VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey everyone, stoked to just find this forum!

I was born in the sixties so please excuse my non tech approach...

I'm looking at getting a new tower built to replace my ageing Asus laptop which has done a great job considering the bashing it has had.

My specific need is HD video editing using mainly Vegas Pro 13 and starting to get into DaVinci Resolve.

I would really appreciate it if you have experience in this area if you would be kind enough to please cast your eyes over the specs to see if what I'm looking at is going to do the job:

Intel Core i7 6700 Skylake 3.4GHz 8MB retail box

Cooler Master N300 black mid tower case

ID-COOLING Sweden Series SE-913X CPU Cooler

Asus H170-PLUS D3 LGA1151 DDR3 ATX Motherboard

Times 2 - Kingston 8GB Single DDR3L Value Series C11 1600MHz

WD Blue WD20EZRZ 3.5" 2TB 64MB 5400RPM Desktop HDD

Samsung 850 EVO Series 2.5" 7mm 250GB SSD

Leadtek Quadro K620 384-CUDA Core 2GB DDR3 DVI-I Displayport

Asus DRW-24D6MT 24x Black SATA DVD Writer OEM

Times 2 - Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD IPS WS 5MS LED Monitor

FSP Raider Edition 550W 80PLUS Silver Power Supply

Many thanks in advance for your input and advice
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know much about the newer i7's. Here is what I have in my last year's build:

-Corsair Carbide 200R case
    -EGVA 750w PSU (Corsair are supposed to be the best, I got a deal on the EVGA)
    -Asus Sabertooth Z97 Motherboard
    -i7-4790k CPU (4.00Ghz)
    -32GB DDR3 RAM (G-Skill Ripjaws)
    -250GB Samsung 840 EVO
    -Coolermaster 212 EVO heatsink

I think I spent somewhere around $800 for mine but it rips right through video encodes. Again, I am not sure how that new 6th-gen i7 performs against the one that I have given the lower clock speed of the one you stated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your specs look OK but I really think you should get at least a secondary HDD just for video files (at least 7,200 rpm), what I use in my editing computer is a 3 HDD arranment where the first is used only for O.S. and programs, the seconds only for "raw" video files (direct from camcorderīs memory card) and the third is just for rendered files from those video files ("masters", MPGs, ISO images, mp4s for youtube upload, etc..whatever the final goal is) within that logic, a 2 TB system drive is complete overkill in terms of space, a much smaller one will do fine (also consider a faster one or even better, a SSD one)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by julitomg View Post
    Your specs look OK but I really think you should get at least a secondary HDD just for video files (at least 7,200 rpm), what I use in my editing computer is a 3 HDD arranment where the first is used only for O.S. and programs, the seconds only for "raw" video files (direct from camcorderīs memory card) and the third is just for rendered files from those video files ("masters", MPGs, ISO images, mp4s for youtube upload, etc..whatever the final goal is) within that logic, a 2 TB system drive is complete overkill in terms of space, a much smaller one will do fine (also consider a faster one or even better, a SSD one)
    For OS, he should use an SSD as it will be much faster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The OP does have a SSD listed, 'Samsung 850 EVO Series 2.5" 7mm 250GB SSD' and a 'WD Blue WD20EZRZ 3.5" 2TB 64MB 5400RPM Desktop HDD'.

I normally use three HDDs besides the boot drive, an EDIT drive and a couple of STORE drives, usually 2TB or whatever has the best price point.

And I would probably add in a Blu-ray burner or replace the DVD burner with one to modernize a bit.
    I use my BD burner mostly for archiving, not creating set top playable BDs.

And with 8GB of RAM, you would be using a 64 bit OS as a 32 bit OS can only use about 4GB.

I would also probably up the PS by a 100 watts or so as newer MBs and some video cards can use a fair amount of power.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The OP does have a SSD listed, 'Samsung 850 EVO Series 2.5" 7mm 250GB SSD'
    Ups..sorry...I didnīt read well, I thought he was only using one drive, my mistake
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks everyone for your replies - I'm gonna share your points with the shop before I finalise my order on Monday.

Most excited about the prospect of having two 24" IPS screens to work with after struggling with just the laptop for a couple of years

I'm just trying to make sure that the mechanics of my system are up to par.

Thanks for the welcome redwudz - some awesome info on this site - I think I'll be hangin' around a while!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD
    Hope you're young and have good eyesight.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Well I'm Fifty (that's young if your 84) this Wednesday jagabo and my eyesight's still pretty good just a bit short sighted.

Would have loved to have spotted up for 27's but I've blown the birthday budget substantially already.

Looking around the Asus's get a pretty good rap - what would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  10. The problem is that normal sized text on a 24" 2560x1440 screen is really small. You can set Windows to use larger text but many programs don't display properly when you do so. You get things like dialog boxes with text that disappears at the edges, or buttons that aren't rendered because they are outside the box. Even on a 27" screen text is too small. You really need a 32" screen for that resolution.

Forget the Quadro, use the onboard video, and get bigger monitors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For pro video, Photoshop, or 3Dmodeling work, the more RAM the better, so I'd recommend 16GB or more of RAM.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    @jagabo, I was torn between getting one big or going two smaller ones but is not one of the benefits of having the two screens for example, being able to have your timeline run across the two screens or being able to have your preview screen on one screen and your editing controls on the other?

IPS screens are the way to go aren't they as opposed to the 'standard' resolution screens?

I'm kind of hoping that with a new set up and dual screens it will be bliss for me compared to what I'm used to - even at 'only' 24".

@Cornucopia My specs include "Times 2 - Kingston 8GB Single DDR3L Value Series C11 1600MHz" - does this not give me the min 16GB of RAM your recommending - not trying to be a smart A, this may as well be written in Chinese to me.

