VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if there's any correlation between the two. I see that MediaInfo and others mention this number, so I guess it's for a reason
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ankutsa View Post
    I was wondering if there's any correlation between the two. I see that MediaInfo and others mention this number, so I guess it's for a reason
    It gives better compression efficiency, which will give smaller file sizes or better quality for the same file size. Depending on if you use two pass or CRF.
    Quote Quote  
  3. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ankutsa View Post
    I was wondering if there's any correlation between the two. I see that MediaInfo and others mention this number, so I guess it's for a reason

You should read this thread in doom9 forum:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165490
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also should not go above 9 ref frames, as that is the limit for High@L4.1 is probably the most compatible profile.

Update: Yeah I forgot, 9 ref frames max for 720p High@L4.1, and 4 ref frames max for 1080p High@L4.1.
    Last edited by KarMa; 8th Nov 2015 at 14:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there a trade-off? If higher ref frame numbers lead to smaller file sizes and better quality, there must be a disadvantage, otherwise nobody would use low numbers
    Quote Quote  
  6. slower to encode, decoding needs more memory (means hardware players may not be able decode the stream if you go too high, many players can only use 4 refs for 1080p for example)
    Last edited by sneaker; 8th Nov 2015 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What if I, theoretically, go with CRF and 100 ref frames, and say it takes a month to encode 2 hours of video, how much would the file size decrease compared to 4 refs? 10, 50%, 90%?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Depends on some variables like content type, but think 1%-5% (diminishing returns). It's not a magic weapon. Just use --preset, --tune and --level and let x264 choose optimal value.
    Last edited by sneaker; 8th Nov 2015 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ever hear of the law of diminishing returns? Hyperbolic curve? Asymptotic functions?
    It applies here.

That's why there is the often referred to encoding "sweet spot".

Scott

<edit>Sneaker beat me to it.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Nov 2015 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you're encoding for bd authoring don't go over 5 ref frames since most newer blu-ray players will show a lot of smeared blocking.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1080p BluRay (and H.264 level 4.1 in general) is limited to 4 refs, so, yes, that's a bad idea to begin with. For "professional" authoring we have clear specs, no need for guesswork.
    Quote Quote  
  12. those specs are here, if someone wanted to look at it, it is all interconnected frame rate, ref frames, resolution, with specific equation there
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ankutsa View Post
    What if I, theoretically, go with CRF and 100 ref frames, and say it takes a month to encode 2 hours of video, how much would the file size decrease compared to 4 refs? 10, 50%, 90%?
    No encoder supports more than 16 ReFrames so your question is a moot one.
    Quote Quote