VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I am shopping for a new laptop, preferably a 2-1 so that I can use it as a tablet to give better demo presentations of software that I develop for my work and side jobs. My main development laptop (and backup HP Pavilion 11.1" 2-1 laptop) both suffer from this tilt/angle phenomena mentioned below.

I have a few laptops, but the main drawback with them are that the display, when tilted or angled is distorted with a color washout look. I don't know the exact term for this phenomena (probably a cheap quality) display. I am looking for the kind of display the when you tilt it at any angle the detail is maintained.

So, to help me find the right laptop/tablet combo, I wonder if there is a search term that I can use in my search filters for google and amazon, etc., to pick out the those that do not suffer from this color washout problem. As a hint for myself, so far, I have several tablets that say they are IPS displays, and they don't suffer this tilt/angle phenomena.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "but the main drawback with them are that the display, when tilted or angled is distorted"

I always thought that was a feature so that casual onlookers would not be able to see your screen.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Have you considered the new line from Microsoft? The all new Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    >> a feature so that casual onlookers would not be able to see your screen.

I don't think that is it since it seems to only be in cheap inexpensive models of these newer generation laptops.

>> surface pro

I have one, thanks to my job. But they are too heavy to carry around and hold during a presentation. Even my boss hates it and went with some apple laptop, very light. I forget which model. Am also shopping for one as well for multi platform app development, but that is for another future topic. Anyway.

I tried looking in the specs to some of the ones that included it but I don't see anything that would give the term away. It seems then, that the only way to know is to physically see it at the store.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update.. I Just picked up a new laptop today at Walmart for $227 dollars. It appears to be a cheap nonname brand.

Specs:
    1. 11.6" Nextbook Flexx11, quad-core 1.8GHz Z3735F, 2GB DDR3L Ram, 64GB eMMC HDD, 2-USB2, 2-1 laptop/tablet
    2. model NXW116QC264
    3. 1.8GHz (1.33GHz 1.33GHz)
    4. USB Controller: USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0
    5. 2 speakers on the tablet, stereo
    6. Manufacturer: YIFANG
    7. Windows 10 Home, 32-bit
    8. 47.6GB free of 57.0GB - uses 9.0GB (6.5GB probably the hidden recovery)
    9. http://www.amazon.com/Nextbook-Tablet-Notebook-11-6/dp/B011MA1RQC
    10. www.nextbookusa.com

As it turns out, the term I was looking is IPS screen or display. These do not suffer that horrible color distortion when you tilt or fold into a tee-pee tent (for 2-1 laptops, i.e., my HP Pavilion) at an angle.

First Impressions:
    * So far I am really impressed with it. Its fast.
    * The display is very sharp and fast graphics.
    * The apps open fast and moving and sizing around is pretty fast.
    * pen touch is nice and spot on.
    Last edited by vhelp; 27th Nov 2015 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have a dell xps laptop i like a lot with a touchscreen flip display.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @vhelp, that netbook looks interesting. I ordered one from Walmart to replace a Asus eee with XP on it.
    I used the Asus mostly for flights or travel as it fits in my carry on bag. Ordered a 64GB MicroSD card also.
    My car also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so the new netbook might be a good time killer for long parking lot waits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    second impressions.. mini review...

so far i like it a lot. The keyboard lights up too. But I can't seem to find a control to dim it like my desktop keyboard--three settings for dimming. I only wish the shift key was a little wider, otherwise i can get use to it real quickly, so far so good with that. The tac-tile feel is good too. my typing is pretty good on it. you can feel the keys and it feels like you hit something. that's not the same with the more very expansive ones i've seen all week while shopping for a new laptop where the keys are too shallow and feels like you're hitting hard glass. I got this one to replace my Asus Transformer, because it would not let me completely install delphi xe7 for the mobile development, which is my primary development platform at this time. I'm hoping that the usb, though stated is usb2.0 is a usb 3.0, or one of them are. there is a port on the left and right side of the keyboard. i guess the only way to know is to test throughput on each. i also like the feature to turn off the mouse pad, fn+F12, because the mouse jumps around if you don't. well, that is with every keyboard. using the IPS display as a tablet has been good so far. very good quality display, (very sharp text when you 2-finger enlarge) at any angle. however, one caviat. i did not remove the plastic paper that covers the display, because my stylus pens glide better on it than the glass (though i have not tested the glass--but from all my experience with tablets and laptop glass (there're plastic) the stylus pens don't glide smoothly...they sort of stick to the surface). but if you do buy this model and you do take off the plastic sheet, please let me know if your pen glides smoothly or fluidly. i may take mine off if you have success. otherwise, i would recommend that you peel it carefully in a small area and test the pens response. let me know how you make out. anyway. aiws. i do not like the new IE, still. its buggy. you can't resize the window. you have to maximize it. so, i ended up download chrome, and problem solved. another good feature (for the keyboard) is that there are two fn keys. one on the left and right. this makes it easier to navigate to the Home/End, and PgDn/PgUp easier when using the keyboard on the go or on your lap. and i also like the Cntr key on the outer most left side. not second in. this is because all my other desktop keyboards (and HP and Dell laptops) have this pattern. the less i have to remember these things, the better for me to get to work w/out frustrations.

