VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi folks, here I am with the "usual" problem of saving videos from YouTube...

I searched a lot, really a lot, for some utility that allows me to download and save a video from Youtube.

I am looking for something with the following three features:

1) it must be stand-alonde (not a plugin/add-on for some browser)
    2) it must be free from adware/malware/anything-ware
    3) if the video is offered in more than one resolution, it must give me the option of choosing the resolution to download, including HD if available.

In order to find something that was really free from adware/greyware, I looked especially at open-source applications, but to my great disappointment, I couldn't find anything that was really reliable. Even utilities like "4k video downloader" or "ClipGrab", for all of them somebody found an "undesirable" presence that needed much work to get rid of.

Apart from the obvious consideration that everybody seems to be eager to plant something in other people's computers I am left with the problem of finding a really safe application, which WORKS...

Do you have any hint?...
    Last edited by Elhombresombra; 28th Nov 2015 at 05:27. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Masstube or the website clipconverter. Masstube can download from age restricted videos clipconverter can't.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MassTube
    http://www.clipconverter.cc/
    This film is presented in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The black bars at top and bottom are normal. (it's you that isn't normal)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you so much! I am not interested in age-restricted pages, what I want is just to have the possibility to choose the resolution, and NOT planting any malware/adware/anythingware in my system!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a good reason that stream downloading is an eternal problem. They don't want you to do it so they keep changing protocols. Expecting one simple easy tool to do it reliably forever is not going to work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I suspected that ("...they don't want you to do it...") even though I can't understand the reason why. As I see it, it's just dumb to prevent people to watch again a certain video if the internet connection becomes unavailable, it can happen for a hundred reasons. No download, no offline-usable caching... why? And, about the last thing you said: what about a reconfigurable tool, which can be adapted/reprogrammed as the bad guys change the protocols?...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I use, but requires you to mux the a/v together. I use mkvmerge.
    http://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    What I use, but requires you to mux the a/v together. I use mkvmerge.
    http://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php
    Ahm... ...seems it requires a "magna cum laude" to understand how it works...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Mr.Delusional View Post
    Masstube or the website clipconverter. Masstube can download from age restricted videos clipconverter can't.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MassTube
    http://www.clipconverter.cc/
    I was reading the page to MassTube that you linked... even with this one, there is somebody complaining that some unwanted "extra" is installed along with the program... did you know? What do you think about that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Copy and paste the URL of the youtube video you want and press enter. It should pop up a new page and just pick put the resolution and audio you want, and save both of them by right clicking on the URL link and "save as" or "save link as" depending on your browser. This is the best method if you want those harder to download 1080p videos which youtube does not provide with audio, so you have to mux in the audio yourself with MKVmerge.

In your case (a novice), it's best to stick with downloading the videos labeled mp4 and the audio labeled mp4.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	232
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	34653  

Last edited by KarMa; 28th Nov 2015 at 19:01.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Copy and paste the URL of the youtube video you want and press enter. It should pop up a new page and just pick put the resolution and audio you want, and save both of them by right clicking on the URL link and "save as" or "save link as" depending on your browser. This is the best method if you want those harder to download 1080p videos which youtube does not provide with audio, so you have to mux in the audio yourself with MKVmerge.

In your case (a novice), it's best to stick with downloading the videos labeled mp4 and the audio labeled mp4.
    It doesn't work... the only thing it saves is a .TXT file of 0 bytes. Thank you very much anyway KarMa.
    I think that I will continue looking for an application which is really adware-free, as not even MassTube seems to be free from "uninvited presences"...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Elhombresombra View Post
    It doesn't work... the only thing it saves is a .TXT file of 0 bytes.
    I've noticed that happen too, mostly with music videos and other apparently protected content. Youtube seems to have a way to protect content and makes it much more difficult, if even possible, to download.

This is a video that also only downloads an empty .txt file
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	267
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	34654

Notice the jumble of random numbers for this protected video, some kind of hash number. Anyway I can't download it with this site. Non-protected content should be no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader. While installing one offer is presented, just click Decline to it and you'll be fine:
    http://downloadvideo.how/video-downloader/youtube-com-download-videos-tv-series.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Freemake videodownloader for quite sometime.

