VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can't install many programs anymore because for some reason Windows 7 doesn't let me do so. There are messages like:

"This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."
    "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."
    "Application Install: install rejected due to system policy"
    This has happened when trying to install new software (ATI drivers and Premiere Elements for example) or when trying to start certain games (Just Cause 2).

I have tried almost every solution I found by googling those sentences. For example:
    -This is my own computer and I'm the administrator
    -Running installers as an administrator doesn't help
    -Running the installer through administrator command prompt doesn't help
    -Turning off the UAC and Firewalls didn't help
    -I've scanned the computer with various virus and malware softwares, found nothing
    -I've tried to edit and delete stuff with registry editor, but restored them because they didn't do anything

The only thing I haven't tried is running Group Policy Editor or gpedit.msc because I don't have it.
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, many years old but this problem erupted only recently.

Any suggestion what to try?

EDIT: Solved:
    I reviewed the HKLM\Software\Policies and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Currentversion\Policies keys. I did not notice anything 'standing out' as obviously a problem. However, I backed up and deleted the keys. I then ran the GPUPDATE /FORCE command from a prompt.
    Last edited by Ananymous; 27th Nov 2015 at 13:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go back to an earlier Restore Point if it's only a recent problem? Have you installed any new Internet Security or anti-malware software recently? I know of at least one program that uses group policies to block program files in unusual places on the hard drive from running.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Go back to an earlier Restore Point if it's only a recent problem? Have you installed any new Internet Security or anti-malware software recently? I know of at least one program that uses group policies to block program files in unusual places on the hard drive from running.
    Unfortunately I don't have but only 2 restore points and the problem goes ever earlier. I just thought it was a one program that was misbehaving.

I haven't installed anything suspicious besides Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. And some automated Windows updates.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Try Reset to Default Group Policy
    I tried but guess what happened

Then I noticed it tries to use the Local Group Policy Editor which is not available in Win 7 Home Premium
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did you try two other options?
    BAT file and Command Prompt
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Did you try two other options?
    Tried the bat, same result, blocked by group policy. I'll try the command prompt tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Have you tried them in Safe Mode?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like a virus to me.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay so the command prompt went without any issues, but it didn't fix the problem.

Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Have you tried them in Safe Mode?
    Safe mode resulted in interesting results:
    C:\Users\[USER]\Desktop>RD /S /Q "C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers"
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Users\[USER]\Desktop>RD /S /Q "C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy"
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Users\[USER]\Desktop>gpupdate /force
    Updating Policy...

User Policy Update Failed.
    Computer Policy Update Failed.

To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html from the command line to access information about Group Policy results.
    What now?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Did you try creating new user account and login to it?
    Yes, still got the error
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Sounds like a virus to me.

Scott
    That was my first thought.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tried, didn't help. I've tried almost all posts from that page
    Quote Quote  
  13. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Just figure that so resilient problem may be caused by some windows file corruption.

Somethiing you could do without harming your computer and without downloading any software
    is running the microsoft windows system file checker (sfc)

From cmd run sfc /? to check what options are right for you or google for it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by locotus View Post
    Just figure that so resilient problem may be caused by some windows file corruption.

Somethiing you could do without harming your computer and without downloading any software
    is running the microsoft windows system file checker (sfc)

From cmd run sfc /? to check what options are right for you or google for it.
    Did that, didn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Tried that already. I think I didn't have those folders there so couldn't do anything
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Holy hell it worked. I was already losing hope after trying everything but for some reason this solution worked:

HarryVerge I have to give you some credit... your suggestion worked!

I reviewed the HKLM\Software\Policies and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Currentversion\Policies keys. I did not notice anything 'standing out' as obviously a problem. However, I backed up and deleted the keys. I then ran the GPUPDATE /FORCE command from a prompt.

Immediately afterwards, I was able to run all the blocked programs without any difficulties. I never needed to repeat the process for the HKCU hive.

Thank you very much for your insight and assistance!

--Rick
    So what I did was go to those two locations and because I couldn't find Currentversion folder I just extracted and then deleted the whole Microsoft folder. Then opened command prompt and ran GPUPDATE /FORCE and now everything works.

EDIT: Everything doesn't work. The programs are now installing, but at least Just Cause 2 still has the same problem. Might be about the game itself and some registry mess with it.
    Last edited by Ananymous; 26th Nov 2015 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote