VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking to batch convert a folder with multiple MP4 videos into uncompressed AVI videos with no audio. Is there anyway to do this easily without adding one by one into job control ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I would recommend not to use VirtualDub, but instead ffmpeg at the command line, it was made for batch processing.

But if you insist in VirtualDub, I guess it would be possible to generate a job file with a batch in a FOR loop, and to let VirtualDub process this job file via parameter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For the case of using ffmpeg:
    At first, copy the file of ffmpeg.exe to the folder in which all mp4 files to be encoded exist.
    And, in cmd line of that folder path in which encoding will be processed, type this & press enter key.
    Code:
    >for %a in (*.mp4) do ffmpeg -i "%~na.mp4" -vcodec copy -an -y -f avi "%~na.avi"

for the case of the batch file:
    make a text file in the content of the following:
    Code:
    pushd %~dp0
    for %%a in (*.mp4) do tools\ffmpeg -i "%%~na.mp4" -vcodec copy -an -y -f avi "%%~na.avi"
    popd %~dp0
    After that, rename the file name's extension to .bat (or .cmd ), and copy this .bat file & ffmpeg.exe to the target folder.
    And.. Execute this batch file by double clicking !!!
    Last edited by flying2ndsky; 26th Nov 2015 at 10:30.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by flying2ndsky View Post
    At first, copy the file of ffmpeg.exe to the folder in which all mp4 files to be encoded exist.
    Or instead, append the path to this executable to your user account's PATH environment variable, separated with a semicolon.

BTW, "-vcodec copy" is wrong. TheRandomOne did not want the unconverted video stream, but a decoded and uncompressed video. I am not sure if "-vcodec YV12" would work here.

Furthermore, it is not recommendable to store uncompressed video which would really be a waste of disk space; there are also losslessly compressing formats available as AVI compatible codecs, e.g. HFYU or FFV1 (to handle this result in other tools, you would have to install a VfW codec though, like the one in ffdshow).

Instead, if uncompressed output is really necessary, I would even wonder if YUV4MPEG output may be suitable instead of AVI.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 26th Nov 2015 at 01:51.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For the virtualdub case:

originally, virtualdub is not support to loading the input files of mp4, mkv, flv .. etc.
    So at first, you need virtualdub' plugin files(.vdplugin) to make the mp4 files to be loaded into virtualdub.
    In now, plugins sets for virtualdub are two types. the one is a ffmpeg's ffinputdriver.vdplugin & dll files, the other is a fcchandler's plugin files set.
    you should locate the one of the plugin file' set to the virtualdub' plugin folder.(for x64 bit virtualdub, plugin64 folder )

Second, make vdub job configuration script file(.vdscript) for automating virtualdub processing.
    for the job of none audio & untranscoded direct stream copy of the video stream & convert to .avi format output.
    following is the one of the vdscript for that job. make a job configuration file of the content of the following with extension of .vdscript
    Code:
    VirtualDub.Open(VirtualDub.params[0]);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetSource(0);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetMode(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetInputFormat(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetOutputFormat(7);
    VirtualDub.video.SetMode(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetSmartRendering(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetPreserveEmptyFrames(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate2(0,0,1);
    VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0, 0, 0, 0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetCompression();
    VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear();
    VirtualDub.SaveAVI(VirtualDub.params[1]);
    VirtualDub.Close();
    And, in cmd line of that folder path in which encoding will be processed, type this & press enter key.

Code:
    >for %a in (*.mp4) do [virtualdub' path]\vdub /i mp42avi.vdscript "%a" "%~na.avi"
    [virtualdub' path] is the path for the folder in which vdub.exe exists. (for x64, vdub64.exe )
    mp42avi is for the job configuration file name, so select any name you like.
    for your reference, here i append the script file.
    Last edited by flying2ndsky; 26th Nov 2015 at 04:06.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Originally Posted by flying2ndsky View Post
    Or instead, append the path to this executable to your user account's PATH environment variable, separated with a semicolon.

BTW, "-vcodec copy" is wrong. TheRandomOne did not want the unconverted video stream, but a decoded and uncompressed video. I am not sure if "-vcodec YV12" would work here.

Furthermore, it is not recommendable to store uncompressed video which would really be a waste of disk space; there are also losslessly compressing formats available as AVI compatible codecs, e.g. HFYU or FFV1 (to handle this result in other tools, you would have to install a VfW codec though, like the one in ffdshow).

Instead, if uncompressed output is really necessary, I would even wonder if YUV4MPEG output may be suitable instead of AVI.
    yes, you look thoughtful.
    good advice, thanks

but when i read the word of "uncompressed" from TheRandomOne' posting, i perceived as the untranscoded video stream extraction from the mp4 files.
    Last edited by flying2ndsky; 26th Nov 2015 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote