VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In order to lighten a video, I went to Video > filters > colors > contrasts > + ,and got a good video which then previewed, and then closed the window. However, when I saved it on the original window, it had not accepted it; i.e. it was as dark as before.
    How can I actually save my lightened video?

My other question is, when I play my videos, the ID of the video, e.g. 5556.mov, shows for the first few seconds. How can I get rid of that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you choose a video codec? under Video and mpeg4 avc/x264 for example. You can't use Video Copy mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, I don't know what a Video codec is. Can you help?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A video codec is the video format of the file. To add filters, you have to re-encode the file.

Under 'Video Output' chose a codec from the list. 'Copy' is only for direct editing, not encoding.
    Most times you would want to use the same codec as the original video.

Select your filter, then preview, then click the 'Close' button. Then save the video.

When playing back the video, your video player is what is displaying the title for the first few seconds, AVIDemux didn't do that.
    Check the player settings to change that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I chose 3 different encoders, then clicked 'configure' - still no luck. I'm attaching an image - what do I do now?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	avimux-1.JPG
Views:	2288
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	34126
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I re-downloaded Avidemux (2-6 - 64 bits); I set the codec at h264 (ffinvidia); adjusted the filter; checked 'play filtered': and it played as I had set it - lightened.

However, as I tried to save it, I got the message 'cannot set up codec - Bit rate too low?' - I use VLC for videos - would the bit rate apply to the video and/or VLC? If so, can I fix that?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In desperation, I downloaded Avidemux-32 bits; went through the same filter procedure, using codec Mjpeg Encoder, and checking 'play filtered' - it worked, incl. sound, and I was able to save it!

However, I then intended to sharpen it with the Avidemux filter. I clicked open, and, instead of the VLC cone, it showed as a filmstrip (also .avi), and when I clicked it, I got a green field instead of the video. (Avidemux does open .mov videos - should I convert it - how?)
    Quote Quote  
  8. .
    Hi

"AviDemux", besides being excellent, is full of bugs (nevertheless, I couldn't live without it). You should download... several versions * — and, when one refuses to work or returns its (quite usual) "too short" warning, switch to another v°.

* Including the old 2.5.6 v° (32-bit, but as long as it works...), most recent one that belongs to the "2.5.x branch" (as opposed to the "2.6.x branch"; very similar interface but quite different softwares in fact).

SOME of my videos, though recent, can only be scrolled with 2.5.6. Versions 2.6.x display them, but won't let me use the cursor...

So, why despair... Launching another version is just one click away, and many times: simpler than studying the complex sub-options of a single software (or going nuts because the darn thing crashed AGAIN)...

The "codec (short for compressor - decompressor or coder - decoder)" is an essential software element, used by video editing and conversion interfaces, such as "AviDemux", "VirtualDub", "Sony Vegas" and so on.

It — or rather: they let the interface read, play the corresponding videos, and also, "translate" them (= convert them) to other video "formats", that are: other TYPES of video.

Autonomous editors (like "Avidemux") and players ("VLC" etc.) exploit their own codecs, not the ones you may install (or that are already installed) in Windows [ except "U-Mplayer", may be, that seems to exploit both, and more or less only?.. ]

Without the right codec for a certain type of video, no playing nor editing can be done. Instead, you get the typical green screen, sometimes a warning.

One codec is required by type of video, just like you understand + speak English because your brain contains the "codec"; in that case: rules, vocabulary, etc.; and just like you don't understand another language until you learn it. That's: the "format", again...

... so, note this: by displaying their extensions (always unhide all extensions, under Windows), Windows shows the actual format of many... "simple" files : .mp3, .jpg, .doc, .xls... OK...

... but NOT in the case of VIDEO files (more complex: composed of video + audio, & subtitles if not even more). The extension of VIDEO files is only an indication of their CONTAINER, not of their FORMAT.

Therefore, you should always distinguish clearly the expressions "file format" and "VIDEO format". Even some poorly programmed and translated video editing interfaces mix the two, sometimes...

Just drag'n'drop video files on "MediaInfo" (freeware), to read what formats (video + audio) they actually contain. "MediaInfo" also and usually displays what codec created the video. Or the blue "Avidemux" "I" (information) button (but summary).

"In conclusion", both in computer operating systems and in digital camcorders, cell phones included, the codec is the main — technical — creator of any video, and audio file (actually two codecs, since video + audio).

