VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did anyone resolve this issue by chance? I am experiencing it now and there seems to not be a definitive answer here. I've had the same issue on multiple machines.

I had my Avermedia Volar Max Hybrid USB stick working on one Windows 8 machine, and then it quit working all of sudden and now I can't get it to work on ANY of my machines. My plan is to try a Windows Vista machine next, as it sounded like it tended to work better with older operating systems. However, it's not exactly my ideal to have one of my rigs running Vista, so a solution wherein I can use it on my Windows 10 main rig would be nice.

It's the same issue as described above: Honestech recognizes the device, and Device manager says it's all installed correctly, and the Stop/Rewind/Play blue screens show up just fine, but after hitting play, the screen changes to a lighter shade of blue and doesn't give me any video feed--just audio. I confirmed that the file it outputs is in fact just a blue screen (and not like a blue screen off of a blank tape, but just a solid light blue screen). I've tested with multiple different machines and tapes. The only thing I can't switch out of my setup is the capture device and the VCR as I don't really want to spend more money on getting another of either device. I don't think they are the issues as I can play VHS tapes just fine on TV's with the VCR and I can SEE it when I hit Stop or Rewind (and even that half second when it says Play before it changes to the random light blue screen).

Any help on this one? I've had the issue so many times and given up so many times in the past--I just can't seem to pin down what keeps happening.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved your post to its own thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah okay, let me know if anyone needs more info on my setup (as I had referenced a few previous posts in that older thread). Not likely necessary, I think. It has to be some kind of stupid driver issue that I just haven't been able to isolate yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try other software, not for capture, just to see if you can get a picture with any of them. At various times I have used MPC-HC, VLC, Pot-Player, DScaler, and Debut Video Capture for this kind of testing on a Windows 7 PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will do and will reply back ASAP. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm that VLC and MPC-HC have the same issues (audio but no video). It was interesting though, that when I would click between "Composite" and "Tuner" or "S-Video" as the source, it would briefly flash the snow/fuzzy stuff that you don't see anymore in the HD-era. No actual picture, but you can tell it registered a change of some kind. Sooo, I dunno what it means, but it makes me wish I had an S-Video cable to test.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just about to try it out on Windows Vista (*sigh) to see if that will yield any different results.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, it's doing the exact same thing on a brand new Vista install with totally clean drivers. I think it must be the device itself. Might be time to invest in something a little newer, I guess.
    Quote Quote