Really appreciate the replies - thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IPS is preferred over TN. However, if a larger 2560x1440 resolution screen is out of the question, I am pretty sure that you could find a good 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 24"-25" IPS monitor, which should cost less than a 2560x1440 monitor. I would not personally want to go to a higher resolution than 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 at a 24"-25" screen size.

I have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. I did need to increase the the text size from the default to Medium/125% for legibility sitting at arms length from the screen. Everything seems to scale rather nicely. I have a 32" TV with an actual resolution of 1366x768 connected to an HTPC. I had to increase the text size to Large/150% for a 10 foot/3 meter viewing distance. I experience scaling problems at times.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD
    Thanks for the heads up jagabo - ended up with the LG 34UC97 Ultrawide 21:9 Curved Monitor

Can't wait to stretch a timeline across this beasty.

Just off to pick up the new tower now - happy day!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by videodreamer View Post
    Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD
    Thanks for the heads up jagabo - ended up with the LG 34UC97 Ultrawide 21:9 Curved Monitor
    That will definitely be much more readable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good advice given already, but will add my opinion.

Use only SSD drives on your system, 3 if you can - one for the O/S and installs, another for video source you're working on, and a third for your processed outputs after edits, encodes, etc. (An arrangement similarly mentioned - but I'd go all SSD on this one.)

Sure SSD is higher cost/unit, leaving you less capacity, but you will get much more speed. This will be important in lots of things, including viewing video on an editor's timeline - it should move like butter there.

Then again, don't worry too much about storage on your system anyway - it's supposed to be a work station, not your closet. You should keep it lean and mean and avoid cluttering it. You can always archive with external methods where you have major capacity options and you won't need SSD there.

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday today. And you're not old at 50. I know by that age I'll still be young myself, and even today see many others still older doing just fine today.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videodreamer View Post
    Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD
    No, it will be only somewhat more readable than his previous choice. There isn't a huge difference in the vertical dimension of the two screens, and they both have 1440 pixels vertically. The dimensions of a 21:9 34" screen are about 31.25" x 13.4". The dimensions of a 16:9 24" screen are about 20.9" x 11.8".
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD
    No, it will be only somewhat more readable than his previous choice. There isn't a huge difference in the vertical dimension of the two screens, and they both have 1440 pixels vertically. The dimensions of a 21:9 34" screen are about 31.25" x 13.4". The dimensions of a 16:9 24" screen are about 20.9" x 11.8".
    I must have made a mistake on the quick calculation. I originally came up with 104 pixels per inch. But using your dimensions it's 107 pixels per inch. And looking at the specs, it's even worse: it's called a 34" monitor but the actual screen diagonal is only 32.7 inches, putting it about 112 pixels per inch. The old Windows standard was 96 pixels per inch.

When they measure screen size of curved monitors do they measure in a straight line from corner to corner, or do they follow the curvature of the screen? Is that the discrepancy between 34 and 32.7?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Asus VX24AH 24" WQHD
    I must have made a mistake on the quick calculation. I originally came up with 104 pixels per inch. But using your dimensions it's 107 pixels per inch. And looking at the specs, it's even worse: it's called a 34" monitor but the actual screen diagonal is only 32.7 inches, putting it about 112 pixels per inch. The old Windows standard was 96 pixels per inch.

When they measure screen size of curved monitors do they measure in a straight line from corner to corner, or do they follow the curvature of the screen? Is that the discrepancy between 34 and 32.7?
    That seems like a reasonable assumption (regarding the discrepancy), but I don't know for sure. I never investigated how they determine the diagonal measurement for a curved screen because I don't like curved screens.

[Edit]Found something better. The pixel pitch listed in the LG 34UC97's manual is 0.2325 mm x 0.2325 mm. 24.5 (mm per inch)/.2325 (mm per pixel) gives 105.4 pixels per inch --> this should be 25.4/.2345 = 109.25 pixels per inch

My 23" 1080p monitor is 102.4 pixels per inch (I checked the pixel pitch (0.248 mm) in the manual's technical specs), and I do have to modify the default text scaling for legibility. I'm now closer to 60 than 50.

Just for fun, 96 pixels per inch is equivalent to a pixel pitch of 0.2646 mm
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Dec 2015 at 18:09. Reason: clarity & accuracy
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Found something better. The pixel pitch listed in the LG 34UC97's manual is 0.2325 mm x 0.2325 mm. 24.5 (mm per inch)/.2325 (mm per pixel) gives 105.4 pixels per inch
    It's 25.4 mm/inch. Making it 109 pixels per inch.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Found something better. The pixel pitch listed in the LG 34UC97's manual is 0.2325 mm x 0.2325 mm. 24.5 (mm per inch)/.2325 (mm per pixel) gives 105.4 pixels per inch
    It's 25.4 mm/inch. Making it 109 pixels per inch.
    OK. I'll fix it. I'm allowed to experience an occasional brain fart at my age.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Hey everyone thanks again for your replies and input.

Just for anyone else considering the LG 34UC97 Ultrawide 21:9 Curved Monitor I am very happy with it and it has well exceeded my expectations..

The quality of the picture on screen is awesome and text is razor sharp.

And given the ability to have multiple web pages open on screen and being able to stretch an editing timeline across it's sheer vastness will no doubt increase my productivity - I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, and the curved screen - I also wasn't a fan of curved screens but my only experience with them was when I wandered into electrical retailers where they have those big 60 - 80 inch TV's on display with quite a pronounced curve in them - yep I don't really like the look of them either but with the LG it's a delight - it's so subtle anyways that I don't even notice it when I'm working.
    Last edited by videodreamer; 7th Dec 2015 at 22:15. Reason: After thought
    Quote Quote