VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    What's up guys. As title suggests I am an idiot with most things computer. For example, I still own a working Atari game console, a working original NES, and my computer is looking at her 12th birthday approaching. Anyhoo... I have a Funai VCR/DVD combo recorder and have been recording VHS for a long time. Started getting into recording DVD a few years ago and have run into a problem. HDCP. VHS continues to work great, but seeing how blank cassettes are hard to find now a days I can't seem to record much of anything on DVD. Most college football broadcasts are encrypted and I can't even record my boys in orange and blue!!!!
    I have read about the ViewHD HDMI splitter that strips the HDCP for use on digital capture devices, but frankly that's over my head. My question to you fine people is this...If I bought the ViewHD splitter and an HDMI to RCA/Component cable to connect my equipment to my VCR/DVD combo would I actually be able to start recording my football games on DVD?
    No interest in youtube posting or loading onto computer. Looking for the good ole days of tossing in a blank and hitting REC button so I can watch later.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You look like an ideal candidate for a new DVR! You didn't say where your video is coming from, but I'm going to guess a cable box from the HDMI / HDCP part. Yes, you can defeat HDCP but it's a pain (not to mention illegal!) and IMO just not worth the effort. I've been a TiVo owner since 2000 and can't imagine life without them. They're especially good for sports since most people don't want to save each and every game forever.

If you have a cable provider, see if they can do a promotional deal for you to try out their DVR. If you get to like DVR life, you can either rent theirs or buy a TiVo. There's not much 3rd party DVR competition left. For OTA signals there are more choices. (And with satellite there are none--you have to use their DVR.) If you want to keep this simple, and not have to jump through hoops to see your shows, DVR really can't be beat.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oldschoolfan View Post
    What's up guys. As title suggests I am an idiot with most things computer. For example, I still own a working Atari game console, a working original NES, and my computer is looking at her 12th birthday approaching. Anyhoo... I have a Funai VCR/DVD combo recorder and have been recording VHS for a long time. Started getting into recording DVD a few years ago and have run into a problem. HDCP. VHS continues to work great, but seeing how blank cassettes are hard to find now a days I can't seem to record much of anything on DVD. Most college football broadcasts are encrypted and I can't even record my boys in orange and blue!!!!
    I have read about the ViewHD HDMI splitter that strips the HDCP for use on digital capture devices, but frankly that's over my head. My question to you fine people is this...If I bought the ViewHD splitter and an HDMI to RCA/Component cable to connect my equipment to my VCR/DVD combo would I actually be able to start recording my football games on DVD?
    No interest in youtube posting or loading onto computer. Looking for the good ole days of tossing in a blank and hitting REC button so I can watch later.
    HDCP is digital copy protection applied to HDMI (a digital connection). If you are using a DVD/VHS combo recorder, you can only record from your cablebox's/satellite receiver's standard definition analog connections. (composite video, S-Video or RF out on channel 3 or 4) Your problem is analog copy protection (CGMS-A or Macrovison). To defeat that you need a video stabilizer. I have never used one, but there are people here who swear by the Dimax Grex.

If you get a ViewHD splitter so you can record from your set top box's HDMI out, you will need an HDMI to composite converter. A cable won't work. HDMI is digital. Composite is analog. HDMI is primarily used for HD resolutions. Composite is strictly standard definition.

TiVos work great, but if you can't record from your cable box's SD analog connections, the TiVo's recordings from the same channel will be copy protected. You won't be able to transfer those to a computer or re-record with a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. With a Series 3 and newer TiVo, no cable box is needed. The TiVo uses a CableCard to handle the digital keys for decryption of HD video. So it will require an update to a HDTV set to see a HD picture. The Series 3 models will work with a SD composite output if the OP doesn't want to see HD, of course.

If the OP gets NTSC or ClearQAM over cable, a generic DVR can tune those in without needing a cable box either. Same thing for OTA TV. Yes it's an expense--so are all those adapters and copy cheaters. I happen to think that going the DVR route is a more elegant solution in many cases. I don't know all the details, but I do know that it's 2015 and SD video is a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Speed Daemon; 15th Nov 2015 at 20:12. Reason: Added 2nd paragraph.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
    With a Series 3 and newer TiVo, no cable box is needed. The TiVo uses a CableCard to handle the digital keys for decryption of HD video. So it will require an update to a HDTV set to see a HD picture. The Series 3 models will work with a SD composite output if the OP doesn't want to see HD, of course.

If the OP gets NTSC or ClearQAM over cable, a generic DVR can tune those in without needing a cable box either. Same thing for OTA TV. Yes it's an expense--so are all those adapters and copy cheaters. I happen to think that going the DVR route is a more elegant solution in many cases. I don't know all the details, but I do know that it's 2015 and SD video is a thing of the past.
    We don't know what kind of TV service or which provider the OP has. As already stated those with satellite service have limited recording options.

We also don't know why the OP is using a DVD recorder. It would probably be good to find out. Some people use DVD recorders for watch-erase-recording and for that there are other options. Other people use DVD recorders because they want to keep permanent DVD copies of the programming they record. DVD recorders offer unmatched convenience for that.

It appears that the OP is trying to record a channel with copy-once protection. TiVos and service provider DVRs obey the copy-once flag. If the OP likes keeping DVD copies of what he records, he won't be able to copy recordings stored on such devices without resorting to a copy protection remover of some kind, if the channel is flagged copy-once. For the purposes of this forum, using copy protection removers to record TV falls under fair use.

I use a PC CableCARD tuner for recording from cable service. My DVR is a 6-year-old PC running Windows 7 which would otherwise have been recycled or sit unused as a spare. It works pretty well and costs less than TiVo. Guide service for Windows 7's Media Center is free. I also use a DVD recorder for recording a few shows from OTA SD channels because I want a permanent copy that plays with a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only content that I've ever had a CCI code on was from premium channels. I've never seen it used for sports, but as you say, neither of us knows the particulars. Is it not considered polite to speculate here?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
    The only content that I've ever had a CCI code on was from premium channels. I've never seen it used for sports, but as you say, neither of us knows the particulars. Is it not considered polite to speculate here?
    The FCC allows copy-once protection to be applied to all channels except for rebroadcast over-the-air locals, but is up to the TV service and the channel's owners to decide whether to use it or not. Some providers do choose to copy-protect everything other than over-the-air locals. Others only copy protect premium channels. Of late Fox has been pushing paid TV services to copy protect its sports, news, movie and financial channels.

Speculation isn't considered impolite here, but it isn't particularly helpful either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the input everyone. My use of a vcr/DVD combo player and recorder is me being old fashioned. Blank in, permanent copy out, one step, simple. I am trying to record football games for posterity seeing as I have 3 nephews playing college ball and try to permanently record every game. Channels provided via satellite and rabbit ears for the locals. Locals are hit or miss on recording. Satellite channels are a consistent no go except on cassette tapes, which as I said in original post are getting harder and harder to find. Two teams = two tapes per week so I'm running out fast.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oldschoolfan View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. My use of a vcr/DVD combo player and recorder is me being old fashioned. Blank in, permanent copy out, one step, simple. I am trying to record football games for posterity seeing as I have 3 nephews playing college ball and try to permanently record every game. Channels provided via satellite and rabbit ears for the locals. Locals are hit or miss on recording. Satellite channels are a consistent no go except on cassette tapes, which as I said in original post are getting harder and harder to find. Two teams = two tapes per week so I'm running out fast.
    I have some questions.

Satellite TV has historically not been inclined to apply analog copy-once protection to most channels. The main exceptions would be premium channels like HBO, and Pay-Per-View offerings. I want to try to find out if what you are trying to record is likely to be copy protected. Which satellite provider do you have? What channels are you attempting to record?

Some DVD recorders have known limitations. I want to find out if your model has any. What is the model number for your DVD/VCR combo?

Using analog A/V connections and HDMI at the same time sometimes causes problems. Are you using HDMI to connect your TV to the satellite receiver?

What connection are you using to connect the satellite receiver to the DVD/VCR combo when you are trying to record a DVD?

Are you seeing some kind of error message when you attempt to use the DVD/VCR combo to record to DVD? What does it say?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oldschoolfan, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote