VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody.

I'm trying to backup my Star Wars trilogy BDs but I can't find any software that supports this option. Many (most) of them, like Handbrake, are capable of identifying the different angles, but the thing is I want to keep the movie with its original opening crawl in english AND with the translated one in my native language.

Does anyone know of a conversion tool that fits my needs? Is there any method to get it with different programs?.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you looked at MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com)? It doesn't mention the different angles but it does a good job of taking m2ts files and converting to mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I've tried it, but while it recognizes the different angles, it doesn't (or I don't know how to) keep them in the output MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the MKV container even supports different angles (?) then I expect BD Rebuilder can do it. But I've never tried so I can't swear to it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If the MKV container even supports different angles (?) then I expect BD Rebuilder can do it. But I've never tried so I can't swear to it.
    Well, I'm not sure MKV supports multiangle, did some google research but nothing concluding. Does anyone have any clue?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use MakeMKV to do a full backup, then try chapterEditor on it.

I've heard the author boast that it turns seemless branching into ordered chapters, so I assume it does multi angle as well. If it doesn't you could most likely ask the author to support them.

Just note, most MKV players don't support ordered chapters, so if you try to play it on those you'll end up having to watch both openings when you watch the movies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mkv videos do support seamless branching,not sure which apps can do it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MKV supports having multiple streams (of video & audio), as do ALL the other major containers, but "multi-angle" is not just a function of stream support in the codec/container, but rather a SYSTEM where the container and the player(s) agree on how to treat the multiple streams. DVD & BD have spelled it out clearly (so the players always agree with the properly-prepared container). No other format has.

Seamless branching is a navigational construct (built upon multiple streams and multiple playlists). AFAIK, no apps can do it for MKV, or any other format besides DVD or BD.

If the OP wants to rip the multiple streams, and remux them together, and then passively change streams (mid-playback), then that should be quite possible for MKV and for players which support multiple streams+stream-switching-while-playing (my guess would be very few, however).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Seamless branching is a navigational construct (built upon multiple streams and multiple playlists). AFAIK, no apps can do it for MKV, or any other format besides DVD or BD.
    Thats not correct. MPC-HC/BE, VLC, mpv and other software players support mkv-seamless-branching via ordered chapters.

Only chapterEditor is able for the moment to create multi-mkv's from Multi-Edition/Angle Blu-rays/DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I stand corrected regarding seamless branching. MultiAngle is a different matter.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I just would thank help regarding tool(s) needed to arrange a seamless branching mkv via ordered chapters.
    Quote Quote