VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, so i've been planing on this little project, where i have a pre-made video, and at a specific point in the video there'll be small boxes (in the video) with realtime video from multiple cameras. I've been fighting with this for hours, searching the internet from one end to the other, and now i'm wondering if it's possible?

This is my first post here, so i hope this isn't the wrong place or something.
    All help is a appretiated - thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. But it's possible to create a prerecorded piece with a greenscreen placeholder box and then fill in the box with live video during a live stream/broadcast.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Live production switches can do this - such as a tricaster or blackmagic atem
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could also do it in AviSynth (text script based) but it's pretty complex.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You could also do it in AviSynth (text script based) but it's pretty complex.
    I don't think avisynth can read a realtime/live feed ?

It might be possible in ffmpeg , but the computational overhead and latency for more than a few streams will probably too high before it starts to drops frames and desync

Eitherway, you'd need some hardware to plug the SDI or HDMI port of the camera , unless it has wireless. Or maybe he was thinking of something like a webcam ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You could also do it in AviSynth (text script based) but it's pretty complex.
    I don't think avisynth can read a realtime/live feed ?
    I've done it using a filter graph built with GraphEdit (and a capture device) and DirectShowSource().
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Nov 2015 at 21:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    think about it. video players don't have built-in capability of opening video embedded web addresses, they would appear as video(auto advancing still pictures). unless of course you want to code your own player and good luck with that. LOL
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    think about it. video players don't have built-in capability of opening video embedded web addresses, they would appear as video(auto advancing still pictures). unless of course you want to code your own player and good luck with that. LOL
    He didn't say anything about web; but video players can open web addresses, though several protocols. VLC , Mplayer, ffmpeg/ffplay can do this through HTTP, RTSP, RTMP . You can open a webcam feed directly for example in ffmpeg. Since it supports multiple input/outputs and filtering options like overlay, it should be possible at least theoretically

I was under the impression this was a studio setup, but I could be wrong. At least with a hardware setup, there is less problem with latency, lag and sync problems
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Wow, way more response than i expected - thanks a lot!
    As poisondeathray said, i'm thinking of getting the input from a webcam (not remote though) directly into the finished video. I was thinking of having sort of a "live greenscreen", but that's usually done the other way around - like having a pre-made video replace the greenscreen, while i'm trying to achieve the opposite. As someone said, it sounds pretty complex, but i'm a stubborn fella so i think i'll give the suggestions i've got here a try.
    Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  10. ffmpeg supports webcams through the directshow driver. I know because I've used it with (1) . If you have more than one,

Code:
    ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy
    should list all the connected dirctshow compatible devices on that computer. (and of course, ffmpeg can read a "finished" video)

So combined with -vf overlay , it should be possible to do what you want
    https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#overlay-1
    Quote Quote