VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it even possible to strip HDCP from Xfinity X1 video? Just curious. I've read about some devices that are supposed to, but the one I have doesn't seem to do the trick. Not sure if there is something defective, operator trouble or just not possible.

I have this device. It's the ViewHD 4K model; not the ViewHD 3D

Is there a power on sequence?
    Should my red led input light light? It does light, if I plug in a non-HDCP signal but it never lights when I plug in my xfinity x1 signal.

Anyone know if any splitter can strip the HDCP from xfinity x1 (not original Comcast)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Eight reviews at Amazon for the ViewHD VHD-Pluto 4K HDMI splitter say it strips HDCP, but I can't recall anyone here saying that they have one. Note that it is only HDMI v1.4a compatible so it doesn't offer much future-proofing for UHD video, which will use HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2.

Most members here have the VHD-1X2MN3D and find it works for removing HDCP from a variety of video sources. I haven't heard anything from VideoHelp members about using one with the X1 system, but I found a couple of reviews on Amazon that said it worked with the X1 boxes. The current X1 boxes don't use HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 that will be used for UHD Blu-Ray etc. Given that the the X1 boxes use standard HDMI connections, it seems likely that the VHD-1X2MN3D would work for regular HD cable channels if you can't get any help for your current splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Eight reviews at Amazon for the ViewHD 4K say it strips HDCP, but I can't recall anyone here saying that they have one. Note that it is only HDMI v1.4a compatible so it doesn't offer much future-proofing for UHD video, which will use HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Most members here have the VHD-1X2MN3D and find it works for removing HDCP from a variety of video sources. I haven't heard anything from VideoHelp members about using one with the X1 system, but I found a couple of reviews on Amazon that said it worked with the X1 boxes. The current X1 boxes don't use HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 that will be used for UHD Blu-Ray etc. Given that the the X1 boxes use standard HDMI connections, it seems likely that the VHD-1X2MN3D would work for regular HD cable channels if you can't get any help for your current splitter.
    I've read that about the HD version. I ordered the 4K one because I'm actually using this with video from a source that can be 4K (camera). But when I tried it with xfinity x1 input, the red light didn't even come on. Made me wonder if I was just powering things in the wrong order. OR if there might be some cable issue. I haven't seen anyone say the 4K one strips, specifically, the xfinity x1 video HDCP. Only that it strips HDCP from some sources.

I did order the VHD-1X2MN3D also and it will be here tomorrow. It's more of an academic thing anyway. I don't really have anything that needs stripping. Just got it because it was cheap.
    Last edited by MikeSD; 5th Nov 2015 at 14:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Eight reviews at Amazon for the ViewHD 4K say it strips HDCP, but I can't recall anyone here saying that they have one. Note that it is only HDMI v1.4a compatible so it doesn't offer much future-proofing for UHD video, which will use HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant.

I've read that about the HD version. I ordered the 4K one because I'm actually using this with video from a source that can be 4K (camera). But when I tried it with xfinity x1 input, the red light didn't even come on. Made me wonder if I was just powering things in the wrong order. OR if there might be some cable issue. I haven't seen anyone say the 4K one strips, specifically, the xfinity x1 video HDCP. Only that it strips HDCP from some sources.

I did order the VHD-1X2MN3D also and it will be here tomorrow. It's more of an academic thing anyway. I don't really have anything that needs stripping. Just got it because it was cheap.
    Sometimes turning on HDMI-connected devices in a particular order prevents HDMI handshaking problems. It's hard to say if it will help with your problem, since many times HDCP causes HDMI handshaking difficulties, and installing an HDMI stripper fixes them. I leave the VHD-1X2MN3D powered on all the time when I use one. The order in which I turn on the devices connected to it doesn't seem to matter.

You could try power cycling the VHD-Pluto to see if anything changes. To reset/power-cycle a splitter, unplug the power adapter and disconnect the HDMI cables. (HDMI carries a small amount of electrical current, enough to power some splitters by itself.) Let the splitter sit for a while to allow any residual charge stored in the electronics to dissipate before reconnecting the power adapter and HDMI cables. I plug the power adapter in last.
    Quote Quote