VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am completely new to ripping videos from DVD and HandBrake. I want to rip some videos from DVD to mp4 format. So I used HandBrake to rip the video from DVD and the video output was successfully coverted to mp4. But the video size is 720 x 466 instead of the 1280 x 720 format. I used the default settings in Handbrake.

What settings do I need to change in HandBrake to convert the original DVD 720 x 480 video size to 1280 x 720 video size?

Quote Quote  
  2. DVDs are encoded at 720x480 or 720.576. Handbrake never increases the frame size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVDs are encoded at 720x480 or 720.576. Handbrake never increases the frame size.
    I see, learning something there. What software should I use next to convert the 720 x 466 video to a 1280 x 720 video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Vidcoder. A frontend for HandBrake.
    Do I need to uninstall HandBrake to use Vidcoder? Can both Vidcoder and HandBrake co-exists?

One problem is, according to the developer's website, Vidcoder does not defeat CSS encryption so I would still need to use HandBrake with libdvdcss-2.dll.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How about just sticking to HandBrake and use another software to convert the 720x480 video to 1280x720 video?

What video conversion software would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why does it have to be 1280x720? It's not as if you're actually creating a hi-def video from a standard-def source. It's not going to look any better than it does on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wanted a "full size" video upon opening
    Quote Quote  
  8. Tried this: http://www.videotovideo.org/

100% free software and no malware embedded

Converts 720x480 to 1280x720 but:

- output video is not 16:9 even though "16:9" is selected
    - quality is worse than original video from HandBrake

Tried both HandBrake's loose and strict outputs, both has the above 2 issues.

Verdict: VideoToVideo not a keeper
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shenton View Post
    I wanted a "full size" video upon opening
    Full size??? No black borders???
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's not just me then? I was completely baffled by his response and decided not to say anything more.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just zoom in your video player. FULL SCREEN.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by shenton View Post
    I'd consider re-thinking that. Most hardware players upscale to fullscreen by default (including any black bars that might be required, of course), and for software players that don't have that option, fullscreen mode is only one mouse click away. MPC-HC has an option to launch files in fullscreen mode. I can't imagine it'd be a good idea though, unless you're opening them fullscreen on a monitor that's only used for watching video, otherwise it seems like a recipe for annoyance to me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I suspect your player isn't respecting aspect ratio flags. Turning off anamorphic encoding in Handbrake should take care of that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's not just me then? I was completely baffled by his response and decided not to say anything more.

Black borders does not matter. I am viewing the videos on a laptop.

There was a reason why I included that YouTube 1280x720 in the screenshots. Those 1280x720 videos, when you open the video, it fills up the entire screen, with or without black borders. That was what I meant when I say "full size".

The 720x480 video output that I get from HandBrake does not fill up the entire screen when I open the video, not unless the window is maximized.

I wanted to be able to create 1280x720 (16:9) videos just like those videos from YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I suspect your player isn't respecting aspect ratio flags. Turning off anamorphic encoding in Handbrake should take care of that.
    No difference, video output is still 720x480 when anamorphic is turned off in HandBrake.

I did wanted anamorphic 16:9 video.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    [EDIT] Had to read back posts several times to get what you're saying.

Too bad we have no detail info, no sample image or video, no MediaInfo on your original source. Could be your DVD isn't a full 16:9 video,but is maybe 1.66:1 with slight letterbox borders (and maybe that's why Handbrake is giving you 720x466).

I'll echo a couple of others. We don't know what your original source really looks like, so I'll just let the others keep guessing.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 23rd Oct 2015 at 12:52.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by shenton View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I suspect your player isn't respecting aspect ratio flags. Turning off anamorphic encoding in Handbrake should take care of that.
    No difference, video output is still 720x480 when anamorphic is turned off in HandBrake.
    Then you did something wrong. Handbrake clearly sees that your source is 16:9. When you turn off anamorphic encoding it should have given you about 720x404 (a little less since it's cropping black borders).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post

I did wanted anamorphic 16:9 video.
    Are you saying you do want anamorphic, or you do not want anamorphic? EVen if you get 1280x720, that format is already square-pixel 16:9, not anamorphic. Maybe a typo in your last post?
    I'm a newbie in videos, let's leave the anamorphic aside, I want a 1280x720 video.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Then you did something wrong. Handbrake clearly sees that your source is 16:9. When you turn off anamorphic encoding it should have given you about 720x404 (a little less since it's cropping black borders).