As you guessed, a green video screen means that the necessary codec is missing. Several softwares let you install the missing codec — simply in Windows — while "AviDemux" does not.

[ And that of course raised quite a few complaints or frustrations. So "AviDemux" is equipped with a function, which "serves" the video streams that it doesn't recognize natively, to its interface: the frame server "avsproxy_gui.exe" (check in its folder);

it requires the installation of another frame server: "AviSynth", freeware, and as long as the needed codec is installed in Windows. It sounds somewhat "advanced", but quite easy to run. File > Connect to avsproxy, once you've dropped the video file on the "avsproxy_gui" window.

I don't know if it can be trusted on long videos: when it crashes after 12 hours of recoding, "well" ... But OK on short ones, it seems / to be tested / depending on the PC, Windows, etc. ]

Among so many others, ".avi", .mp4", ".flv", ".mov", ".mkv"... are sometimes called FILE formats, OK; but: in any case, they are NOT video formats. They are just audiovisual CONTAINERS (which, in their turn, contain usually two "streams" or amounts of data, in fact two files: video, and audio).

Windows + other operating systems FOLDERS being containers, why did "they" have to invent some kind of "sub-container" (audiovisual files)? Open the "VIDEO_TS" folder of any DVD, you will understand at once the need for something more compact than this junk, ".VOB (Video OBject)" files being containers themselves...

"AviDemux" opens ".mov" files alright, sometimes upside down, "ok, but well"... (I don't like the ".mov" container: often problematic) — but: depending on what video + audio format are contained in ".mov" files, or whatever other container (just the same).

And BTW, "can any container file contain any video + audio formats"?
    No! (it would be too simple...).

About "5556.mov" showing for a few seconds, IF (?) you mean: on "VLC" (?), just modify its "OSD (on-screeen display)" settings.

Since you needed to recode:

(besides cutting, replacing the audio and a few very basic changes, the "copy" or "direct stream copy" mode hardly allows anything, even as simple as crossfade or fade to black, and brightness/contrast modification)

if you saved to "MJPEG" format, you should learn at least a little bit, on "lossy" and "lossless" video + audio codecs / formats.

The "MJPEG" codec, though handy (all frames are keyframes = you cut the result precisely where you want), is lossy and, since it produces heavy files (in megabytes), it usually forces the user to recode, to some "broadcasting" format, such as AVC H.264, which is lossy also.

In that case, eventhough "MJPEG" is not VERY lossy — depending on settings, though! see footnote —, you more or less waste some of the visual quality, not once only, but twice...

To avoid that, always save directly to the final format you want, knowing that "AVC H.264" is able to yield lightweight files — lossy, OK: all broaddcast formats are lossy —, but once only;

or, if impossible for any reason, save to "HuffYUV"; that is: lossless. Heavyweight but, at least, when you will recode to a final — lossy — format, it will cause one alteration only.

Originally Posted by rosmari View Post
    However, I then intended to sharpen it with the Avidemux filter. I clicked open, and, instead of the VLC cone, it showed as a filmstrip (also .avi), and when I clicked it, I got a green field instead of the video. (Avidemux does open .mov videos - should I convert it - how?)
    Difficult to guess what you mean here... You mention both "AviDemux" and "VLC", not explaining which of the two displays a green screen (codec problem)...

If Windows does not display the "VLC cone" anymore, on a certain video file, it (usually) means that this particular file — in that case: video container — is no longer associated with "VLC". What software automatically opens, when you click the file? "VLC"? Or some "Windows Media Player"?

Try to launch "VLC" manually, then drag'n'drop the video file onto its interface, to check. In general, "VLC" ** should play it. If it does, set Windows in order to play those files with "VLC" only, from now on.

** In general! Because you should also note that the particular "MJPEG" codec used by "AviDemux" is... kind of weird (there are many versions or subversions, or "implementations", of "MJPEG" codec / format)...

The best and non-problematic "MJPEG" codec is probably "PicVideo / Pegasus MJPEG" (v° 3.x) — that "VirtualDub" and many other softwares use (once installed)... EXCEPT autonomous: "AviDemux", "VLC", "PotPlayer" and many others nowadays (the trend being: autonomous AND portable). [ "For instance", avoid "Morgan MJPEG codec"... ]

Also, "MJPEG", but the DEcoder part only, is included (by default) in all versions of Windows since XP (until when: ?).

