VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried the recent hack that is described below and which was posted yesterday and could not get it to work for me . All I got when I inserted a Region 2 disc was an error message stating that the color was not supported . Any suggestions ?

This was posted originally by https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-bdp-s6500/12587#33086

This was the hack

Use any remote, able to control sony BDP, with numbers and return key.
    To test it try to switch BP-S6500 on.
    The code for Sony BDP is 2075.
    Once you are set switch on BDP, no disk in the tray, and type:

return
    return
    return
    return
    return

Switch off the player.
    DVD region should be free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A "region" hack is only half of the battle if you are in the US.
    Your player may now ignore the region code but your television now needs to deal with the PAL video format that is normally associated with Region 2.
    Two completely different and unrelated animals.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the info .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I did not tested thoroughly, however on my player (european version), the hack apparently works.
    At least on the first DVD I inserted.

I used the remote control of Yamaha amplifier, setting the code for Sony BDP (2075).

I tried also to do ssh to the player, and it prompted for username and password... No luck to login.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I got a Sony BDP-s6500 at Target and I cannot get this hack to work. When you enter the numbers does it show anything on the screen?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. It does not show anything.
    But you have to use a remote control not Sony able to drive also the S6500 (i.e. swtich on), having with numbers and the return key, and set it to use the code for Sony BDP.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I check it again.
    I have some DVDs region 5 and Region 2 and they are played. I tested DVD Region 1 (Eagles, hell freezes over) and no luck: for this DVD the Sony refuse to play it, region code is locked.

So I cannot figure out this partial success... (or failure)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Im using a Harmony 700 remote set up to be a Sony BDP-6500 remote. I have a region 1 player and trying to play a region 2 NTSC dvd from Japan.

The
    Quote Quote  
  9. I dont think the Harmony is compatible with sending numbers to the player. I may need to find another remote to test.

EDIT: tried our cheap RCA remote and it didnt work either.

Do you have the latest firmware? I havent updated mine yet because there was region free firmware that I was trying to get from ebay but the seller wont email me it. They were supposed to send it within 24 hours and they haven't responded since I ordered on 11/30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-BDP-S6500-Multi-region-DVD-Hack-Firmware-for-Multi-regi...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Im desperate to play the new Sailor Moon discs from Australia. R2 NTSC.

EDIT: seller says they've been having internet troubles but they will be giving me the hack.
    Last edited by D.A.R.J.R.; 4th Dec 2015 at 11:06. Reason: Seller has contacted me finally.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The player is Linux-based. It should be a way to login into the player.. perhaps booting from USB.. If only I would have a little of time and more skills...
    Quote Quote  
  11. The seller sent me the firmware hack and key this morning to hack the drive. It all works now with regions 1,2,3 NTSC (thats all I have to test) I look forward to having a region free player that's a name brand and can do 4K and 3D.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a Harmony 650 remote. It is programmed for the BDP-S6500 and works.
    But the numbers pads are not encoded!! So impossible to enter the codes.

Has someone a solution?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    INFORMATION ON OTHER MODELS?

Sony BDPS6700 4K Upscaling 3D Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player (2016 US model)/Multi Region

I know others have posted information for other Blu Ray models, but can you list STEP BY STEP how to make this Sony US model Blu Ray Player PLAY Blu Rays
    from other regions? Specifically, Region 2 and Region 3?

Has anyone tried this recently/do the steps still work? I heard that Sony is "blocking" attempts to make recent DVD/Blu Ray players multi region?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone find a hack/unlock code for this player? I bought mine in the U.S. and none of the solutions I've read here so far are working.

But I think the problem may be the remote -- I don't really have a one-for-all remote and the remotes I do have that control the BDP-S6500 either don't have a number pad or a return button.
    Quote Quote