VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. .
    Win. 7 (and on) with XP explorer easy interface please?

—— edit: attached example ——

Hi

Using Windows 7 (and also 8/8.1), would there be a way to force the display of explorer / folders windows, to be as simple & efficient as Windows XP's?

Explorer being set to "detailed view" of files and folders:

—— With Win. XP: to select multiples files and/or subfolders, simply circle them using the mouse, starting from almost anywhere (except right on a file itself, OK):

i.e.: you can position the mouse pointer just about WHEREVER you want.

—— With Win. 7/8.x: impossible.

You have to position the mouse pointer on the very narrow left margin. Or far to the right.

Of course (please note that) I HAVE disabled "full row select".

But, even with such a short name as "1.mp4", the whole "Name" column width stays in "full row select" mode (not the next columns, OK).

And I don't care about that small checkbox, to the left of every file name (useless in most cases).

With Win. 7/8, when hovering (no click) any file or folder name (in "detailed view", not "thumbnails" neither "icons" view, please):

the line itself or at least the WHOLE "Name" column WIDTH automatically displays that line SELECTED (with their absurd "3D - cylinder" effect... that I'm fed up with ).

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

Quick explorer display comparison example?

—————— Win. XP explorer detailed view :

1.mp4
    Loooooooooooooooooooog-name-file.mp4
    Meeeeeeeedium.mp4

In the above case, the user CAN left click the mouse
    1.mp4 RIGHT HERE
    Meeeeeeeedium.mp4

... without selecting anything, yet.

That's what I want (because I'm manipulating tons of files, anytime).

—————— Win. 7/8 explorer detailed view:

1.mp4 IMPOSSIBLE TO CLICK RIGHT HERE
    Meeeeeeeedium.mp4

without selecting "1.mp4"...

[ Or... "Win-XP-mode-within-Win-8-or-10"? I know. But "well", if I could avoid that stuff ... ]

Thanks in advance to any efficient helper.

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by bulgom; 1st Nov 2015 at 16:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Works fine for me on Win7 = click from anywhere. If I do understand you correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. .
    1. Thank you for the reply.

Please find attached to my initial post (edited) : a printscreen and as detailed an explanation as as can.

If you can guide, I'm very interested! — and not the only one to complain about that, with Win. 7 & 8...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You do not 'circle' any entry
    Just place the mouse point alongside the first selection, hold down the left-buTTon and drag to the last selection. All selections first, in-between and last should now be highlighted.

Or is that not what you want to do ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Works for me in Windows 8.1 using 'details' view. Clicking on the blank space next a short file name highlights the whole line but still allows you to hold the left button down and drag to select multiple files. If you click on any part of the actual file name it starts to drag that file, so just make sure you don't click on any of the file name text.

The only change I made to the default explorer settings was to show the 'details' view in all folders. Also, I don't have any check boxes next to file names in my Windows 8.1 explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. .
    Or at least, is there a way to deactivate the "full column WIDTH" highlighting *, whenever the mouse cursor is placed somewhere on that column and next to or even far from a file name? (the "Name" column, most usually)
    [ * Note · I'm not talking about "full row select": even worse, but I've already deactivated that. ]

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Or is that not what you want to do ?
    No, (above) that's it: you got it right.

But now:

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You do not 'circle' any entry

As you know, Windows XP lasted long (before lousy Vista came out). So, I and many people got used to (more or less) "circling" (in fact drawing a "virtual" rectangle) around items, to select them,

and above all, they got used to: NOT having to place the mouse pointer very precisely or anywhere special, to begin "circling" (= to select several items).

The only spots or about, not to place the pointer on, were... precisely on a file name, and... outside the folder window, OK...

In other words, it was more... free and simple.

Of course, when using a PC once a week and/or to surf the Web only or almost, it's only a detail. But, when manipulating, copying and moving large AMOUNTS of files all the time, even just a little less simple'n'easy... becomes an annoyance...

... that "managed" to make Win. 7 explorer (and on) less productive... A regression.

Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    Clicking on the blank space next a short file name highlights the whole line but still allows you to hold the left button down and drag to select multiple files.
    Right, it works. And in fact, it's even possible to "circle" a bunch of files, still... BUT not as clearly as with Windows XP: not only the cursor is less precise, since it now displays a hand instead of an arrow, but there are more "chances" to move something you didn't want to move...

It happens to me to many times (and no to me only). Again, it only becomes an annoyance when manipulating lots of files — especially in a hurry.

Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    I don't have any check boxes next to file names in my Windows 8.1 explorer.

May be not activated by default with 8.1, but it was, with 8 (or at least the 8 version we got, when buying a new PC...). Anyway and at least, that's easy to get rid of.

Quote Quote  
  7. Windows Explorer is useless. The simplest option may be to stop using it. In my opinion, xplorer²_lite is infinitely better. It's dual paned, making it similar to having two Explorer windows open side by side, but each pane can be tabbed, just like browser tabs, and each tab can be configured independently.... different columns, different views etc.... and the entire configuration can be saved so it'll open just how you like it each time, or it can save the state it was in for next time. I much prefer the former myself. It gives me a "clean start" each time I open the program, but as it's tabbed it can effectively open to all your favourite locations at the same time anyway.

As a picture is worth a thousand words:
    Dual explorer panes, each with four tabs set to different locations. Tree view can be enabled also, down the left side as it is for Windows Explorer, but I disable it as generally all it does is take up space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xplorer2.gif
Views:	301
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	34322

I can't vouch for it's behaviour running on Win7. I've used it on Win7 and don't recall any problems, but at the moment I'm still running XP. xplorer² has it's own options for things like disabling full row selection and hover selection etc. Win7 itself possibly has a similar option buried somewhere, which sounds like what you need. I can't remember as about the only time I use Windows Explorer is to install xplorer2_lite so I never have to use Windows Explorer again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Could your problem be single click selection is enabled rather than double click selection?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10117-single-click-double-click-open-item.html
    I kind of remember single click making it hard to select multiple items and being generally frustrating to use. I think "single click" and "hover selection" go hand in hand.
    Quote Quote  
  9. .
    @ hello_hello

Thank you!

I will try it... of course!

About the single click: you're right, but, as I'm TRYING to help quite a few people, I know I'll never convince them to switch to single click.
    Therefore, I wished to be able to modify Win. 7 — AND 8.x: same annoyance —, including via their registry: whatever solution that would work...

I remember (too vaguely for now) trying some alternative dual window explorers, but forgot their names because:

— in fact — they wouldn't let me select as simply as Win. XP either: they too were (more or less) "affected" by the absurd new explorer features.

Quote Quote  
  10. .
    So:

I don't remember if "xplorer²_lite" is among the series (!) of alternative explorers I tried under Win. 8, ~three years ago, but I think so.

Anyway, I gave it a (new) try... It doesn't solve the problem: under Win. 7, even after "full row select" deactivation both in Windows and "xplorer²_lite" settings:

the annoying "automatic full column width select" still occurs. "xplorer²_lite" depends on Win. explorer main display settings, and that's it.

For now and to test another use of Windows explorer, I switched to double click and, in the registry, set "mouse hover time" to "60000" (instead of "150" or "400", default value) = one minute, before a file or folder name gets automatically selected in (a little) darker blue. And before that: very light blue,

which means that I'm now able to place the pointer even right after the last character of a file name: I'm not forced to place it on the next column — which requires resizing the explorer (folders) windows all the time, before being able to select anything comfortably = without walking on eggs.

But it's still less handy than Win. XP explorer, one minute before autoselection of files and folders meaning that I can't switch back to single click mode...

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
    "MouseHoverTime"="60000"

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bulgom View Post
    Of course, when using a PC once a week and/or to surf the Web only or almost, it's only a detail. But, when manipulating, copying and moving large AMOUNTS of files all the time, even just a little less simple'n'easy... becomes an annoyance...
    Maybe you should take a look at the Total Commander file manager ?
    Really the essential tool for mass copying/moving/renaming files.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 5th Nov 2015 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
  12. .
    Thank you!
    I will.
    Quote Quote