Knowing that "AviDemux" does not rely on, does not even exploit external (= Windows) codecs but its own exclusively (all included in its folder / and knowing you can't add any codec to "AviDemux"), avoid its "MPJEG": too unsure!

Prefer "AviDemux" "HuffYUV" codec. I never had a problem with it: all autonomous players, like "VLC", "PotPlayer" etc., always open "HuffYUV". Not "Windows Media Player" though, until you install "Ben Rdudiak Gould's free HuffYUV codec" ***...

... IF your Windows accepts it: I could never install it in Windows 8 64-bit (even a modified v°, supposedly 64-bit or compatible), but in the 32-bit versions of Windows only;

but, in fact, you don't care: "HuffYUV" AVI files being very heavy — they are intermediate videos, waiting to be recoded to some "broadcast" format —, as long as "VLC" and "AviDemux" open them, forget "Windows Media Player" and other non-autonomous players.

*** Main advantage of that (excellent) version of "HuffYUV" if your Windows accepts it: "VirtualDub" (excellent editor also but limited to ".avi" files / unless adding the "VirtualDub" special "FFMpeg" plugin to its "plugins32" & "plugins64" folders / with limitations, and non-autonomous) lets the user edit "HuffYUV" videos "frame accurately" = you cut very precisely where you want.

But note that, while "AviDemux" "HuffYUV" has no settings, "Ben Rudiak Gould's HuffYUV" can be set to "Best and Best, which is a 100% lossless, while the other setting, "Fastest", is slightly lossy.

Lastly, why is "PicVideo / Pegasus MJPEG codec" interesting?

Set to its "19" quality, the result is excellent, though slightly lossy, and still VERY fast (not at "20").

Mostly interesting: to capture video ON-SCREEN, at 25 or 29.976 FPS (frames per second), and at a relatively big image size... depending on PC performances...

... or even to digitize analog video (from old tapes etc.). In those cases, a VERY fast encoder (codec) is required. Otherwise, the capture process "drops frames"...

"B.R. Gould's HuffYUV" is fast also (set on "Fastest" mode), but not AS fast.

Between 2000 and 2006 or 2008, using "XviD" or "DivX" (codecs) AVI, most ordinary PCs were too slow to capture without dropping frames, at least: at 25 or 29.976 FPS and 720 × 576 or 480 pixels (DVD sizes).

Nowadays, even a decent "i3", or better, an "i5" processor, allows video capture, not at huge image sizes of full screen, but quite big, and at 25 or 29.976 FPS, with no dropped frames, using "x264 free AVC H.264" codec (set to "veryfast" and RF 26, for example);

the result is not as good as "PicVideo MJPEG's", but doesn't even need recoding: just a remux to ".mp4" container, using "Avidemux" in "copy + copy" mode, when the capture software didn't allow ".mp4", but the ".avi" container only.
    One more good lossless + lightweight free codec: "Lagarith", although "Avidemux" cannot open "Lagarith AVIs". Those AVIs need to be recoded with "VirtualDub" or else, or frameserved to "Avidemux".

"Muxing (short for multiplexing)" never recodes anything: it's the "copy and copy" mode of "AviDemux", or the "Direct stream copy" of "VirtualDub" — although both let you recode the audio while directly copying the video stream, or the other way around.

Despite its name, "AviDemux", though very useful, is not very talented, when it comes to mux and demux any kind of video + audio... With "Avidemux 2.6.8", in some cases, you should select "MP4 v2" instead of "MP4" (bottom left).

To easily mux and demux MP4 AVC H.264 (+ AAC audio) videos, "Yamb/MP4box", and even "Hybrid" (but quite tough, that one), if not "FFMPEG" (command line only), are often necessary, when "AviDemux" fails.

Last edited by bulgom; 28th Oct 2015 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just a quick thank you for your extensive information. I'm going to copy it, and then experiment with the various codedcs, and I may well revert to you and ask you more questions.

Virtualdub (which I used with my old computer, Windows XP) won't let me download my files if they are not original .avi files (I'm attaching their message). I assume that's also a question of using the right codec? Most of my original files were .mov, and I convert them to .avi as needed.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	virtualdub1.JPG
Views:	1822
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	34222  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    start over with the original source

apply both filters, only edit and save ONE TIME

every time you edit, encode, change format you add another layer of quality loss...aka desegregation
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I brightened (filter>contrast) a .mov video in Avidemux, which changed it to .avi (codec ffHUFYUV), and when I replayed it, it had lost the Audio. The Audio output is on 'copy', and I also tried a few on the menu - to no avail. And then, when I went back to it, the video had actuallt frozen and I coouldn't play it at all. I assume that's also a function of the codec? I'm rereading your explanations, but am getting rather confused. Can you help?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the avi wrapper/container, may not support the original audio
    just change it to mp3 with a high enough bitrate to match the audio bitrate of the source

if you have used vdub you can use avidemux

you select the output format mp4, avi , mpeg..etc.. avi is just the default in the box
    just like you select the video codec, try xvid or dvx or h264
    don't change any quality settings, just use the defaults and try it
    Quote Quote  
  13. .
    Right: like Theewizard advises — and reminds * –, beginners (and not only...) often stumble on:

Originally Posted by bulgom View Post
    * "Can any container file contain any video + audio formats"? No! (it would be too simple...).
    Please, also take his word (and mine, when you'll find time to read my "little" initial answer) on: compression + recompression, that... alters video and audio for... ever.

(...) it had lost the Audio. The Audio output is on 'copy', and I also tried a few on the menu - to no avail. (...)
    [ edit ] ——— Some players hate silent videos... I mean: with no audio stream at all. Whenever you want the most compatible result (compatible with what? everything!), add at least a "dummy" audio stream — that is: "0 dB". So: silent to human ears, OK, but not technically.

Example: "U-Mplayer" plays videos with no audio stream at all, but often: at 2nd attempt only (don't quit & re-open, just click the "Play" triangle button AGAIN).

So far, you're not giving enough information to get efficient or quick help.

Always specify very clearly:
    container of original file (for example: ".mov") AND its contents: ex.: "AVC H.264 video + AAC audio";

AND the same information on what you converted to. Plus name & version of the tool: "AviDemux, VirtualDub, whatever...".

Otherwise, anyone who tries to help you has too much to guess, and either gives up, either types... miles of text , or "too" basic advice (though basic info. is essential too).

Example:

And then, when I went back to it, the video had actuallt frozen and I couldn't play it at all. I assume that's also a function of the codec? I'm rereading your explanations, but am getting rather confused. Can you help?
    Probably a codec problem — simply missing. But you "went back to it" using... what, exactly? "VLC"? Another player? "VirtualDub"? "AviDemux"?

1. See if "VLC" opens it. If yes, there's some hope... (forget non autonomous players, "Win. Media Player", etc., for now)

2. Check its weight: between 0 byte and a few kilobytes only, it's often become a defective video file.

3. Drop it on "MediaInfo", to check / learn what's inside.

4. If "AviDemux" still opens it (you didn't say), cut 3 to 5 seconds an excerpt of it and attach the result to a next post.

Since I cannot post a whole... book (and eventhough I would), I know that the way I (try to) sum up general + other informations IS confusing, at 1st, and even 2nd + 3rd sight. Try not to faint before, say, a 4th rereading... Information I read here + on "Wikipedia", etc., also makes me dizzy, believe me. It all depends on how fast we want to learn...

Note 1 · Although "VirtualDub" ("VD") does not manage ".aac" audio (or via a special ".aac" plug-in, but there is a simpler solution), ".mp4" files containing AVC H.264 video + .aac audio open in "VD" once you add the "VirtualDub-FFMpeg-Input-Plugin". See below.

When converting, "VD" will save your video to: the ".avi" container, and include audio under ".wav" format (within the ".avi").
    [ Or ".mp3", but limited to lousy low bitrates only (under Win. XP anyway, unless installing "ACM"...); in almost all cases, avoid ".mp3" at low bitrates! ]

Note 2 · "VD" can encode to "x264" AVC H.264, once you install the freeware (lightweight) "x264" "VfW · Video for Windows" version exclusively — if you want to recode to AVC H.264 using "VD".

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · Here, a one~minute pause

Why recommend / use "VirtualDub", knowing that "AviDemux" is more recent, and not limited to ".avi" contained videos?

Among several reasons (but 1 mn only **, so...), when the rather fussy "AviDemux" fails! Does that mean "VirtualDub" is more "open minded"? Not at all. It's even fussier, on many points — but usually not the same ones as "AviDemux".

