VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am editing a music video in Sony Vegas 11 however the subject in the video has a tag on the shoulder of his shirt. I have tried using the cropping event feature in Sony Vegas and am not too familiar with how to do masking in order to delete the tag from the video. But I still can not remove it. I was wondering whether anyone can help with suggesting a plugin or free removal tool that I can use that can pinpoint where an object is in a video and just delete it? This problem has me stumped with completing my the project for days now.

Also, I have tried Borisfx...Can't understand how to use it...so, any other suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You are absolutely using the correct tools, you just aren't proficient with them yet. Would you expect to play a Beethoven Sonata perfectly the first time you sat at a piano? This isn't as complicated as that. Practice and patience.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your answer DOESN"t help at all...INfact, I don't need snotty responses. If you can't answer with a Software that I can use AND understand? THen PLEASE DON"T answer at all!!!

If I understood how to use Borisfx...I would continue using it!!! EVERYONE DOESN"T learn at the same pace!!! So save your snotty attitude!!! No one needs it here!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kjljlh View Post
    Your answer DOESN"t help at all...INfact, I don't need snotty responses. If you can't answer with a Software that I can use AND understand? THen PLEASE DON"T answer at all!!!

If I understood how to use Borisfx...I would continue using it!!! EVERYONE DOESN"T learn at the same pace!!! So save your snotty attitude!!! No one needs it here!!!
    Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kjljlh View Post
    the subject in the video has a tag on the shoulder of his shirt.
    What does this mean exactly? Is it a flat tag , like some logo, part of the shirt? Or it's it a tag like a department store tag affixed to the shoulder, that bounces around ? Or something else ?

What are the shots like that have the tag visible? Does the subject move around ? how ? etc...

I was wondering whether anyone can help with suggesting a plugin or free removal tool that I can use that can pinpoint where an object is in a video and just delete it?
    There aren't any 1 click plugins to do this sort of thing. It involves at least some manual work and masking (rotoscoping). Did you look at any basic sony vegas masking tutorials on youtube ? That's where you need to start first

Masking is only part of the process - when you "remove" something, you need to replace it with "something". Otherwise it's just black over the area and won't "match". Or did you want to cover the tag up with some "censor" or some ugly block? So this usually involves some compositing and layers if you want it to look decent. Depending on the shot, often this is the more difficult part than the basic rotoscoping

It's usually done with some assisted motion tracking in other programs like after effects or nuke. It's possible in vegas, it just harder to do and takes more work there
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello There

And thank you for your useful reply. Yes, it's a store tag from the shirt that the subject forgot to remove. I am going to attempt to try using masking...and replace it with maybe the background of the video. Don't know if it's going to work but will try. I know Sony Vegas is terrible with editing the nitty gritty stuff and doesn't have a removal tool on it's own. I was under the impression that there maybe was a plugin or so...to use that could do the job quicker without having to mask. I appreciate your help sincerely.

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you just reshoot the video
    or put a comment marker in about the tag, make a funny punch line about it
    and it will get more youtube hits, than one with the tag removed, and a lot less work involved
    even their fans will get a kick out of it

put the comment right on top the video with a arrow pointed at the tag

"Brand new shirt for this gig and Jimmy forgot to remove the store tag"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why all the fuss over a tag? Why not leave it in, as many viewers may not notice (if they're paying attention to the main subjects & themes), nor might they care.
    Plus, in some circles, that's a status symbol.

Masking is a skill that takes some getting up to speed with, but it can really only be done individually & hands-on. So even tutorials would only take you so far without getting your "hands dirty".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. The reason why it has to be removed is because the video Only features the singer singing...and shot face and neck. Meaning the rest of the body is not showing. So it;s very, very noticeable....And way too hard to miss. It's actually truly distracting and takes away the meaning of the song and the video. Which is why , as tedious as it sounds.....having the tag on the shirt still showing...does cause major, major distraction to the video and has to be removed. If it weren't shot so close up...then it wouldn't be such a big deal. But yeah, when a video only is a face and neck shot video...having a store tag hanging on the shoulder on the neck will be hard to miss.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If it's so "obvious" it begs the question - why didn't the videographer catch the tag during shooting?

Is it possible to "zoom" in on some of the shots (ie. scale them up in vegas), to reduce the amount of roto work ? (ie. do some creative editing. There are many creative editing techniques you might use - but it's going to depend on the "type" or genre of video)

Funny comment about "status symbol" - some early rap videos had people with clothing tags on hats, shirts etc...and it really was a "fashionable" thing to do - but I guess you don't have a rap video hahaha
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is the tag a single color? You may be able to 90% of the way there using a simple key. Please post a still or short clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would go with PDR's "creative editing" idea. Much easier and cleaner results if you can get away with it.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote