VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

Sorry this is a first post, but can someone possibly help me ? I have an .asf file that I received from a friend that can't seem to be played at all? (he couldn't get it to work). I don't know if its fully broken or if it can be repaired at all? Isn't asf a really old format ? (At least by 2015 ? I apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology, truly I am a newb/pleb in all of this).

I've never done any sort of video editing (let alone video repairing). So I literally have no idea what to do with this file. I'm sorry to ask such a big question, but I don't know where to start with trying to fix this thing, I don't even know if it can be fixed.

I tried downloading ASFbin as it prior search to see if there were tools that could help, I downloaded the GUI. But either I don't know what I'm doing when I tried using ASFbin with it and got nothing with the output file or it may not be fixable?

Help anyone please? Where should I at least try to begin?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How big is the file?

In asfbingui did you add the asf by select files from folder, choose the asf, click the <<<--- and last click Cut/Copy/Join to try make a new out.asf (in the Destinaton folder)? No file created?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	asfbingui.png
Views:	1377
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	34445

Or else try open and convert the asf to mp4/mkv/avi/ec with an encoder like xmedia recode, handbrake, avidemux, etc. They will probably not even open the file if it's completly broken.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might also see if MediaInfo will give you a bit more information about the file. It should read ASF format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    How big is the file?

In asfbingui did you add the asf by select files from folder, choose the asf, click the <<<--- and last click Cut/Copy/Join to try make a new out.asf (in the Destinaton folder)? No file created?
    [Attachment 34445 - Click to enlarge]

Or else try open and convert the asf to mp4/mkv/avi/ec with an encoder like xmedia recode, handbrake, avidemux, etc. They will probably not even open the file if it's completly broken.
    Okay I followed your steps for ASFbingui. It did output a file - but the file still wouldn't play. I tried putting it into handbrake (although I have old version of handbrake), and Handbrake could read it, and I tried to just convert it to mp4. It did output an mp4. Now the mp4 file is seekable, but its got a bunch of messed up colours and has has no sound. I tried to take a screenshot with VLC. I hope uploaded it to this

Oh yeah, sorry, the file is small - only 309 mb.

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-11-12-12h53m24s121.png
Views: 786
Size:  105.6 KB

(should be the screenshot).

Should I try the other encoders? Do you think they might be able to better convert it?

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You might also see if MediaInfo will give you a bit more information about the file. It should read ASF format.
    Mediainfo seems to be able to read it. Let me see see if I can export the info to a text file as attachment
    (okay should be attached as test.txt)

What should I try next?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Attachment test.txt says:
    Code:
    Encryption:   http://man.entriq.net/services/WMLicense?CrmId=belgacom&amp;ContentAccountId=belgacom&amp;ContentItemId=bloc_party&amp;ContentChannelId=SkynetBroadbandPortal&amp;version=v1&amp;keyid=lR456jlshUs86NDGPopr3A==
    So you've gotten a DRM-protected ASF
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Attachment test.txt says:
    Code:
    Encryption:   http://man.entriq.net/services/WMLicense?CrmId=belgacom&amp;ContentAccountId=belgacom&amp;ContentItemId=bloc_party&amp;ContentChannelId=SkynetBroadbandPortal&amp;version=v1&amp;keyid=lR456jlshUs86NDGPopr3A==
    So you've gotten a DRM-protected ASF
    I didn't know it was DRM'd. I just thought the video file was broken and that's why it wouldn't play, sorry. I knew it was a concert gig, but that's all I knew about it.

I guess technically this means its not broken and its doing exactly what its supposed to be doing? I guess this answers my original question of trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Should I ask a mod to close the thread?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This forum doesn't close threads automatically, so if you believe your question has been answered satisfactorily, and you aren't interested in receiving more replies, you can ask a moderator to close it via PM.
    Quote Quote