VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

    I have been encountering a number of MP4 files with Subs that can turned off via the Player, MPC/VLC etc., or via LAV Splitter, but when I load them into Yamb or MKVToolnix the Sub tracks don't show up. I know they aren't hard coded or the players and LAV could not turn them off.

    My question is what software can see them, how are they encoded in the first place to make them invisible to other programs, and how do I remove them?

    Addendum: Media Info has this to say about one of these files...

    Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 53mn 30s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 126 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 164 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 48.4 MiB (16%)
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-02-01 10:51:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-02-01 10:51:58

    Text
    ID : 3
    Format : Timed Text
    Codec ID : tx3g
    Duration : 53mn 21s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 154 bps
    Stream size : 60.1 KiB (0%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-02-01 10:51:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-02-01 10:51:58

    I am new to 'tx3g' Soft coded Subs and would like to understand them better, plus be able to remove the pesky tracks at will...
    Last edited by Mousewarp; 8th Nov 2015 at 21:11. Reason: Added information
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    message redundant
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried play with quicktime player?

    If you remux to a mkv with mkvtoolnix do the subs follow ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. My understanding:

    Timed Text is a xml subtitle format. The MP4 container only supports subtitles in either ttxt or idx/vobsub formats.

    Both MY MP4Box GUI and YAMB recognize the .ttxt subtitle and can de-mux it. My MP4Box GUI de-mux as .srt and YAMB offers a choise. Also My MP4BoxGUI and YAMB automatically converts .srt to .ttxt when muxing.

    MKVMergeGUI doesn't recognise .ttxt in a MP4 container.

    PS You can create a .ttxt file from a .srt by (CLI): mp4box -ttxt Subtitle.srt
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 11_9_2015 , 5_08_35 PM.png
Views:	403
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	34391  

    Last edited by videobruger; 9th Nov 2015 at 10:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried play with quicktime player?

    If you remux to a mkv with mkvtoolnix do the subs follow ?
    Yes they do, they are not standard Subtitle tracks, in fact in MKVToolnix they are invisible...
    Last edited by Mousewarp; 13th Nov 2015 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    My understanding:

    Timed Text is a xml subtitle format. The MP4 container only supports subtitles in either ttxt or idx/vobsub formats.

    Both MY MP4Box GUI and YAMB recognize the .ttxt subtitle and can de-mux it. My MP4Box GUI de-mux as .srt and YAMB offers a choise. Also My MP4BoxGUI and YAMB automatically converts .srt to .ttxt when muxing.

    MKVMergeGUI doesn't recognise .ttxt in a MP4 container.

    PS You can create a .ttxt file from a .srt by (CLI): mp4box -ttxt Subtitle.srt
    These subs are in a weird format 'tx3g', neither Yamb or My MP4Box see them, nothing could see them until I tried, mp4muxer-0.9.3 which I am happy to say allowed me to delete the track altogether.

    I can still find nearly zero info about these subs, but it seems likely they are some variant of XML. All I know is they are a pain in the ^&% and I am encounterering more and more of the stupid things.

    Sadly mp4muxer-0.9.3 does not process files in batches, or if it does I cannot determine how...
    Last edited by Mousewarp; 13th Nov 2015 at 20:45.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried mp4muxer-0.9.3 with a .mp4 file containing Tx3g and it doesn't even see them, so I cannot remove the unnecessary Sub tracks. Any more ideas? (neither does mkvtoolnix see them).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't see them but you can turn them off in a program that can see them, then why bother trying to remove them especially as you might have to recode and lose quality? Maybe there is a tag editor that can set any subs as default off. ?
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    If you can't see them but you can turn them off in a program that can see them, then why bother trying to remove them especially as you might have to recode and lose quality? Maybe there is a tag editor that can set any subs as default off. ?
    Yes they are soft tracks, but I want to remove unnecessary ones, mark one of them with the 'forced' tag. All this cannot be done unless I can see and edit them, which currently seems impossible.

    By the way, reencoding doesn't necessarily mean lossy. There's lossless encoding too. Furthermore, for what I wan to do, (change track metadata info), there's no reencoding of video involved.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    So if you put the file in a MKV container using MKVMerge Gui the subs don't show up in the main window? What about in the attachment window anything there?
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    So if you put the file in a MKV container using MKVMerge Gui the subs don't show up in the main window? What about in the attachment window anything there?
    Already tried that. Nopes, they don't. That's the basic problem. Neither windows show any subtitle track. After converting to .mkv, the resultant file doesn't contain any subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member leghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I've never encountered any of this. Have you looked here? Maybe that could help....
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads