VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm using External Encoders with VirtualDub after installing all necessary apps, also in order to open MP4 files.

My setup for external encoders in VD in order to open, edit and re-encode MP4 files are like this:
    Video encoder: x264
    Audio encoder: neroaac 192kbs
    Multiplexer: MP4Box

After advices on this forum, my exact video encoder command line settings for an output of 700 bitrate are like this, and fully work:

--crf 19 --vbv-bufsize 900 --vbv-maxrate 700 --level 3.1 --keyint 30 --tune film --min-keyint 1 --b-pyramid none --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --no-fast-pskip --weightp 0 --bframes 3 --slices 4 --sar 1:1 --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -

My problem:
    I have a video with 854x480 original size, and after editing I want to export it with a 848x480 resolution.

If I change the "--input-res %(width)x%(height)" above into "--input -res 848x480", I only get a distorted unusable video after export. So I guess my command is wrong. A Tutorial says I can change the width only, the heigth will be kept, but I have no idea how to input such a command. What is the right command to set a different size?

Thanks for any help
    XenonS
    Last edited by XenonS; 26th Oct 2015 at 08:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Resize in virtualdub instead of the encoder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, thanks Baldrick, it's possible indeed
    It's a filter, and I searched it in vain in the menu...

Greets,
    XenonS
    Quote Quote  
  4. VirtualDub -> Video -> Filters... -> Add -> Resize
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can load a script, with your settings, instead.

Procedures at the video level, which really have nothing to do with encoding, like resizing, changing frame rates, cropping, filtering (deblocking, noise removal, etc), etc, IMO should be outside the scope of an encoder, and best left to a script, editor, etc, depending. Even if the encoder does indeed offer such features, they're likely there as a convenience, and likely would be inferior in comparison to doing it with an application best suited for it.

I personally just leave encoders be encoders with settings only for encoding: quality, bitrate, buffers, key frames, partitions, compression, etc., and only after I set up video's parameters beforehand.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you both, Jagabo and PuzZLeR to respond and elaborate important points.
    It all started when I was working on 2 parts of a video, an opening sequence where I added text with the VSDC Free Video Editor tool which has the ideal interface for me working fast and efficiently. But this software has one major quirck: It cannot handle videos with 854x480 in size without reducing it to 848x480 or 856x480. So I had my main video part in a Width of 854 and the preamble to add at 848.

With the Resize filter of VirtualDub (thank you jagabo!), I could easily transform the little preamble of my video in 854, so I didn't need to re-encode the main thing and I could join with MyMP4BoxGui the 2 pieces for an excellent result without quality loss.

@PuzZLeR,
    thanks to point for me the important steps that can be done without re-encoding. This is indeed important to know. But first I have to get familiar with scripts and AviSynth.

Greetings,
    XenonS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good to see you on your way.
    Originally Posted by XenonS View Post
    @PuzZLeR,
    thanks to point for me the important steps that can be done without re-encoding. This is indeed important to know. But first I have to get familiar with scripts and AviSynth.
    Yes, AviSynth can look daunting at first, but it's really very easy once you set up your first "Hello World" type of script. (It's a coding expression to mean that you got your very simple, but VERY FIRST, program running.)

Having said that, when you have a moment, I encourage you to take a little time to set up a small and tiny script. The benefits are countless afterwards - and VirtualDub fully accepts scripts.

Here's a good easy start if you want to venture for when you're ready.

Download and install AviSynth.
    Find a small AVI file to start with.
    Open a text file in notepad, but rename the extention to *.avs. (Or, if you installed AviSynth, it should be in your shell settings ready in right-click "New" for a new file.)
    Type the following line, or type your correct path and avi's file name:
    AviSource("C:\\your avi file.avi")
    Save and exit.
    Drag that file into VirtualDub. Do you see your video as you scrub through? Then congratulations, you're on your way.

Then you'll learn how to open all kinds of files, like MP4, MPEG-2, etc, and will be adding filters in the lines below etc. Most of my settings are ready to go, I just copy and paste whenever I need anything now.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote