VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm looking for free video editing software that's easy to use for the basic functions.

all I want is split videos but so far I haven't found a single good program for that. Everything I tried is overly complicated and hides basic functions in menus you don't normally look into for this kind of stuff.

Just now I tried Videopad and neither right click nor using keyboard buttons nor the edit menu would let me simply delete part of the video, everything hidden behind the more than vague "sequence" and "clip" menus and no matter what I tried, simply delete the part of the video I had selected was not possible.

Oh and of course I want to be able to save the edited video in its original format. So if I have an mp4 I want to be able to edit and save again as mp4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A version of VideoReDo is probably the easiest, but it's not free.
    Last edited by hech54; 16th Nov 2015 at 10:15. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  3. Video To Video. Tools -> Commercial Remover. Use "Direct Stream Copy" (default) when saving to avoid re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux. set start and stop. delete. save. and it will crash...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    avidemux. set start and stop. delete. save. and it will crash...
    That's why I still use an OLD version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ouch, one of these totally screwed up my codecs. Suddenly neither MPC nor Zoom Player nor even Windows Media Player can play the results of editing,NOR ANY OTHER VIDEO FILE
    What just happened?

I uninstalled everything but I still can't play any video files.

I changed a bunch of CCCP settings a while ago so I could watch a file with unusual audio, I'd really prefer not to have to repair/re-install CCCP and have to do it all over again.
    Last edited by Megidolaon; 16th Nov 2015 at 23:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Megidolaon View Post
    I changed a bunch of CCCP settings a while ago so I could watch a file with unusual audio, I'd really prefer not to have to repair/re-install CCCP and have to do it all over again.
    Codec packs like CCCP and k-Lite ARE the problem. They are almost treated as a virus here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Eh, no. CCCP has worked like a charm since I started using it in 2007 and has never let me down before. Clearly, a video program that destroys working codecs is the problem and I've never had any problem like this before with other video editing software.

Hell, not even resetting the CCCP settings does anything.
    How can I fix this mess?
    Last edited by Megidolaon; 17th Nov 2015 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    like hech54 says treat it like a bad virus. format c: and re-install windows. and unless you want to rinse and repeat leave off all codec packs and only install individual codecs on an as needed basis. you won't heed the advice but we've been hearing this same horror story for years.....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoReDo seems well behaved on my PCs. I have been using various versions for few years now. I have MPC-HC and Pot Player installed as well as WMC and WMP. None seem troubled.

However, I don't use codec packs. Codecs are installed as needed to reduce the likelihood of creating "codec hell".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I take it that you do not have a recent system restore point that you could use to return your PC to a state that existed before installing any of these editors?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also looking for an free editor which would help straighten out slightly crooked video due to an uneven tripod. It was taken with a JVC camera in MTS format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  13. .
    The problem, with many (very) simple video CUTTERS, is the types of videos they accept to process: often not enough "formats"... That's why I stick to & recommend more usual tools:

—— Basic editing: "AviDemux" (free) is very easy: a simple video cutter — in the 1st place, i.e.: + some filters + it's also a converter —, able to process many video formats. BUT you need at least two if not more versions, "simultaneously"... When one crashes on some video, instead of wondering endlessly, immediately switch to another one.

For "instance", its 2.6.8 versions don't always let me scroll certain silent AVC H.264 videos (no audio track at all). Then: switch to the old 2.5.6 32-bit version. That 2.5.6 is the latest of the "2.5.x branch" — different from "2.6.x" series.

—— Basic editing: "VirtualDub (VD)" (free): easy — though it includes some advanced options. Note: is accepts very many (free) & interesting "filers" (plug-ins), while "AviDemux" does not. By defaut "VD" opens .avi and .mpeg videos only, and lets the user save to: .avi container only *. To open MP4 files, add the (special) "VirtualDub FFMpeg input plugin".

* But to AVC H.264 if you want / if you have installed "x264" in Windows. You will then need — usually... —, to "remux" to .mp4 container, with "AviDemux".

Another main difference between "AviDemux" and "VirtualDub": "AviDemux" being 100% autonomous, it makes use of its own, built-in, codecs ONLY (but comes with a frame server, if you need external codecs; i.e. to open video files it doesn't accept by default...). Whatever external you install in Windows, "AviDemux" does not even "see" it. "VirtualDub" is not autonomous; therefore, it exploits all Windows installed codecs.

In practice, you would both need "AviDemux" AND "VirtualDub". It's the "conclusion" many newbies + intermediate + advanced users come to — at least, once they get fed up with gadget interfaces (see below)...

—— Advanced editing: "Sony Vegas" (commercial + expensive), somewhat like "Photos
    hop", CAN BE easy, even very easy! There ARE exceptions: SOME programs, though labeled "pro or semi-pro", are still usable at once / quite intuitively, by newbies. I KNOW: it's NOT what most people think & advise... Nevertheless, little example:

Say you want a crossfade between two shots. Drop a video on "Vegas" timeline, cut at a certain point ("S" shortcut key), partially drag the 2nd segment onto the 1st one and... that's it! = as simple & quick as with old "Windows Movie Maker"; while you have no easy crossfade option (don't crossfade too often, though...) with "VirtualDub (VD)", and none with "AviDemux". "VD" will only crossfade trhu non intuitive "AviSynth" text scripts...

Note: a "Vegas" version, as old as 5.x, is by far advanced enough to satisfy most usual needs.

—— Advanced editing: "AviUtlExtraPack version!" (free): many commands: as "sophisticated", though easy, as "Vegas". Say you want to overlay a still picture (logo., title) onto some part of your video: just drag it to some track, BELOW the main track of your video (ABOVE, with "Vegas"), and export to .avi; while with "AviDemux" & "VD" such a basic effect requires way more mouse clicks...

With the exception of "AviUtl" may be, one reason why I recommend the above tools is and has alway been important to... MY eyes anyway: their interface is simple, quite a plain grey window ("Vegas": old versions), NOT a darn Xmas tree (besides, I have nothing against Xmas trees ) of colorful icons etc.!

Why important? Because audiovisual stuff is way complex enough in itself & to begin with (since you manage both moving images AND audio). Gadget interfaces might appeal to you at first sight, but soon become an annoyance, knowing the concentration video editing (often) requires.

important point · About... countless (!) softwares that ruin Windows installation, because of the spywares they force to it, note that NON of the above is a nuisance of that sort: they do NOT contain any malware.

I even forgot to mention the malware problem, because I use a "disk image" to restore my Windows "partition" ( C: ), but post #12, by Usually Quiet, somehow reminded me. [ And about "Sony Vegas", become real heavy & complex, I mentioned OLD versions, much lighter than recent ones. ]

Originally Posted by ARoninLiberal View Post
    (...) free editor which would help straighten out slightly crooked video due to an uneven tripod. (...)
    VirtualDub (free)
    Video > Filters > Add > "Rotate 2". Type an angle value (positive or negative ( - )). Then, the "Crop" filter needs to be applied...

Or:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359108-Video-Rotation-in-Virtual-Dub-1-9-11
    Last edited by bulgom; 18th Nov 2015 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote