VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

For my project im currently at a stand still every thing is done exept for one otherthing.

i want to use this disney intro : https://youtu.be/Zr-Yltl9vHE

Video editing no problem here but audio editing is.

what i want is to get rid of the bgm (music) and only keep the sound effects.
    When the the music is gone i will input my own music. No problem with that.

i have the audio file in 5.1 so i can even make use of different sound channels.

the file is in uncompressed wav 24 bit

i have adobe audition cs6 to work with.
    any one an idea on how to do this or with other programs?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Audacity most times, but if you have a multi-channel audio track, they should all display on your editor screen.
    Just put silence or your new audio in place of the music channel.
    But if the music is mixed across all channels including the sound effects channels, near impossible to edit it out.

But someone here that uses Audition may have better advice.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by quatro View Post
    i have the audio file in 5.1 so i can even make use of different sound channels.
    Having 5.1 audio does not mean certain sounds only come through certain channels.....as a matter of fact I'd venture to say at 99% of the time it NEVER happens that way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by quatro View Post
    Having 5.1 audio does not mean certain sounds only come through certain channels.....as a matter of fact I'd venture to say at 99% of the time it NEVER happens that way.
    It's wasn't ment like that when i said that i have 5.1 sound.....
    I just ment that various sounds will go through different channels like as you said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In practical theatrical release films, dialog is generally centred music will be spread across the front L and R and maybe a bit of ambience of the music on the rear speakers. Same for FX with a very occasional 'spot' fx directed to a specific speaker. So what does this means for what you want to do, is just about impossible. Often in some distributions that have usual language requirements an M&E track will be supplied ie music and effects mixed together as a stereo pair. You might be able to eliminate the dialog with centre cut in Audition.

Your best bet is to demux the 5.1 track into 5 wave files and listen to them...

You may want to read this as background to your task.
    http://www2.grammy.com/pdfs/recording_academy/producers_and_engineers/5_1_rec.pdf
    Last edited by netmask56; 1st Nov 2015 at 20:57.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The article that you referenced seems to disagree with your assessment: pgs. 4-1, 4-2 describe how modern titles have moved away from such simplistic/formulaic mixes.
    If this is revealed to be true (at least for the titles the OP is working with), un-mixing becomes a MUCH more complicated proposition, to the point where it may be considered impossible.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it 20 years since I last mixed a feature film and that was the standard approach - certainly all the elements were on separate tracks of a 24 track machine plus MagnaTechs etc. Unpicking a commercially available soundtrack is another matter especially if any matrixing is involved. On music tracks we used to put the vocal track through a shuffle circuit that made it almost impossible to remove to get to the backing track for amateur karaoke aficionados - mean times!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, the OP's not even going to have stems available, much less a 24+ track master.

For the amount of time being wasted trying to unmix a mixed M & E soundtrack, it would be as easy, if not easier - and much less prone to copyright infringement - if you just created/recreated the SFX from scratch.

Scott
    Quote Quote