VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I had times when my DVD drive reads my disc and it generated loud noise. I forget exactly how it happened but I found the disc very hot, like being heated up, after ejecting it out from the drive. And I gave up the drive.

I also had times with trying different DVD encrypter program that said to bypass DVD protection (but none of them works or I am not good enough with computer) . I remember some of them returned with message like ''your disc is altered...'' or ''your disc is modified'' or ''your disc is encrypted''

I forget the exact terms.

My question is
    1. In either case, could my disc be altered anyway or hurt?
    2. Is DVD disc (pressed or DVD-R) designed to hold data over time and endure discipline??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvds are pressed. you will need to use a more up to date decryption program such as dvdfab.
    although depending on how new the movie is the free version of dvdfab may not work.
    your disc sounds like it might be warped.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The laser and other rotating parts don't touch the disc unless the player or disc is badly damaged. Then you will usually see circular scratches.

If the disc already has damage, the drive will try to re-read the disc several times before giving up.
    That can warm up the disc from the heat of the laser, and the drive motor can also heat it up. But that's not likely to cause any disc damage.

How long a DVD lasts is a whole other discussion. The factory stamped discs should last quite a bit longer than burned discs.
    But with either disc, quality makes a big difference, especially with burned discs.
    Some cheap DVD discs may only last a very short time before they have playback problems.

Most all commercial pressed discs have encryption. We have several decryption programs listed in our 'Tools' section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Avoid slot-load or pinch-load players like this one.
    http://gpx.com/d202b.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The laser and other rotating parts don't touch the disc unless the player or disc is badly damaged. Then you will usually see circular scratches.

If the disc already has damage, the drive will try to re-read the disc several times before giving up.
    That can warm up the disc from the heat of the laser, and the drive motor can also heat it up. But that's not likely to cause any disc damage.

How long a DVD lasts is a whole other discussion. The factory stamped discs should last quite a bit longer than burned discs.
    But with either disc, quality makes a big difference, especially with burned discs.
    Some cheap DVD discs may only last a very short time before they have playback problems.

Most all commercial pressed discs have encryption. We have several decryption programs listed in our 'Tools' section.

Hi, thank you and other's comment

I have a few more questions hope it's not too dummy

1. If laser or dvd player does not touch the disc, how can we write files to a blank disc ??

2. During / After the decryption process, would the original disc be altered or changed in any way? Or if the program creates temporary space on hard drives and put the decrypted version there while keeping the original disc *original*??

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    do you mean avoiding drive without eject button??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    do you mean avoiding drive without eject button??
    Avoid the ones that load a disc like a car stereo loads a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    1. If laser or dvd player does not touch the disc, how can we write files to a blank disc ??
    A laser shines through the air gap and protective plastic layer and "burns" the data onto the internal recording layer.

2. During / After the decryption process, would the original disc be altered or changed in any way?
    No. Unless the drive is defective and the read head gouges scratches onto the surface. Or a defect in the disc causes it to fly apart while spinning. Both of these are very rare usually very obvious.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Oct 2015 at 07:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get dvd's from the library. They have 'stickers' to identify them, some older ones have wire threads under a clear dvd sized 'like scotch tape' to hold the wires. In both computer drive & dvd player, the high speed rotation of some of them causes them to 'jump' and wobble around causing major scratches on the disks. Aparrently, they are enough out of balance that this happens. This does (rarely, tho) happen to disks without anything attached/stuck on. Bad ones get through QC.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A laser shines through the air gap and protective plastic layer and "burns" the data onto the internal recording layer.

2. During / After the decryption process, would the original disc be altered or changed in any way?
    No. Unless the drive is defective and the read head gouges scratches onto the surface. Or a defect in the disc causes it to fly apart while spinning. Both of these are very rare usually very obvious.
    In fact I have tried MANY MANY (no lie ) trial or free version ( of those applications that claim to decrypt (btw, how to spell??) DVD discs but I do not succeed in getting my copy-protected disc decrypted ......

what is the reason? Only the paid version would work or if my disc (beautiful discs with beauftiful cover, original and authentic) has employed very new way of protecting the disc itself??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I get dvd's from the library. They have 'stickers' to identify them, some older ones have wire threads under a clear dvd sized 'like scotch tape' to hold the wires. In both computer drive & dvd player, the high speed rotation of some of them causes them to 'jump' and wobble around causing major scratches on the disks. Aparrently, they are enough out of balance that this happens. This does (rarely, tho) happen to disks without anything attached/stuck on. Bad ones get through QC.

-c-

Hi, my disc is not scratched, still looks perfect, is it likely to be damaged or rotted?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Any recommendation on brands of DVD writer (no blue-ray is needed) ?? Or if any cheap of them are just good enough ??
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the name brand DVD writers perform about the same in my opinion, Samsung, Asus, LiteOn, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Hi, my disc is not scratched, still looks perfect, is it likely to be damaged or rotted?
    Did the disk work before? I've run across 'brand new' dvd's that did not work, period, AT ALL, on neither dvd player or computer. QC issues again.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

-c-

could be a manufacturing defect
    Quote Quote