[ edit ] ** ——— I should still give the main reasons: besides testing + using many codecs, you can add a whole lot of free (effects) "filters" to "VD" — while "AviDemux" does not let the user add any codec, neither "filters"...

Newbies sometimes reply: "Instead, I'm gonna buy me 'Sony Vegas', and basta". "Vegas" is excellent, no doubt, BUT, besides being expensive, do NOT believe it to be some "total / ultimate solution"! It just ain't... BTW, "Vegas" (not autonomous either), as old as 5.x, is already very advanced / interesting.

Note 3 · "AviUtl ExtraPack" https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviUtl (don't try the non "ExtraPack" v°), is a rare 100% REAL freeware (not "half" or fake freeware), portable & non-autonomous + without spyware(s), that could more or less compete with "Sony Vegas",

since it's also a multitrack editor (= more powerful than "VD" & "AviDemux": real time "compositing" allowed), and at least as advanced as "Vegas" on titling. A little tough on newbies, though not that difficult...

"Lastly", are autonomous video editors more interesting?
    Short answer: yes... AND no.

End of nap · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

The ".avi" container is AVC H.264 compatible. The simplest and safest way to go is to accept "(uncompressed) .wav", associated to AVC H.264 video, in ".avi" container...

... AND THEN, second operation but fast: remux that result in "AviDemux" to ".mp4" container, "Video" set on "COPY", while recoding the audio stream only, to ".aac".

Why? For compatibility reasons, always try to end up with an ".mp4" file (rather than ".avi"), containing AVC H.264 video, and preferably ".aac" audio (though ".mp3" is compatible too).

AVC H.264 in .avi is OK at home, but not recommended for broadcasting / distribution!

You also have the ".mkv" container, quite tolerant, but not as universal as ".mp4".

Although it accepts AVC H.264 files (no that young a format...), not only the AVI container is quite old, it's incompatible with many types of video and audio.

About the ".mov" container: unless you are using a "Macintosh" computer besides your Windows based machines, why do you need those files? For a cell phone, or friends? Or may be because of a camera that produces ".mov" files?

In fact, the more you avoid the ".mov (Apple QuickTime)" container, the better — especially if you are using "VirtualDub", which happens to bark against the CONTENTS of ".mov" files quite often, the old ones in particular ("Sorenson" esoteric codec...); not so much AVC H.264 contents, though.

And 1st reminder: try to add as soon as possible to your "VirtualDub" this plug-in: ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/sourceforge/v/vi/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/V1836/VirtualdubF...36_X86_X64.exe
    OR ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/sourceforge/v/vi/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/V1836/VirtualdubF...lugin_1836.zip

(see also: http://codecpack.co/download/FFInputDriver.html + http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1673536 )

Next, when "VirtualDub" refuses to open something you drop to his face, instead, click: File > Open video file (or Ctrl+O) and, at bottom of "Open video file window", select (at File types field):

"FFMpeg Supported Files", before clicking your problematic video. It sure helps in many cases! When it works, it may sometimes slow down the ("VD" cursor) scrolling of your video display but, if you mainly need to recode, you might survive...

When replacing analog video with digital was still a dream, 1000% more efficiency, speed, AND SIMPLICITY!.. were expected...

It's true to SOME extend but, IN FACT, digital video turned out to be incredibly complex, due, in the first place, to the huge variety of audio + visual formats!

And also because of compression (= codecs' task), that the user can set very precisely! And much more! Such complexity (video compression's a maze / see "x264" compression settings, in "AviDemux", "just~for~fun"...) reminds me every day that I'm nothing but a beginner; & it sure gives me hell...

So, the least any beginner NEEDS is some training or exercise sessions (try to manipulate, convert, etc., 10 to 30 seconds excerpts or samples)... That may "feel useless" a priori, I know, but some basic if not "fundamental" knowledge always becomes essential one day or another, in order to waste less time.

Now, not only posting a "containers / audiovisual files formats compatiblity table" would be very tedious, but who would remember more than a few lines of it anyway... You can still visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats to get an overall idea of the "thingy" (not exactly a piece of cake).

Also, note that you can always attach a sample of a problematic video file to your posts, here. In some (if not many) cases, you'll get quicker / more efficient help.

[ Edit: wouldn't that "look better" in red?..
    Attach a sample of a problematic video file to your posts. You should get quicker / more efficient help. ]

When you type "download video to VD (VirtualDub)", I assume that you simply mean "OPEN in VD" (otherwise, you just added a new option to "VD" : video downloading ! ).

And: YES, the typical "Couldn't locate decompressor..." "VD" warning OF COURSE means that the needed coDEC ("dec" = decompressor) is missing.

Little reminder #2, here: the "MediaInfo" freeware displays the name of the codec that created a video, that you drop to its interface.

Don't forget that, as opposed to "AviDemux", "VLC" + some others, "VD" is not autonomous. It relies on the codecs that are (already) installed in your version of Windows and, when they aren't, on the codecs that YOU install in Windows.

BTW: in general, avoid "codec packs", as they MAY (sometimes) mess up your whole set of present codecs. You should rather install codecs one by one, and only the ones you need. One exception (that is not a "codec pack", but behaves the same): "FFDshow", interesting freeware.

[ "VirtualDub" is not autonomous, but portable "by nature". As you know, it requires no classical installation, just a simple decompression of the zip or whatever compressed file you download from Avery Lee's site (its creator / programmer).

So far, so good. But it can be made "even more portable". Why, since it's ALREADY portable?.. "Simply" because, in that case, it can be equipped with a few essential codecs, made portable as well (at least: the ones which accept the "tweak").

Why? Because then, you have some sort of "pack or kit", 100% portable / autonomous: "the-VD-tool+a-few-codecs-INCLUDED", which lets you use "VD" like "AviDemux", somehow;

and even better than "AviDemux", since that "VD-pack" is still able to exploit external codecs (the installed-in-Windows ones). Made portable that way, those codecs can only be used by "VD" but, on the other hand, they don't interfere with Windows.

I of course geeked together such a "kit", using "VD 1.10.4" (recent v°) — but haven't tested it under Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1, neither 10, yet: Win. XP only. ]

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · footnote · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

[ edit · Oct. 28th, 2015 ] Not so easy, to help with no mistake or with enough precision...

f o o t n o t e · T o C

———— "MJPEG = good quality & heavyweight files" *** needs to be corrected! or explained further. Or more precision.

———— And reminder: "HuffYUV AVIs" compatibility problem with "VirtualDub" and other non-autonomous apps under 64-bit versions of Windows:

in short: under Win. 7 64-bit: once "huffyuv64" installed, although Windows non autonomous apps still don't play "HuffYUV" AVIs (in my case anyway), "VirtualDub 1.10.4 64-bit" (though non-autonomous either) opens them, AND allows recoding to that format.

https://www.videohelp.com/download/huffyuv64.zip (64-bit)

[ https://www.videohelp.com/download/huffyuv-2.1.1.zip (32-bit) ]

[[ https://www.videohelp.com/download/huffyuv_220.zip I usually avoid that 2.2.0 v°, until I'll figure how to get it to work... but you might be luckier? ]]

Installation couldn't be easier: right click "huffyuv.INF" > Install (want to uninstall? Usual Windows programs uninstallation utility).

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

*** I have a gadget camcorder that produces very low quality and ultra lightweight "MJPEG" files... And it doesn't let the user set "MJPEG" quality.

Neither does another one, a "Sony DV" — "DV (Digital Video)" being some sort of "MJPEG" video (but excellent quality with that one, and ~217 MB per mn = ~13 GB/hour).

Besides their respective low & high quality, both camcorders produce THE MOST COMFORTABLE-TO-EDIT VIDEO: in case you'd want to EDIT (& not convert only), note that "MJPEG" AVIs are "frame accurate" at once...
    ... while AVC H.264 based camcorders and cellphones force users to convert videos before editing — if they want to cut them frame accurately anyway (otherwise, I mean: for simple conversion and no editing or hardly, never mind that 1st step).
    Convert to what? "HuffYUV" AVIs of course, since totally lossless when "B. R. Gould's HuffYUV" codec set to "best & best".

In case you'd still wonder what it means: simply, as long as "HuffYUV" stays on "best & best" (don't set it to "Fastest"!), you can save what you just edited with no quality loss at all: as many times as you need. And re-open the result, modify, apply filters etc., save again — and so on.

Anyway, if you need lightweight video files, don't use "MJPEG". Use "x264" (free AVC H.264 encoder, included in "AviDemux").

