VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Here's my problem. As you surely aware, the BD forum canceled several licenses for BD usage. For exemple Nero get ride of the bd player un nero 2016 without any annoucement, and some other products no longer read BD menu.

I do personnel video using HD cam, editing with software like magix or powerdirector, generat a BD iso, and when I want to read it on my media player and my TV, no menu! Of course, I could burn a disk, read it on a BD reader, and lose my video in several year when BD disk no longer readable.

I was thinking to a solution : create a DVD Menu which launch HD video. Is it possible?? I can't do that with Magix according to available options.

Thanks for your answers

PS : I'm not sure i'm in the good part of the forum, may be in DVD authoring?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try Multiavchd. it can author complex bluray menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks I going to try that
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lanthalas View Post
    Hi,

Here's my problem. As you surely aware, the BD forum canceled several licenses for BD usage. For exemple Nero get ride of the bd player un nero 2016 without any annoucement, and some other products no longer read BD menu.

I do personnel video using HD cam, editing with software like magix or powerdirector, generat a BD iso, and when I want to read it on my media player and my TV, no menu! Of course, I could burn a disk, read it on a BD reader, and lose my video in several year when BD disk no longer readable.

I was thinking to a solution : create a DVD Menu which launch HD video. Is it possible?? I can't do that with Magix according to available options.

Thanks for your answers

PS : I'm not sure i'm in the good part of the forum, may be in DVD authoring?
    It isn't possible to author a DVD containing HD video. The DVD spec only permits SD video, so no DVD authoring software will create a DVD from HD video without converting it to DVD-compatible SD MPEG-2 first.

Also DVD, Blu-Ray, and AVCHD discs must have a particular file and folder structure to be playable, so it isn't possible to "marry" a menu created by a DVD authoring program to video that is not DVD compatible and not authored according to the DVD spec.

You need to author a Blu-Ray disc or AVCHD disc to have HD video with a menu. The MKV container may support menus in the future, but the feature has not yet been implemented, and DivX with menus (DivX-Ultra) is a dead format.

If you want to play home-made Blu-Ray ISOs on a PC with full menu support, it should be possible to mount them with DVDFab Virtual Drive and play them with PowerDVD Ultra. If not using a PC, the only reliable option with full Blu-Ray menu support is a hardware Blu-Ray player and authored Blu-Ray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer. My problem is not on PC, I'm using already Powerdvd and read with no problem (util now, but will it stil true in the futur...)
    My problem as I said is on my media player (zappiti 4k).
    I tought the ultimate solution was to buy a bd player....unfortunately.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer. My problem is not on PC, I'm using already Powerdvd and read with no problem (util now, but will it stil true in the futur...)
    My problem as I said is on my media player (zappiti 4k).
    I tought the ultimate solution was to buy a bd player....unfortunately.

Thanks again.
    Either stop worrying about the future or give up using menus now --- just use files. The Blu-Ray menu structure is so complex that it is extremely difficult to create unlicensed software or hardware media players with perfect menu support. Blu-Ray will be around for some years, but every commercial distribution format eventually becomes obsolete. No hardware or software able to play authored Blu-Ray with full menu support will exist forever. Once the Blu-Ray format is dead, it will be necessary to rip the content to files and find a different way to enjoy them.

If the ability to play Blu-Ray is removed from PowerDVD Ultra in the near future, it will be because the licensing authority has decided that no Blu-Ray player software should exist or because Cyberlink finds the license too expensive. If the ability to play ISOs is removed, then it is likely that mounting the ISOs on a virtual drive will restore the ability to play them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Nov 2015 at 12:06. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure your right, but for homemade video, menu are very usefull and enjoyable. And menu don't need to be HD, so that's why I ask this question.

But my filling is that all theses restrictions will kill BD
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure your right, but for homemade video, menu are very usefull and enjoyable. And menu don't need to be HD, so that's why I ask this question.
    The menu still needs to be a Blu-Ray menu or an AVCHD menu to have a playable ISO with HD video, so the menu might as well be HD too. As I stated earlier DVD menu + HD video cannot work. Only DVD-compatible SD video in a properly authored DVD file and folder structure works with DVD menus.

But my filling is that all theses restrictions will kill BD
    People here keep saying that, but Blu-Ray exists primarily to sell movies on commercially produced Blu-Ray discs, and most people who buy them are satisfied with using a Blu-Ray player to enjoy their purchases. Most people who don't want to use discs use commercial streaming services licensed to distribute movies.

Home authored Blu-Ray is a sideline.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    It is possible to make a DVD-video with a menu and put it into Blu-ray format, leaving the original menu and video intact. But that isn't what the OP is asking for, and uses SD video resolutions.

Making your own Blu-ray menu can be done for free with MultiAVCHD as mentioned by imhh1 in the first reply, but that program is buggy and takes patience. You can also make very simple menus for Blu-ray in BD Rebuilder, but they will be quite crude compared to what can be produced in MultiAVCHD.

I've used Encore instead, but it isn't free, and is no longer developed. If you are going to do a lot of authoring, you might want to consider TMPGenc Authoring Works 5, (though it doesn't support VC-1 video).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lanthalas View Post
    Sure your right, but for homemade video, menu are very usefull and enjoyable.
    Folder listing is a menu. Think about it.
    All you need to do is get home movie clips, basically break you movies into clips, get into that habit, name it properly, so it is always listed in time manner, rough example:
    Directory name 2015_11_November_Uncles_Hubert_Wedding
    clips in the directory:
    01_gathering.mp4
    02_ceremony.mp4
    03_after_ceremony.mp4
    04_dancing.mp4

or you can give the clips the name with "year_month_day_subsequent number_description" format, it is up to you, this way you can put those clips of yours on one pile, all of them, and they will line up chronologically

what you can do is also include 01_gathering.jpg, 02_ceremony.jpg, 03_after_ceremony.jpg, 04_dancing.jpg in that directory and when browsing with media player you might see those jpg's as a icons for those clips
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    It is possible to make a DVD-video with a menu and put it into Blu-ray format, leaving the original menu and video intact. But that isn't what the OP is asking for, and uses SD video resolutions.
    Yes, this still requires Blu-Ray authoring. Someone could use the video and audio in the menu's VIDEO_TS.VOB as assets for creating an SD Blu-Ray menu, but the original DVD menu's functionality and buttons will be lost. They would need to be re-created in the Blu-Ray authoring process. The result will only look and sound like the original. Anything that makes it functional as a menu will be different.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Nov 2015 at 11:42. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Yes, this still requires Blu-Ray authoring. Someone could use the video and audio in the menu's VIDEO_TS.VOB as assets for creating an SD Blu-Ray menu, but the original DVD menu's functionality and buttons will be lost. They would need to be re-created in the Blu-Ray authoring process. The result will only look and sound like the original. Anything that makes it functional as a menu will be different.
    I've done this with DVD2BD Express, which left the DVD menu functional (or reworked it as you suggest). I've no idea what the internal process is within that program to make the menu work even when it has been put into Blu-ray format. I do know that it loses chapter points, and it is best not to have them at all in the original DVD, else it causes pauses in playback once in Blu-ray format.

By the way lanthalas, we are wandering off topic here. DVD2BD Express is only for DVD-video input, and not appropriate for your HD material. Your best bet for a free solution is still found in the first answer in your thread...MultiAVCHD. Commercial options, like the TMPGenc program I mentioned will be easier to work with if you plan on creating Blu-ray often.
    Quote Quote