VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've joined up and posted this here as "Contact us" leads to a page saying "You should not be here!"!

This site has a seemingly-fixed information page (https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-bdp-s7200/12394) about changing the DVD region lock on the Sony BDP-S7200 blu-ray player, which is easily accessible directly from a search engine (and is how I came across it). The page appears to be without the facility for public comments (or at least its comments link opened a page saying "THIS IS NOT A FORUM! NO QUESTIONS! DO NOT LEAVE REVIEWS!"! for me).

The page contains incorrect information though, which could easily lead to people wasting their money buying both the player and the additional remote. It gives quite long instructions for making the player region-free, and says "Successfully tested with a OneForAll URC 7960 remote on a European Sony BDP-S7200 model."

I don't know if this was ever possible (or a subsequent software update now prevents it perhaps), but a search across the internet will reveal that all of these European players (that are new and marketed at least) are effectively fixed-region models and unchangeable via codes. I actually bought this very remote control to do it, but it failed to work because it is apparently Sony's (updated?) policy to make their European players Region 2 and B only - for both blu-ray AND DVD.

Sony's daft policy simply means that people like me are stuck with a number of Region 1 only American entertainment DVDs (of which there are many) they can only watch on their computer using certain software. It doesn't make any sense at all when Region 2 copies were simply never made. There are loads of DVDs round like that, and not everything is converted to blu-ray either, or likely ever will be - and even blu-rays can be released on a single region only. It's just denying people from accessing creative product. Honestly, why do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's okey to post a comment that the hack doesn't work and warn other users.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacksform.php?DVDname=Sony+BDP-S7200
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's okey to post a comment that the hack doesn't work and warn other users.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacksform.php?DVDname=Sony+BDP-S7200
    Like I say, that link says,

"THIS IS NOT A FORUM!
    NO QUESTIONS!
    DO NOT LEAVE REVIEWS!"

It's all it does for me!

To be honest, I think you have a responsibility to either take the page down, or at least properly ammend it.

It's not offering someone's opinion - it's false information presented as a vetted instruction page. There is potentially a huge amount of wasted time and money over this. I tried the very-long and fiddly code-entry sequence many times before finding online that it's simply not possible - ie spent a couple of hours - and I actually bought 2 different remote controls to do it too. The whole package of player and remote is approaching £200. I personally wouldn't have saved the player money by not seeing this page, but I would have saved around £20 on remotes and all the time I wasted. You could just give people a break and either change it or just take it down.

I'm actually reading, via connected reviews here, that it's been discussed a few times that Sony has become like this too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    No you sort it out.

It's actually your responsibility not to mislead people and waste their money.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.

This list is based from user reports and we have not verified or tested any region codes. Use them at your own risk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For a new member you sure have a opinion. Maybe you will not be a member here for much longer if you carry on like this.

The 'guide' to this hack was uploaded some 12+ months ago. It is not un-reasonable to think that any manufacturer has upgraded their firmware in this time.

In fact this guide looks like a fudge. Some of the text refers to another model so it appears that it worked way back when.

Get off your high horse and properly read the T&C's of this section before mouthing off.

FYI Practically ALL Blu Ray manufacturers hard-wire their players for one zone. Sony are no different in this regard. If you see a 'Zone Free' player (and they are available) they have been modified outside the factory. So you also buy these at your own risk as these mods invalidate the manufacturers guarantee.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh my.
    Quote Quote