"Plus": "MJEG" AVIs compatibility with many devices, standalone above all, is too unsure (& incompatible for sure with Web page based audiovisual players, for instance).

One exception? Hard drive almost full... In that case, you might prefer "MJPEG", since its AVIs are not quite as heavy as "HuffYUV's" — but always use "19" "PicVideo" quality setting and save: ONCE only (since "MJPEG" is lossy).

That said, "MJPEG" not "AviDemux MJPEG", though! – can be very interesting but, again, should be used at high bitrates.

Why not "AviDemux MJPEG"? Every time I test it, quality settings don't seem to apply, & I get "MJPEG" AVIs that are incompatible with several Windows softwares!..

... while "PicVideo MJPEG" (requires "VirtualDub") settings apply perfectly + produce always compatible results (w. Windows apps).

So, reminders: 1. prefer "HuffYUV", since totally LOSSLESS — but not as fast as "PicVideo MJPEG" if you (ever?) need to CAPTURE video (on screen or by digitizing old analog video).

2. Now... under Windows 64-bit (not 32-bit, usually), "HuffYUV" AVIs probably won't display in non autonomous apps such as "Windows Media Player" — but "VLC", "PotPlayer" & "S-M & U-M player" being autonomous, they should accept them.

And "VirtualDub", under Win. 64-bit? It works / see below.

"VirtualDub" and "HuffYUV" being too interesting to be forgotten (you can add many filters to "VD", not to "AviDemux"), how to force "VD" to open "HuffYUV" AVIs under those (darn) 64-bit versions of Windows?

[ Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1, and even 10 if I remember right, come in 32 OR 64-bit versions... Of course, don't switch to a 32-bit Windows if your PC's a 64-bit machine. If you wonder, this little utility displays clearly "32" or "64": http://www.igorware.com/64bit-checker/download ]

Now, despite Windows 7 64-bit incompabilities, what can (still) be done? I did some testing (thru Win. 7 64-bits complications). Result: good news — for once...

THOUGH, installing "Ben Rudiak Gould's HuffYUV" in Windows 64-bit version does not SEEM to work, "modified to 64-bit HuffYUV" included,

and ALTHOUGH after installing "64-bit HuffYUV", "Win. Media Player" and other non-autonomous still don't accept "HuffYUV" AVIs,

"VirtualDub 1.10.4 64-bit version": · opens "HuffYUV" AVIs · and its Video > Compression menu/window shows a (new) "Huffyuv 2.1.1" line,

meaning that you can compress using "HuffYUV" and "VD".

"VLC" displays those "HuffYUV" AVIs alright.

And what about "AviDemux HuffYUV"?

· Under Win. 7 64-bit, "VLC 2.2.1 32-bit v°" complained but still played them.

· "VirtualDub" showed a green screen on the 1st frame of the video but, as soon as I scrolled to the right, displayed it normally (and never greened the 1st frame anymore).

Lastly, what about opening (back) both "B. R. Gould's HuffYUV" (created under "VirtualDub") AND "AviDemux HuFFYUV" AVIs, in "AviDemux" — under Win. 7 64-bits of course?

· "AviDemux 2.6.8 32-bit" opens them all.

· "AviDemux 2.6.10 64-bit" opened "HuffYUV" AVIs created by "AviDemux 2.6.8 32-bit" only, NOT the ones (just) created using "VirtualDub + B. R. Gould's HuffYUV".

Last edited by bulgom; 28th Oct 2015 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! It'll take me a while to digest/apply all that, and I'll no doubt come back later.

Meanwhile, THANK YOU for all your efforts!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Note that I often edit (like right now, to avoid too many new posts). So, check, on those old answers.

Yeah, digesting info. on video can take a "little" while. And that's almost nothing in comparison to what you ought to know...

Post #13 edited Oct. 28, 2015 · see (or search)

footnote

"MJPEG = good quality" needed more precision ("MJPEG" CAN ALSO be lousy, depending on settings).

+ "Ben Rudiak Gould's HuffYUV" 64-bit v°, just tested under Win. 7 64-bit + "VirtualDub 1.10.4 64-bit": works (display AND recode), eventhough "Win. Media Player" still doesn't accepts those AVIs (after "HuffYUV" install').

Last edited by bulgom; 28th Oct 2015 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote