VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Besides handbrake,is there ant FREE or paid Program that can Convert and compressed the file to half it's size?

Love handbrake but it ONLY have 2 containers MP4 and MKV..that sucks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Did you ever search the All In One Video Converters section of the download archive? (counting 14 of the types "Free software" or "Freeware", note the blue color)

Did you ever read any thread in this forum before asking? Or do you just expect us to present pre-chewed search results ("puréed for denture users")?

Do you even understand what you want? Half the size ... what kind of challenge is that while you don't care about quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post

Do you even understand what you want? Half the size ... what kind of challenge is that while you don't care about quality loss?
    If you have to ask me that,then you probably have NOT use Handbrake,and should NOT answer my post.Sounds like you have a "bug" up your ass,calm down dude
    Quote Quote  
  4. Whether or not anyone has used Handbrake in immaterial. LigH.de's point is still valid. Had you done even a basic search of the software available on this site you wouldn't have had to open this thread. There are many programs that can do as you want.
    Last edited by manono; 28th Oct 2015 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The question is kind of immature in a sense that there is no specification of format you want your video to put into, or what device you are targeting. Not mentioning what the original video is. So I'd update on that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would help if you'd mentioned what you're converting from, what you want to convert to and how much effort you're willing to put into it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    It would help if you'd mentioned what you're converting from, what you want to convert to and how much effort you're willing to put into it.
    Well,it could be in many types of format or container. Most files are from Torrents download, could be a SD,HDTV,XVID,H264 and so on.

Just want a substitute for a Program,that can reduce the Original source file size and have more Output options,like, MP4.KKV,Avi..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go back to handbrake 9.3.0 if you want avi.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVI is antiquated, that's why it was removed from Handbrake...

That still leaves the question of what the objective is.

You want to reduce the size of the file, that's quite simple to do, but there are different ways of doing it and some methods are better than others. The best methods always take more work...

One would assume you have a reason for needing multiple output options... what is that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    AVI is antiquated, that's why it was removed from Handbrake...

That still leaves the question of what the objective is.

You want to reduce the size of the file, that's quite simple to do, but there are different ways of doing it and some methods are better than others. The best methods always take more work...

One would assume you have a reason for needing multiple output options... what is that?

For Streaming to my Samsung Smart TV,but again, if I set up PLEX, we won't even have this discussion - but I am not doing that.

Anyway, that is the Objective,if u have to ask.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which model?

So the objective is the get the file as small as possible in a state that can be streamed to your TV?

Things to consider are, audio codec and encoder, resolution of the file final file (1080p, 720p), frame rate of the final file (if made from interlaced content), noise filtering of the video, the video codec and encoder, encoding settings and possibly subtitle codec as well as container.

All depending on how much work you actually want to put in...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is always Megui, but it's not as simple as handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    By the way, you are right, I never used Handbrake, because I discovered AviSynth based converters earlier. I always saw Handbrake only as the last chance for users of other OS's where AviSynth is not available, e.g. Mac OSX, knowing that ffmpeg based converters are less flexible.

Nevertheless, you got enough hints where to find something better. Despite confessing that you want to use it for pirated moviez.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I like xmedia recode. Not as simple as handbrake though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use ffmpeg with a GUI - then you can convert from almost anything to almost anything. It can handle both video, audio and subtitles - it can mux and demux to most formats and features a lot of filters like audio equalizer, color adjustments, logo overlay, logo removal and so on. You could try to use my GUI named FFQueue. It might seem a bit overwhelming because of the featureset, but if you get the hang of it you got a powerfull converter.
    I'm the developer behind FFQueue. My posts might reflect this! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
  16. What is the problem with HandBrake and/or mp4/mkv?
    1. Can HandBrake cut any video's size in half? Yes
    2. Can you stream mp4 and mkv to Samsung TV? Yes

Your problem is not HandBrake (which in terms of usability is one of the simpler softwares), your problem is that you don't have any clue about how to use it to achieve your goal.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    Besides handbrake,is there ant FREE or paid Program that can Convert and compressed the file to half it's size?
    Off the top of head: Handbrake, VidCoder, XviD4PSP, MeGUI, AutoGK, or command-like conders FFMpeg, x264, XviD, etc. The best are those which accepts AviSynth scripts.

Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    Love handbrake but it ONLY have 2 containers MP4 and MKV..that sucks
    Why do you think "that sucks"? There's a reason why Handbrake uses MP4 and MKV containers over AVI. I quickly changed from AVI (archaic) to MKV, just after first two or three videos I have encoded. Could you explain the reason why these containers suck?

PS. And I second to the LigH.de’s first response! It would merely take you a few minutes to list all major AllInOne video encoders and then a little longer to read what they can do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As per your objective, HandBrake is more than capable, as mentioned. If you don't like HandBrake as a software tool, that's fine, you can do searches, also as mentioned.

But there's no need to ditch HandBrake for any inability, and it doesn't "suck" because it only does MP4/MKV.

Yes, HandBrake could do more, like output raw streams, or support AviSynth scripts, but, then again, it would defeat the purpose of it being simple, and again, still does not deter from your objective.

And, if you don't like MP4/MKV, then you can remux to other containers. But if you're looking for compression, then you would need video formats/codecs that are best suited for that, and would be best in an MP4/MKV due to it's decoding complexities, and with the low overhead of MP4/MKV, and both fully capable of being streamed, also as mentioned.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Again ... First of all, it would be useful to know the real goal. The better you can explain it, the better you will understand it to yourself already.

"Compress to half the size" is no challenge, every converter supporting both source and target formats can achieve that – correctly used.

"Compress to half the size while still looking good" is indeed a challenge, though. For both the converting program and the user. The harder the challenge, the more important is preparation. Regarding video compression, it means also the user understanding content and container formats, as well as constraints given by playback devices. Understanding technical basics helps avoiding a demand of miracles.

Now, you specifically mentioned a Samsung Smart TV. If we know in addition which model exactly, we could even discover recommendable formats (most probably AVC video compatible to DVB-S2, maybe in MP4 or M2TS; AVI is indeed obsolete here).
    Quote Quote