VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. .
    Hi

I grouped VirtualDub + a few free codecs, to a portable "pack" tested OK under Win. XP 32-bits and Win. 7 64-bits. See attachment.

Why? In some cases, you cannot install anything, nor modify Windows registry.

When?.. When I was asked by office workers if editing there, at the office, would be possible, using VirtualDub and knowing the administrator did not accept the least installation, unless by himself.

The attached portable "pack" does not modify Windows registry.

Info.: ... while, by default, VirtualDub, though it requires no "classic" install but a simple decompression of the archive you download from Avery Lee's site, writes to the registry. So does any codec installation.

Why not AviDemux, then since it's 100% autonomous, i.e. exploiting its own included codecs? Because it does not allow adding any filter; while VirtualDub, being a non-autonomous tool, lets you add as many as you want (or find: here, for instance).

At first sight, the problem was of course the codecs. But, in fact, several can be made portable, or be used "portably (virtualized)", along, quite simply.

I didn't append to this post, which asks the same question: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367386-is-there-a-way-to-have-virtualdub-with-all-t...codec-portable as it's dated Sept. 25th, 2014...
    OK, I did not include "all~~the~codecs "; again: just a few.

NO: these "packs" contain NO malware(s) whatsoever!

edit Nov. 21st, 2015 Not only spywared stuff is systematically banned from my PCs etc., I wouldn't be able to prepare / program anything of that sort anyway even if I (ever!) wanted to!

Both ".7z" archives have been tested against "virustotal.com". The 1st one was reported to contain """3 malwares""" which ARE obviously false positives. Packed to portable software is almost always considered as malware... I still wanted to get rid of those absurd alarms + needed to tidy up the "pack" anyway:

the 2nd archive is... the same (just added an html bitrate calculator), with no, or at least: less, of the useless files I had left in #1. And without the (batches-to-).exe launchers that "virustotal.com" beeped about. However, it still reports """2 malwares""".

Note (for fun...) as I was testing the contents (file by file, since the site doesn't indicate WHICH files are """faulty""", within a whole archive), one, out of their collection of about 50 antivirus softwares, named "Qihoo 360", reported "rundll32.exe" as a """malware""" (!) & that, only once I packed it, to test what was "going on"... "rundll32.exe" is nothing but one of Windows XP basic / very ususal components.

So, after "investigating" for one whole minute on that crook, here's what some tech news page reports (in its turn) about it: "Qihoo 360 caught cheating in antivirus testing"...
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by bulgom; 22nd Nov 2015 at 01:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good.

I tested the 7z file with virustotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/446224843a28fac857282ab9394561ab78de079eeba6e24ca5b...3e2f/analysis/
    I guess they are 3 false positives as they reporting different results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. .
    Hi Baldrick

Thank you for the test.
    I now have to find what exactly: which file(s?), causes that warning.

I don't remember of anything, "virtualized" using "JauntePE" * (the tool I used), becoming suspicious — while softwares processed by "VMWare Thinapp" are sometimes reported as such.

* I used "JauntePE": 1. it does not compress anything 2. AND it leaves all components (folders, files) accessible — which is essential in the case of "VirtualDub", as we (of course) need to add or delete its ".vdf filters" any time / very simply.

edit Nov. 21st, 2015 [B][/B
    ] OK: now I know which files mosty alert "virustotal.com": the (batch-to-).exe launchers, within the "pack".

Now, a "good question": why SOME, only, of thosee .exe launchers, and not all of them ?! — knowing they are all the same, except for the executable they point to...

So, I used the ones that didn't beep "virustotal.com", to re-build the other ones — just modifying their targets.

And now, two, out of ~54 running antiviruses, still warn... as... some bad joke, since one of the """alerts""" concerns: "rundll32.exe", which is one of the most ordinary Windows XP files (that I included, to replace two .exe launchers).
    Last edited by bulgom; 21st Nov 2015 at 04:33.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just tested the 7z file. It does not report which files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. .
    Thank you.
    Right:
    online "VirusTotal" does not tell which files are """problematic""". So: not easy to solve! I'm sending different versions to it...

I suspect the launchers (.exe) that "JauntePE" creates, to cause the false positive warning. Among other stuff, I just had "VirusTotal" analyse the virtualizing tool itself: "JauntePE"... Result: nothing wrong.

edit Nov. 21st, 2015
    So: the .exe launchers, as I suspected. Except that they contain absolutely NO malware. See my previous posts Nov. 21st 2015 edits.
    Last edited by bulgom; 21st Nov 2015 at 04:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bulgom View Post
    Thank you.
    Right:
    online "VirusTotal" does not tell either which files are problematic. So: not easy to solve! I'm sending different versions to it...

I suspect the launchers (.exe) that "JauntePE" creates, to cause the false positive warning. Among other stuff, I just had "VirusTotal" analyse the virtualizing tool itself: "JauntePE"... Result: nothing wrong.
    Those "portable executable archives" are also used by some 'random pirates'.
    That's the reason why the anti-virus are designed to return false positives against those packages...
    Quote Quote