It does come with many unwanted extras but you can avoid that by selecting Customised Install and not Express Install. You then copy and paste your video URL and if successful it gives you available resolutions to select from.
    Quote Quote  
  14. you have to use something to download it
    you sound like your frightened to use anything
    might get a poxy virus
    use your pc thats what its for
    or bin it

youtube-dl.exe
    and command prompt

youtube-dl.exe -f best youtube-url

-f to download
    thats small case

this is caps

-F
    youtube-dl.exe -F youtube-url

gives all the formats available for the video
    so you can choose what format you want to download
    use best for the best format
    Last edited by bobit; 29th Nov 2015 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I had high-jack the topic. Sorry about that. I removed the post.

ditto for youtube-dl.
    Last edited by vhelp; 30th Nov 2015 at 14:08.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I do these days for yt dl'ing is a CLI program called youtube-dl. That's in Linux but there is a Windows version. Haven't tried it because I don't have any Windows partitions anymore. But it's always worked so far. And it's pretty simple unless you're terrified of CLI programs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    What I do these days for yt dl'ing is a CLI program called youtube-dl. That's in Linux but there is a Windows version. Haven't tried it because I don't have any Windows partitions anymore. But it's always worked so far. And it's pretty simple unless you're terrified of CLI programs.
    It seems that it's not so easy to use... seems you need to install an interpreter before, in order to use it

"It requires the Python interpreter (2.6, 2.7, or 3.3+)"
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

It seems that it's not so easy to use... seems you need to install an interpreter before, in order to use it

"It requires the Python interpreter (2.6, 2.7, or 3.3+)"
    Download the youtube-dl Windows exe. There is no need to install the Python interpreter if you use the exe.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Anonymous84347344
    We also provide a Windows executable that includes Python.
    Use this link to download the latest version.

Code:
    https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl.exe
    Quote Quote  
  20. Anonymous84347344

[...] it must give me the option of choosing the resolution to download, including HD if available. [...]
    Code:
    youtube-dl -F "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLprVF6d7Ug"
    [youtube] sLprVF6d7Ug: Downloading webpage
    [youtube] sLprVF6d7Ug: Downloading video info webpage
    [youtube] sLprVF6d7Ug: Extracting video information
    [youtube] sLprVF6d7Ug: Downloading DASH manifest
    [youtube] sLprVF6d7Ug: Downloading DASH manifest
    [info] Available formats for sLprVF6d7Ug:
    format code  extension  resolution note
    249          webm       audio only DASH audio   60k , opus @ 50k, 793.42KiB
    250          webm       audio only DASH audio   88k , opus @ 70k, 1.03MiB
    171          webm       audio only DASH audio  126k , vorbis@128k (44100Hz), 1.79MiB
    140          m4a        audio only DASH audio  127k , m4a_dash container, aac  @128k (44100Hz), 1.94MiB
    251          webm       audio only DASH audio  168k , opus @160k, 2.03MiB
    278          webm       256x144    DASH video  100k , webm container, vp9, 12fps, video only, 1.12MiB
    160          mp4        256x144    DASH video  109k , avc1.42c00c, 12fps, video only, 1.54MiB
    242          webm       426x240    DASH video  201k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 1.70MiB
    133          mp4        426x240    DASH video  293k , avc1.4d4015, 24fps, video only, 3.57MiB
    243          webm       640x360    DASH video  376k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 3.27MiB
    134          mp4        640x360    DASH video  603k , avc1.4d401e, 24fps, video only, 4.36MiB
    244          webm       854x480    DASH video  701k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 5.74MiB
    135          mp4        854x480    DASH video 1103k , avc1.4d401e, 24fps, video only, 9.47MiB
    247          webm       1280x720   DASH video 1419k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 11.78MiB
    136          mp4        1280x720   DASH video 2202k , avc1.4d401f, 24fps, video only, 18.39MiB
    248          webm       1920x1080  DASH video 2493k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 21.40MiB
    137          mp4        1920x1080  DASH video 4134k , avc1.640028, 24fps, video only, 35.32MiB
    271          webm       2560x1440  DASH video 8430k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 56.21MiB
    264          mp4        2560x1440  DASH video 9966k , avc1.640032, 24fps, video only, 81.94MiB
    313          webm       3840x2160  DASH video 18298k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 153.27MiB
    266          mp4        3840x2160  DASH video 19548k , h264, 24fps, video only, 158.92MiB
    138          mp4        7680x4320  DASH video 26163k , avc1.640033, 24fps, video only, 315.97MiB
    272          webm       7680x4320  DASH video 59785k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 397.69MiB
    17           3gp        176x144    small ,  mp4a.40.2, mp4v.20.3
    36           3gp        320x240    small ,  mp4a.40.2, mp4v.20.3
    5            flv        400x240    small
    43           webm       640x360    medium ,  vorbis, vp8.0
    18           mp4        640x360    medium ,  mp4a.40.2, avc1.42001E
    22           mp4        1280x720   hd720 ,  mp4a.40.2, avc1.64001F (best)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Elhombresombra View Post

just download the youtube-dl.exe

no need for Python

stop making problems
    Quote Quote  
  22. It doesn't run! On launch, it returns an error that, translated to English, would look like:

"Impossible to start the specified application. Incorrect application configuration." (if launched by clicking on youtube.dl.exe)

or

"Impossible to execute the specified program" (if launched from the DOS prompt)

I use Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
    I even tried launching it in compatibility mode with Windows 2000, to no avail.

What's wrong??...
    Quote Quote  
  23. because you dont read

open command prompt
    drag youtube-dl.exe in there

then press space bar on keyboard once

then type

-f best youtube-url

then press enter on keyboard

example how it would look

Code:
    youtube-dl.exe -f best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTfd6tISfw
    no need to type the bit in red cuz you dragged it in there already

and it works with Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Last edited by bobit; 27th Dec 2015 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Easy way: Firefox + Flashgot Extension = "Click & Go"

Link (Flashgot): https://addons.mozilla.org/pt-br/firefox/addon/flashgot/

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by bobit View Post
    because you dont read

open command prompt
    drag youtube-dl.exe in there

then press space bar on keyboard once

then type

-f best youtube-url

then press enter on keyboard

example how it would look

Code:
    youtube-dl.exe -f best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTfd6tISfw
    no need to type the bit in red cuz you dragged it in there already

and it works with Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    I did read what you wrote, and typed exactly what you said, but the error "Impossible to execute" is still there.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Okay, after much searching and asking, I eventually discovered the reason why youtube-dl refused to work on my system.

It's true that "youtube-dl.exe" for Windows does not need Python to work, because it has the Pithon libraries embedded (and that's why it is 6 MB vs only 1 MB of the original "youtube-dl" that needs Python).

But nobody mentioned that even "youtube-dl.exe" for Windows is not completely stand-alone, because it needs "Visual C++" installed in order to work...
    Last edited by Elhombresombra; 20th Jan 2016 at 16:10. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Elhombresombra View Post

I use Windows XP Home Edition SP3

so do i

and youtube-dl works for me
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    I use this Firefox add-on:
    http://www.cys-audiovideodownloader.com/

I realize it is not a standalone solution.
    Quote Quote  
  29. YouTube Center is the best down-loader & so much more that I ever found.

No longer up-to-date, but still very useful.

Install the Developer version for Firefox here:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, after much searching and asking, I eventually discovered the reason why youtube-dl refused to work on my system.

It's true that "youtube-dl.exe" for Windows does not need Python to work, because it has the Pithon libraries embedded (and that's why it is 6 MB vs only 1 MB of the original "youtube-dl" that needs Python).

But nobody mentioned that even "youtube-dl.exe" for Windows is not completely stand-alone, because it needs "Visual C++" installed in order to work...
    Well, that's not the first Windows program I've seen that requires visual C++ to run, and didn't say so in the docs. Perhaps the others already had it installed beforehand?

This isn't an issue in linux (at least ubuntu/mint and similar) if you install from the repos or from a .deb file. It'll automatically install dependencies. I've never used youtube-dl in WIndows.

BTW unlike many such apps, youtube-dl is frequently updated, which is a very good sign. I haven't had any problems with it but YMMV.
    Quote Quote