VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I will be getting Win 10 with HDMI port. The video card is AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3

Receiver is Denon Avrx1200 w

Am I going to have any trouble with playback of any movies. I do not wish to trans-code, burn, or anything other than dl and play. Will the HdMI/video card play all formats that the receiver supports. This receiver supports all the way to DTSX, which is not applicable to that many movies that I know of, it also supports Dolby Atmos, same scenario. Do you think that this (HDMi) is the most efficient way to play music via Itunes. As opposed to Ipod which sounds best for now compared to Airplay. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many people report HDMI handshaking problems when connecting their receiver (any receiver) and other devices via HDMI. There is no way to tell ahead of time whether or not you will be one of them.

{Edit]...or maybe I'm interpreting the question incorrectly. Video cards will only support bitstreaming a limited number of formats via HDMI, probably fewer than what the receiver supports. I found a review saying TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are supported. You will have to test other HD audio formats.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Nov 2015 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Many people report HDMI handshaking problems when connecting their receiver (any receiver) and other devices via HDMI. There is no way to tell ahead of time whether or not you will be one of them.
    Ok thanks for your response. 10 years ago or more I was able to connect PC to tv HDMI/DVI and get it almost perfect. Even Nvidia could not even figure it out. I hope it works out. Do you think providing it "handshakes well", that it is the best way for sound and will it play the formats providing it does connect well. It should in theory right? I had read earlier ( it was dated 09') that HDMI did not support any DTS or later formats.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes it will, but keep in mind that the source file must be coded in that specific sound format (You can check with MediaInfo or MediaInfo Lite) and the player in your case aa computer with AMD card and Win 10 should use MPC-HC, MPC-BE or any other playing software that can be adjusted to bitstream the audio to the Receiver via HDMI (-> e.g. Lav Filters in MPC-HC integrated or LAV Filters as external Filters for MPC-BE. MPC-BE also supports bitstreaming on its own as far as I know.

I recommend 32 bit only without installer or 64 bit only without installer on https://mediaarea.net/de/MediaInfo/Download/Windows
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm#mediainfo

https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
    http://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/

https://mpc-hc.org/
    https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/
    http://mpc-be.org/builds/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM

{Edit]...or maybe I'm interpreting the question incorrectly. Video cards will only support bitstreaming a limited number of formats via HDMI, probably fewer than what the receiver supports. I found a review saying TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are supported. You will have to test other HD audio formats.
    You found a review of my video card? Can you send me a link please? So what is the best solution?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Yes it will, but keep in mind that the source file must be coded in that specific sound format (You can check with MediaInfo or MediaInfo Lite) and the player in your case aa computer with AMD card and Win 10 should use MPC-HC, MPC-BE or any other playing software that can be adjusted to bitstream the audio to the Receiver via HDMI (-> e.g. Lav Filters in MPC-HC integrated or LAV Filters as external Filters for MPC-BE. MPC-BE also supports bitstreaming on its own as far as I know.

I recommend 32 bit only without installer or 64 bit only without installer on https://mediaarea.net/de/MediaInfo/Download/Windows
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm#mediainfo

https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
    http://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/

https://mpc-hc.org/
    https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/
    http://mpc-be.org/builds/
    Yes!. I am familiar with that player. I did find that VLC tends to play more efficient. I am also familiar with the media info. So are you saying I am going to have to adjust each movie filter to match my receiver? How do I know my receiver (filters etc). I don't believe I have seen that info if I am following correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post

You found a review of my video card? Can you send me a link please? So what is the best solution?
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M335.144861.0.html

I can't offer a solution, all I can do is tell you that its likely that some higher-quality audio formats won't be available.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M335.144861.0.html

I can't offer a solution, all I can do is tell you that its likely that some higher-quality audio formats won't be available.
    Yes. Thank you. I had also read that review. Just forgot. However, I don't see the dilemma according to you or the web site. I don't know that the movies I dl will get any higher than that, at least not for a while.

Do you think that is a good method for music too? other than ipod or ariplay ( ipod is a little better than Airplay).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Forget VLC to bitstream Audio formats to a receiver. I use it to play some videos on my iPad Air 2. For this it is very nice.

But for real entertainment on a pc use MPC-HC and set up Options->Internal Filters->Audio Decoder (right bottom)-> Check Bitstreaming formats. But the file or disc you play must have a dts audio stream to bitstream dts to the receiver ( or whatever codec) but this is clear.

Alternative: MPC-BE and LAV Filters as standalone and set up as external filters.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Forget VLC to bitstream Audio formats to a receiver. I use it to play some videos on my iPad Air 2. For this it is very nice.

But for real entertainment on a pc use MPC-HC and set up Options->Internal Filters->Audio Decoder (right bottom)-> Check Bitstreaming formats. But the file or disc you play must have a dts audio stream to bitstream dts to the receiver ( or whatever codec) but this is clear.

Alternative: MPC-BE and LAV Filters as standalone and set up as external filters.
    Ok I will use MPC. I always liked it better. Had dled a file and it would not play video with either MPC but did work with VLC. I have read that DTS compared to DD is only if anything marginally better. I care more about the a/r being 1920/1080 or comparable. Do any files at that a/r contain DD or DD+DS ( which is the format my receiver mostly defaults to on the tv). I only have 5.1.

So will I have to "uncheck" it for other movies? Or will it not matter. I know my old dvd player stopped supporting packed bitstream, so I have to unpack them and it works well. Not relevant but that's about all I know concerning bitstreams.

Is HDMI to from pc to receiver the best method for music?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Check all formats the Denon should decode all. (bitstreaming = AV Receiver decodes the signal

HDMI is digital, that means it depends only on the format the music is. If it is software decoded, then it is passed as PCM = uncompressed to AVR, but if the music is codec in a format the receiver supports I would use bitsreaming (= take the signal like it is and the Receiver know what to to with that and decodes the signal on its own and will do it without any misconfiguration or any other error
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Check all formats the Denon should decode all. (bitstreaming = AV Receiver decodes the signal

HDMI is digital, that means it depends only on the format the music is. If it is software decoded, then it is passed as PCM = uncompressed to AVR, but if the music is codec in a format the receiver supports I would use bitsreaming (= take the signal like it is and the Receiver know what to to with that and decodes the signal on its own and will do it without any misconfiguration or any other error
    Ok Thanks!. I will make sure to check all formats. I always thought they came all checked when it installs. So you recommend using the one without the installer ok?

I assume all my music is PCM. That is what it says on the input on receiver. I don't like music in 5.1. I think the Multi Channel Stereo option is best.

The Denon comes with a "Restorer" option. It is "supposed to restore" compressed formats to original. It does increase the quality. I was just wondering will I notice a quality difference in using HDMI from Itunes to receiver comparable to the Ipod (usb). Is HDMI better than USB? Plus I heard that when the music is transferred to Ipod from Itunes they are again losing some quality. However, that is an unreliable source that said that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. MediaInfo without installer because no crapware included
    MPC-HC OR MPC-BE (two different projects!! can be installed with installer -> clean installers on both projects
    No, the receiver tells you PCM because the audio file are software decoded and passed through to the receiver uncompressed as PCM and the receiver only sees PCM so it tells you PCM.
    Compressed formats are compressed according to a specification -> Codec, you can software decode it then it it is ALWAYS passed through HDMI via PCM. If bitstreamed the original audiostrem is transferred via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver decodes the stream with hardware. I never used iTunes for entertaining use, it only takes backups from my iPad, nothing more for me
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    MediaInfo without installer because no crapware included
    MPC-HC OR MPC-BE (two different projects!! can be installed with installer -> clean installers on both projects
    No, the receiver tells you PCM because the audio file are software decoded and passed through to the receiver uncompressed as PCM and the receiver only sees PCM so it tells you PCM.
    Compressed formats are compressed according to a specification -> Codec, you can software decode it then it it is ALWAYS passed through HDMI via PCM. If bitstreamed the original audiostrem is transferred via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver decodes the stream with hardware. I never used iTunes for entertaining use, it only takes backups from my iPad, nothing more for me
    Ok. Don't really understand what that explanation of PCM results in? Not meant to be rude, just don't know or see how that answers which way to play music . Then what do you recommend for best quality playback through receiver. I have app 7k songs so...

The way I see it. There is not much I can or want to do with all my music files. It should not matter much which player I use (Itunes, WMP, or whatever)/
    My question is simply will it playback better with HDMI to receiver or from Ipod to receiver from USB? The Airplay being the 3rd applicable solution is a downgrade.
    Last edited by mlmiller707; 6th Nov 2015 at 16:46.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Exactly, every audio-codec which is not supportet by the receiver (No receiver supports all kind of codecs like mp3, vorbis, ...) is decoded by software and then always sent to Receiver as PCM. Take the player you want. I like foobar2000 very much as audio player.
    But for BDs, DVDs with AC-3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, DTS-HD or any other audio which can be decoded by the receiver should be decoded with the receiver. If it decodes the stream it displays instead of PCM the format like Dolby Digital, or whatever it is decoding. Keep in mind that the audio-stream of a file can also be "true" PCM, which is displayed always as PCM, because there is "no" decoding, it's already umcompressed stored (big stream/file!)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Forget VLC to bitstream Audio formats to a receiver. I use it to play some videos on my iPad Air 2. For this it is very nice.

