look at their optimal" since they "obviously weren't meant for DvD video, but here's a separate copy of just the JPGs." This way you can shift the burden on him for not having a mechanism to veiw JPGs the way they were meant to be viewed if he doesn't have the means to view them properly in this day and age.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I can't upload any of the photos or videos because it was an event and I don't think people would like their images uploaded to everyone.

I ran the 10 megapixel photos off a flash drive in the DVD connected to the TV today to be sure I wasn't imagining things. The difference was significant. The images look like true photos though some are slightly dark which can be corrected. However, the images converted to the DVD, and someone was asking what do I mean by horrible, well the images look like a Van Gogh painting rather than a photo. All the smooth texture of a photo is lost and replaced by choppy texture.

The HD videos with the following quality:

Codec: Motion JPEG video (MUPG)
    Reolution: 1280 x 736
    Display resolution: 1280 x 720
    Frame rate: 29.96
    decoded format: Planar 4:2:2 Yuv full scale 1

Stream 1
    Type: audio
    Codec: IMA WAV ADPCM Audio (ms)
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 44100 Hz
    Bits per sample: 16

also look bad once converted to dvd. I saw some posts from Google that said that reducing HD to DVD does not go well. I am pretty sure I remember converting some 640 by 420 videos to DVD and I don't remember it being a problem but it looks like going from HD video to DVD might be.

Has anyone here converted HD video to DVD? What result did you get?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johnharlin View Post
    I can't upload any of the photos or videos because it was an event and I don't think people would like their images uploaded to everyone.
    You're the one asking for help. You want help, you post samples, We don't like to guess what you have. And, of course standard-def pictures on a DVD won't look as good as the original hi-def pictures. However, there are ways to minimize the quality loss.

Like a couple of others, I might recommend a DVD slideshow program, one such as DVD Slideshow GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johnharlin View Post
    I can't upload any of the photos or videos because it was an event and I don't think people would like their images uploaded to everyone.
    Use your imagination. Paste happy faces over identifiable faces in a few images and make a new DVD from those pictures. Or take your camera out to the back yard and take a few pictures of your dog or a bush, make a DVD. Upload the pictures and VOB files.

Of course. It looks like the difference between an Blu-ray disk and an SD DVD. Other things being equal, mostly just a loss of sharpness. With sharp edges you sometimes get aliasing artifacts, and with closely spaced sharp edges you can get moire artifacts. Never used AVS Video Editor though. Maybe you just didn't use enough bitrate? How much running time are you trying to put on one DVD? More than an hour?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done this several times when a certain playback objective required it, and if the HD source was high quality then the DvD versions looked very nice. All you need is a good MPEG-2 encoder for this, and use higher quality settings (which hover around 8-9+ MBPS for most scenes).

Of course, the DvDs looked very nice for DvD. It definitely was a step down from the HD source.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The funny thing is that I played the DVD on my computer today and it looked reasonably good. So maybe there is something going on with the Samsung TV monitor.
    Quote Quote