VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    There are many fake videos on the Internet that show apparently 'magic' things happening. Some of them are staged using very thin wires for supporting the objects or for supplying power to devices. My question is this: is there any efficient forensic video analysis software that could reveal those 'invisible' wires?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,if you can't see it using close scrutiny there's no way any other analysis will find them.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Machine vision can often see & reveal patterns that unaided human vision cannot. Just depends on the algorithms used and how you direct them.

Doesn't mean "wires" can/will be found.

Scott

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let me explain better. I didn't say I want to find helping wires or threads where there aren't any. I am referring to those situations where the author of the video took advantage of lighting, background, etc. to blend those supporting props. As you said, human eye can see only part of that information 'ingrained' in the video. Maybe using clever algorithms for enhancing the video, some apparently hidden information could be revealed. The only thing I would like to know is if there is any video forensics software out there to help me in such project.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In your post you did say you wanted a way to find the wires so you are just saying something else so no help for you.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless you have thousands of dollars to spend on specialized software, your best bet is probably good old Photoshop. But it's only as good at this sort of thing as the knowledge and skill of the person directing it (IOW, there is no "reveal hidden stuff" button - you have to understand edge detection, contrast enhancement techniques, etc.).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scott, Photoshop is for still images (and I am proficient in Photoshop). I am talking about video enhancing software with a multitude of algorithms. I don't mind if you couldn't tell me the name of that very expensive video forensics software. Thank you for your answers. Maybe somebody else will know more. Somebody who even worked with that software.

So let's see what somebody else has to say.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Two thoughts:
    1. If you're proficient with photoshop you must know the latest versions do ineed allow for loading and manipulation of video clips.
    2. One of the more clever uses of "invisible" wires was in Star Wars episode 1 where the wires were disguised as antennas on the vehicles. Hidden in plain sight. Not sure any specialized software would recognize that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by masster View Post
    Scott, Photoshop is for still images (and I am proficient in Photoshop). I am talking about video enhancing software with a multitude of algorithms. I don't mind if you couldn't tell me the name of that very expensive video forensics software. Thank you for your answers. Maybe somebody else will know more. Somebody who even worked with that software.

So let's see what somebody else has to say.
    Know-it-all AND ignorant ... good luck getting support on this or any other good forum. You'd get flamed off the Debian forums in record time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, the name of the secret invisible wire revealing s/w is called: "Super Duper Invisible Wire Revealer". Ssssssh, don't tell anyone.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.gif
Views:	245
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	34657  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    [Know-it-all AND ignorant ... good luck getting support on this or any other good forum. You'd get flamed off the Debian forums in record time.
    You took the time to reply on my topic just to show you have anger issues? Because it is clear you don't have anything constructive to say on topic. I recommend less coffee and less frustrations for a while and eventually you'll be good.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am referring to those situations where the author of the video took advantage of lighting, background, etc. to blend those supporting props.
    But that is not how it is done.

Yes, it is true that simple productions, such as the famous "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin that aired on USA television back in the early 1960s, simply use a dark background and lighting tricks to make the wires less visible, virtually all commercial productions (and amateur films as well) use some form of rotoscoping to remove the wires. For the past 10-15 years, this is done digitally, and the results are virtually undetectable. When I say "virtually undetectable," I might as well say undetectable. The quality of the removal is so good that unless someone is sloppy and makes a mistake, you'll never know how it was done. The technology to do this has become very affordable, and is now easily available to everyone, so I think you would find it difficult to find any scene that was shot on a green screen or which used wires, where the wires haven't been "painted out" digitally.

Why do you want to do this? Are you trying to determine if something in particular is fake or real?

It always helps if you try to describe your objective and if you do tell us what you're trying to do, I think you will be much less likely to receive criticism.
    Quote Quote