VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi There,

I have a media player which I'm using to watch streaming video in my TV set. The player has 2Gb of RAM and 8Gb of solid state memory.

The player has an option where one can select the Buffer size; from 512K to 20 Mb.

Can you advise me as to what the optimal size should be.

Many Thanks

Rahmosis
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a slower internet connection use a higher buffer size.

But just try different values and see if you notice any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should have mentioned that I am on an ADSL line with a speed of 4Mb.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would set the buffer size as high as possible as long as it doesn't cause a large delay when you start playing the video. Some devices don't start displaying the video until the read-ahead buffer is full. That will cause a long delay before the video is displayed. Other devices will start displaying the video right away and fill in the read-ahead buffer in the background, resulting in no or minimal delay. If you player does the former just set the video to the longest delay you can tolerate.

With 2 GB of RAM, allocating 20 Mb (20 MB?) to a read-ahead buffer shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many Thanks, I'll give it a try
    Quote Quote