i will be using it like my main dell laptop, for software development. i will only install my development software on a mem stick, and install only what is necessary or required to install on the 64gb eMMC hdd. at least imaging (and restoring from) it will always be fast.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Reading the reviews for the Flexx, one said that the function with one other key can be used to dim the keyboard light.

I see that clear screen protector sheets are available and may be better than the supplied protector.

I should get the netbook delivered on monday, so I'll know more about it then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    date serial sticker on my packaging.

and on the unit

* photos taken from my Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
    Last edited by vhelp; 27th Nov 2015 at 08:52.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sure can't beat that price for what you get. I doubt that you will have a USB3 port but let us know for sure. Missed what OS it came with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    re: re-doing my username/account through factory resetting.

I am in the factory resetting stage. And it seems that win10 has made some changes to the way it factory resets, and takes a very long time to complete.

I started at 7:35pm, and its 8:15pm and its stil at 62% for the last 20 minutes. I can see why imaging would be a better alternative.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Below, is a transcript of the whole process for factory resetting and reinstalling windows 10 on the Flexx11 netbook.

Code:
    started 07:35pm (windows 10 was in the middle of updating the pc when I init the factory reset) 
    07:38pm preparing Nextbook...
    07:39pm reseting this pc  1 %
    07:42pm reseting this pc 62 % 
    08:10pm reseting this pc 62 % 
    08:28pm reseting this pc 99 % 
    08:40pm reseting this pc 99 % 
    09:02pm reseting this pc 100 % 
    09:07pm installing windows  9 %
    09:10pm installing windows 19 %
    09:12pm installing windows 32 %
    09:15pm installing windows 36 %
    09:17pm installing windows 39 %
    09:20pm installing windows 40 %
    09:21pm installing windows 60 %
    09:21pm nextbook
    09:22pm installing windows 64 %
    09:23pm installing windows 65 %
    09:25pm installing windows 82 %
    09:25pm . blank screen
    09:25pm installing windows 65 %
    09:28pm . blank screen 
    09:23pm installing windows 85 %
    09:30pm hi there
    09:31pm legal stuff
    09:32pm let s get onnected - wifi
    09:33pm get going fast
    09:34pm customize settings 1
    09:35pm customize settings 2
    09:36pm after defaultuser8 is posted, it will bring you to 
    09:37pm create an account for this PC screen
    09:38pm create an account for this pc screen 
    09:39pm username: flexx11, password, [enter sec string here...   ] 
    09:41pm setting this up
    09:41pm this won't take long
    09:42pm setting up your apps
    09:43pm taking care of a few things. - setting up your apps
    09:44pm lets start
    09:45pm the start menu icons
    09:47pm windows defender needs to scan your system (I let it scan)
    09:48pm scanning...
    09:50pm finished scanning.
    finished 09:50pm
    Time to finish factory resetting and reinstalling windows 10: 2hours and 15min

note, some times were aprox since I walked away at different times in the process.

Tip: You are better off using a disk image manager rather than factory reset. Of course, you want to perform that right after setting up a new pc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And now, to report my first problem with the NextBook Flexx11 netbook on windows 10.

Windows 10 on the flexx11 will not see a 1TB usb external hdd when connected to it. I am still not able to figure out how to resolve this. It will accept 16GB, 32GB and 128GB mem sticks and flash drives. Those are what I have with me.

