VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i just tried makemkv. it ripped a blu-ray in ~15min vs acrok which took over 1hr for same disc.

i didn't realize acrok was like scamware until i visited this site today & read other posters views. then i see it isn't even listed in the tool thread. i bought it 3 weeks ago so i'm going to ask for my money back. expensive and took a really long time.

i noticed that i didn't see an option for joining multiple files into one during ripping when using makemkv. it may be there i just didn't see it during my first time using it today.

the app bd_rebuilder will do that, i.e., join multiple files that were ripped, yes? i think i read that but want to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds like maybe Acrok was ripping and re-encoding whereas MakeMKV just rips.

As a general rule there's probably no need for MakeMKV to join multiple files as it should open the playist (mpls) files and rip the entire movie or individual episodes etc that way if need be. There's also the possibility different files on the disc can't be joined because the video and/or audio formats are different. If you really need to join the files after MakeMKV has ripped them though, you can try MKVMergeGUI. It doesn't re-encode either so it'll only work if the formats match.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It sounds like maybe Acrok was ripping and re-encoding whereas MakeMKV just rips.

As a general rule there's probably no need for MakeMKV to join multiple files as it should open the playist (mpls) files and rip the entire movie or individual episodes etc that way if need be. There's also the possibility different files on the disc can't be joined because the video and/or audio formats are different. If you really need to join the files after MakeMKV has ripped them though, you can try MKVMergeGUI. It doesn't re-encode either so it'll only work if the formats match.
    thanks much for your helpful reply & education...didn't know about the mpls detail. and for the link too!
    Quote Quote