VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry if the title is vague, I re-wrote it more times than I care to admit. Firstly this is not a pressing issue just one of stubborn curiosity. There is a bank where I live that have been littering the town with these little cardboard boxes with a ribbon pull tab. When you pull the tab you get IRL spammed with a video advertising their latest crap product on a little color screen and mono speaker inside the box. I took one home and soldered a usb jack to it and lo and behold it loads just like a teeny tiny thumbdrive (well, teeny tiny - it's 10x the size of the first thumbdrive I ever owned (8 meg trek, phwoar!)) that has no intelligence to it and just seems to play the video file placed on it. But the video file needs to be in the right format or it will not play and simply says 'format error.'

So being the idiot I am I naturally rip the max headroom broadcast interruption from YouTube and begin messing around. The MediaInfo of the file is below as is a sample. I have tried with every freely available piece of software I can find to imitate the settings on this file but so far have failed. Which has just made me even more curious to learn what software they were using. Given that most of my knowledge with video formats (and most things) comes from fiddling with pointless things it's something I would love to get to the bottom of if anyone is familiar with this sort of thing.

General
    Complete name : E:\10K 2.4.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 25.0 MiB
    Duration : 9h 32mn
    Overall bit rate : 6 109 bps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Duration : 2mn 13s
    Source duration : 2mn 13s
    Bit rate : 1 479 Kbps
    Width : 320 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Original height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 21.682 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.888
    Stream size : 23.5 MiB (94%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : ADPCM
    Codec ID : 11
    Codec ID/Hint : Intel
    Duration : 9h 32mn
    Source duration : 2mn 13s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 88.2 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 22.05 KHz
    Bit depth : 4 bits
    Stream size : 1.41 MiB (6%)
    Interleave, duration : 46 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the Q. is.

So I report you for spamming the forum or just let a mod decide.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The question is how to I determine what format it is / how can I make a video format just like that one?

Sorry, I'm spamming the forum? I have made one post in my entire account history?
    Last edited by M. le Belfrey; 10th Nov 2015 at 02:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess another user posted some spam and it has been deleted by another mod.

Nope. I have no idea what they used to make the avi.

Is the running time correct: Duration : 9h 32mn ??
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Nov 2015 at 02:38. Reason: added spam reason
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Maybe the easier part: video = MJPG, 320x240 (should be preparable rather easily with Cedocida VfW codec; just the frame rate is strange, probably variable, or simply without any standard)

Probably a little harder: audio = IMA ADPCM, mono, 22050 Hz (should be exported in a legacy WAV editor using ancient ACM codecs)

Even the AVI container may require some quirks to make it compatible with this player, maybe try explicitly saving a legacy AVI in VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What I find odd about it is the fact that it is <480 (pixels high) and yet it is saying "Interlaced" scanning (those 2 are usually mutually exclusive).

ADPCM is easy to do, even with stock Windows (well, at least XP-era).

There may be some additional data that is being filtered out by MediaInfo (junk chunk?, etc) that is pertinent to the player.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10th Nov 2015 at 07:07.
    Quote Quote