But when I plug in this 1TB drive, the light on it keeps blinking and it makes a clicking sound.
    I know next to nothing about hdd electronics but I suspect the keyboard unit on the flexx11
    though it is a 5v/3A supply, is not supplying enough voltage to the hdd.

My Asus Transformer has no problems with this 1TB drive connected to its keyboard.
    Last edited by vhelp; 28th Nov 2015 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Reading some reviews, a couple of people noted that the Flexx didn't supply enough power to run a external HDD or DVD drive. What some used is a splitter cable hooked to a wall PS, the drive and to the FLexx. It appears to be a known issue. I have a couple of USB battery packs and I will try one of those with a splitter cable when I get the PC next week. If you need portable, that may be the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am heading out to the store, again.

1. this time, for a 4-port usb 3 w/ power supply. I think it will probably work with that, maybe. I will let you know.
    2. also, I have many usb dvd writers. i will test whether they work or not.

Note, just because of this flaw, does not mean i don't like the flexx11 all the sudden. I still like it.

What converter is it called that i need to get to go from the micro usb port on the tablet side, to convert to standard usb ?
    I want to try that as well. Maybe the 1TB will work with that.

Also, I saw a nice very light keyboard at bestbuy, but was very expensive, $69, but it was so light like a feather and I could use that when i have the tablet in front of me when i disconnect the its keyboard, i was thinking of using the more easier and lighter one. I'll check which one it was when i get there. i didn't have enough cash with me yesterday to pick it up.

I noticed that the c: drive is now down to 44.9GB. I will let it stay connected to the internet and let it go into sleep mode and see if it goes down any further with updates. i'm also leaving the usb3 hdd plugged in. maybe it will mysteriously fix itself through an update. i don't know. anyway, be back later.

ps: due to this usb issue, we (or I) can't perform an image backup. that sucks!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I found a good selection of adapters for the Flexx on Amazon. Scroll down for more:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAC1ZW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update.. re the keyboard's usb port and external hdd matter, has been resolved.

As it turns out, it is true that the keyboard base does not supply enough current to power an 1TB usb external hdd.
    (Well, I was hoping that it was a windows 10 driver issue, but oh well. Anyway)

I am happy to say that all my 1TB usb external hdd's are now working, the netbook sees the hdd's and happy to report it in explorer.

Still, it is a little disappointing that we have to go this route on this netbook.

* usb3.0 4-port mini hub by j5Create, model JUH3 -- it comes with a power supply.

But I still love the flexx11
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, one more bad issue with the flexx11.

As I have discovered, because of the design of the detachable keyboard, there are occasions, when you wable (jiggle) the tablet a little, the keyboard may blank out for a split second. It is evident when you hear the unit chime that something disconnected and reconnected. I think that this is with all these type of laptops that are detachable. My Asus Transformer was the same way. But both were seldom. I've never had a serious problem with this or corrupt data of any kind, for instance, when I had a usb mem stick/flash drive connected to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In summary..

The flexx11 has 3 CONS, but livable:

a) inability to see an 1TB usb external hdd on its own, (but resolved using a power hub, see post # 18) - i did not test the mini-usb port on the tablet it-self
    b) a sensitive detachable keyboard - not meant to be knocked around when not on sturdy surface
    c) a weird keyboard back-lighting - the lettering on the keys should be lighting, not the background underneath them

As for the PROS:

d) great tac-tile keyboard
    e) fast (quad core) cpu
    f) fast responsive IPS screen
    g) no color washout on the screen when tilted at different angles
    h) decent storage space - 64GB on this one, though you are left with 47GB after windows installation
    i) latest windows 10 operating system (if side of package says Sept 2015 or later, see post # 10)
    j) weighs about 3 lbs - keyboard and tablet together

As for me, I will be keeping the Flexx11 netbook
    Quote Quote  
  21. Let us know how it handles Excel and Word. I use Quickbooks so I would want that to work also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Finally finished imaging the Flexx11 netbook.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update..

my third impressions about the Nextbook Flexx11 netbook so far.

from post 20 above:

b) a sensitive detachable keyboard - not meant to be knocked around when not on sturdy surface
    c) a weird keyboard back-lighting - the lettering on the keys should be lighting, not the background underneath them

I still have not taken off the paper from the tablet's screen. It has a really smooth feel for one of my stylus pens. The pen has a heavy tip than all my other pens. And I have all kinds. While I was trying to understand why the pens were not gliding across any tablet screen without resistance, I was buying all kinds of pens. Then I came across a tablet case that included a pen. This pen. It was for a 7" Trio tablet. That pen just glides across the tablet w/out any resistance. It is also this way on my LG Pad 7" tablet. Nice a silky smooth. All these newer tablet screens are horrible with pens. I don't know what else to do with those tablets--how can I get a silky smooth handling. Anyway.

Back to the a) and b) impressions.

The weird back-light is something you can get use to in some situations. I work in very low light conditions at home. And at night when lights are really dimmed, the back-light helps me find the keys that i need, then i turn it off. But sometimes i just keep them on. I guess it all depends on how you use the netbook and where you are in my mind about these things.

And let me say, I do love the keyboard. The tac-tile feel and feedback is great. I've been typing on this all day today and my fingers feel great. No nail-tip trauma.

However, one thing that has been bugging me is the momentary disconnect of the keyboard and usb. When you are poking around at the tablet screen with your stylus pen, it can cause the keyboard (the four pins located at the base of the unit that help to hold and transfer the keyboard and usb electronics) to loose connection and causing the back-light to sometimes come one or flicker once or twice and/or the audio error will chime to indicate that a connection was lost or a storage device was inserted or removed). Case in point.., I was trying to install some software this morning at work, and while poking around at the tablet, the usb would loose continuity (as if i had pulled the storage device out) and cause the installation to fail, and I would have to start all over again. This happened to me twice today. Even holding onto the tablet while poking at it did not help with this. Thus, the netbook should be sturdy and still while in use. At least there is some audible or back-lack feedback when something goes wrong. Other than these incidents from this morning, I was ok the rest of the day. I recommend against grabbing the tablet while the keyboard is connected and you have a usb storage connection at the keyboard base.

My previous netbook (Asus T100) was not this fragile, and it has the same keyboard design mechanism. They need to improve upon this for the flexx11. At least get it better build like the Asus T100 netbook. I would definitely get another one with that improvement.

I still have not set this thing up as my backup software development computer yet. I need to make several image backups and then install my development software onto it. I initially started using the O&O Diskimage software, but found out that it is a trial version and has limited time on it. (see above post of imaging this netbook) Thus, I have now installed Macrium image software onto it and will image the netbook with that from now on. Once the imaging is all done, then the real test can be done on it.
    Last edited by vhelp; 1st Dec 2015 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update..

I found the solution to the lost connection problem. Just use the micro usb port instead of the keyboard's usb port.
    I found a micro usb -to- usb plug and used that to connect my usb3.0 4-port hub, and there is no more of that glitch with the storage devices. The keyboard may glitch but that is ok. I sometimes use a usb mouse on the keyboard, that is ok. But I may just get bluetooth mouse instead. For netbooks, I like using the very tiny mouse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update.. I found a new glitch.

It has to do with the processor freezing up. I don't know how else to put it. All the windows pop up, like when you insert/remove a usb storage, the explorer folder will open or close. And you can poke around with the style pen on the tablet screen. But any actions are ignored. Its like the machine locked up, but it still functions as usual. It won't accept keyboard input either.

The get around this freeze or lock: using the stylus pen, hit the windows button and then select the shut down. Wait for it to shut down completely, and then restart the netbook.

I'm not sure why this is happening all the sudden. It did do a about 30 updates this evening before powering off at work. But, all the sudden, now, around 11:15pm, it is locking up, but not the usual lock we are familiar with. Its more like a ghost lock. You know.. you can see it, but you can't touch it. Don't know how else to explain it.

Only clue I have a) it was one of the updates, or b) it has something to do with the micro usb port and the usb3.0 4-port that is connected to it.

Well, I have to do some more tests to see what is causing this weird locking phenomena.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update.. re the glitch with that weird locking phenomena.

Good news.... It turned out to be a faulty 16GB usb stick by Sandisk. The system would freeze until I immediately reformatted it. So far the problem has not returned

Also, no problem with the keyboard. I have a micro mini mouse connected to the usb on the keyboard. Everything is working great and now I can get on with the rest of the things I was going to do on this netbook. Tomorrow. Its 12:25am here.
    Quote Quote