I used the default Handbrake settings. Only tweak the anamorphic drop down because I'm not getting a 1280x720 output.

In any case, you are talking about an output of 720x404, that's not what I want, I want an output of 1280x720.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by shenton View Post
    There was a reason why I included that YouTube 1280x720 in the screenshots. Those 1280x720 videos, when you open the video, it fills up the entire screen, with or without black borders. That was what I meant when I say "full size".
    Doesn't the definition of "full size" change according to the resolution of the monitor? A 720p video might open "full size" on a monitor with a resolution of 720p or lower, but it won't if the resolution is higher. What happens if you switch to a higher resolution monitor at some stage?
    I don't understand the need for upscaling myself when you can usually configure a player to run in fullscreen mode by clicking on the video in some way after it opens, or for the player to open in fullscreen mode automatically, and I don't mean maximising the player window, I mean running the video fullscreen without the player window. Or you could configure the player, or the shortcut you use to open it, so the player automatically opens in a maximised state, if you're into that sort of thing. Of all the available options for filling the screen, upscaling and encoding additional picture without any increase in picture detail, seems the least practical to me.
    What media player are you using? If it's not displaying the video with a 16:9 aspect ratio it's probably the players fault, but the aspect ratio shouldn't change when the video is upscaled to fill the screen, just the size of the picture.
    MPC-HC can tell you the exact aspect ratio using the File/Properties menu. VLC probably does something similar. The first aspect ratio is the one being used to display the video without upscaling. It's not always exactly the same as the second aspect ratio as the resizing has to be rounded to whole pixel dimensions.

Name:  aspect.gif
Views: 4329
Size:  4.6 KB

The 720x480 video output that I get from HandBrake does not fill up the entire screen when I open the video, not unless the window is maximized.
    Looking at your Handbrake settings, it should be encoded with a 720x480 resolution (not including any cropping) and display with a resolution of 854x480 (16:9). If your monitor's resolution is greater than 854x480 it generally won't use any more screen real-estate until it's running in fullscreen mode or the player is maximised.

I wanted to be able to create 1280x720 (16:9) videos just like those videos from YouTube.
    Each to their own, I guess.....
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake won't upscale videos,use vidcoder to do that,it was already suggested.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by shenton View Post
    In any case, you are talking about an output of 720x404, that's not what I want, I want an output of 1280x720.
    Unless Handbrake's changed recently, it won't upscale, so you'll have to use something else (ie Vidcoder). For Handbrake the maximum width/height is the original width/height. By default (cropping aside) I think when anamorphic encoding is disabled, Vidcoder resizes 16:9 DVDs to 854x480 (NTSC) or 1024x576 (PAL) but I can't remember if it'll let you upscale further.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    We're just guessing. I make one more guess and bet that the DVD is encoded as 16:9 but the image itself isn't 16:9.

Interlaced DVD to 1280x720...I think I see what's coming. Do we ever get a break from this sort of thing?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Before I messed my computer up, do I need to uninstall Handbrake before I install VidCoder?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok, I'm going to install VidCoder without uninstalling Handbrake. I'll keep both on my computer.

Thank you all.
    Quote Quote  
  27. VidCoder works, I'm getting a 1280 width video:

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    1280x828? That's not 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  29. You're right. It's roughly the same aspect ratio as it's stored on the DVD (1.5:1) minus the cropping. So, VidCoder may work but you still have to know what you're doing. There's not really any point in setting aspect ratio flags when making Hi-Def encodes. And, with a DVD source I don't see the point in upscaling at all, even with that I wanted a "full size" video upon opening nonsense.
    Quote Quote