1. The Audio Decoder tab is NOT highlighted. How do I access it?
    2. What is your reason for owning an Ipad/tablet? I never understood the marketing for this gadget. It does not fit in one's pocket and does not have the functionality of a laptop ( my future laptop will have touchscreen). The Dell rep (not that's saying much) could not explain the difference in functionality of a 2n1 vs a laptop with touchscreen. Obviously it comes apart, so...

MPC-HC (Nightly)
    ----------------

Build information:
    Version: 1.7.9.181 (b107b95) (develop)
    Compiler: MSVC 2013 Update 5 (SSE)
    Build date: Oct 5 2015

LAV Filters:
    LAV Splitter: 0.66.0.27
    LAV Video: 0.66.0.27
    LAV Audio: 0.66.0.27
    FFmpeg compiler: MinGW-w64 GCC 5.2.0

Operating system:
    Name: Windows NT 6.1 (build 7600)
    Version: 6.1

Hardware:
    CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N455 @ 1.66GHz
    GPU: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (driver version: 8.14.10.2117)
    Quote Quote  
  17. 1. It's a button called "Audio decoder" in Options -> Internal Filters -> right bottom corner (as earlier mentioned) in MPC-HC. What's wrong with that button? I should be clickable. Let me know if you need some help.
    2. To be honest, I got the iPad Air 2 from my relatives living in USA (I'm from bavaria) so we can do Facetime. Facetime is free and there are lots of cool apps for the iPad. I'm going to buy an iPhone, because I'm not satisfied with my Android phone (very expensive Note 4) and iOs is very nice.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    1. It's a button called "Audio decoder" in Options -> Internal Filters -> right bottom corner (as earlier mentioned) in MPC-HC. What's wrong with that button? I should be clickable. Let me know if you need some help.
    2. To be honest, I got the iPad Air 2 from my relatives living in USA (I'm from bavaria) so we can do Facetime. Facetime is free and there are lots of cool apps for the iPad. I'm going to buy an iPhone, because I'm not satisfied with my Android phone (very expensive Note 4) and iOs is very nice.
    1. Yes I know. Not clickable, not highlighted like tab next to it is for "Video Decoder" ...
    2. Iphone is nice, it fits in your pocket. I had a G1 once, and gave it away. Too much time spent holding the little thing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Which version do you have and where have you downloaded it, I hope not K-Lite
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    Which version do you have and where have you downloaded it, I hope not K-Lite
    Yes Klite. latest...I posted all the version info. 2 posts up.
    Quote Quote  
  21. K-Lite is not MPC-HC! They have a modified version without internal filters. Deinstall that crap and download the latest nightly from the developers site https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	293
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	34362

see
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    K-Lite is not MPC-HC! They have a modiefied version without internal filters. deinstall that crap and download the latest nightly from the developers site https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/

I c, do you recommend still having all the codecs they provide or do I have to search for all those individually? Do I have to uninstall entire klite pack or just the MPC
    Quote Quote  
  24. NO need for K-Lite crap. Trust me. MPC-HC has built in LAV Filters which covers 99,99% of all formats, codecs ...

Deinstall K-Lite completety, it's not the original version with LAV Filters
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search PM
    NO need for K-Lite crap. Trust me. MPC-HC has built in LAV Filters which covers 99,99% of all formats, codecs ...

Ok will do. Never been to Bavaria. Been to Berlin, Dusseldorf, and all over Europe. Some of my friends ancestors are from there.

http://mediaexposed.tumblr.com/post/10109316874/hints-about-911-in-movies-and-tv-shows-etc
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search PM
    My new lap will be 64 bit, this one is 32 so...no worries for now. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a assuming a regular PC here, not a laptop. EDIT:It's apparently a laptop. No S/PDIF.

What I've used for years is S/PDIF digital audio output by my PCs sound card. Most newer PCs have a digital output, either optical or coax that can be hooked to a receiver and avoid all the HDMI problems. For your setup, try the HDMI and if you have problems, you can then try S/PDIF output. It's on most all motherboards, at least as an option.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yeah, S/PDIF is an alternative. What HDMI problems? I never had problems with HDMI. But S/PDIF doesn't support "newer" audio formats like DTS HD Master Audio, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, ...
    Quote Quote