VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the MKVMerge guide by Bunkus in front of me.

But the program is saying I haven't got the split defined correctly.

Also the difference between duration and timecode has me confused. How does duration differ from timecode.

In the box I have selected
    split at duration
    the duration is defined as 01:34:44:00
    Max number of files 2
    and no Link box checked.

It keeps telling me that the format of the split time code duration is invalid. I can't see where my error is.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I have the MKVMerge guide by Bunkus in front of me.

But the program is saying I haven't got the split defined correctly.

Also the difference between duration and timecode has me confused. How does duration differ from timecode.

In the box I have selected
    split at duration
    the duration is defined as 01:34:44:00
    Max number of files 2
    and no Link box checked.

It keeps telling me that the format of the split time code duration is invalid. I can't see where my error is.
    It tells you in the documentation; The notation is HH:MM:SS.ms . Notice the period at the last entry before ms, not a colon. You should have 01:34:44.00

split by duration means after every interval, it will produce a new file.
    e.g --split duration:00:60:00.000 means it will try to split after every hour. If you have a 4 hour long source, you should get 4 pieces

split by timecode means you provide the list of times that it will try to split at
    eg. --split timecodes:00:45:00.000,01:20:00.250 means it will split at 45 minutes , and 1 hour 20 minutes, 250ms. So you should get 3 pieces

You can only split at keyframes, so the "cuts" are not always accurate depending on the source file characteristics
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for prompt reply.

That's pretty subtle. Time for a 'margin note' on my part.

As to key frame the goal with the split is at a fade to black act break. I'll report back any success.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A little experimentation was needed with the time. I must have found the keyframe.
    The split looks ok.

Explanation of 'duration' was very helpful.
    Quote Quote