VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I already know how to stream to/from my laptop to desktop and vice versa, with computers on the same net work.

But I want to stream a family video to a relative in another state. I used VLC 1.1 years ago to do this. And it worked but I can't remember all the steps I have to take.

I know what my public IP address is and i have port forwarding set up on my computer.

when I use 192... .... all works well with computers in the house....

But I read then you can use your public IP address and the port number you set up in the port forwarding section in your router to send it/ access it over the internet using http protocol but I can't get it to work but have in the past...

Can anyone help me please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make a freeware no-ip.org account and create a desired host.

Download ip tools software and login using your credentials.

Go to router/modem and set your PC to DMZ.

Now your PC is enable to share VLC stream.

Have various forms to this. Many routers have DDNS service.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't set your computer to DMZ, that's just asking to be hacked. Set your router to route incoming requests only of the streaming port number to the private IP of the computer that's streaming.

Bit it's quite common for ISPs to block incoming requests. If you check your T&Cs you'll probably find that you're not allowed to run a "server".
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Oct 2015 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  4. yea am not gonna set the DMZ. As I didn't have to the last time either.....
    My router is already setup... via port forwarding

I think my firewall is the issue I donno
    Quote Quote  
  5. * UPDATE *

The person I want to stream to can in fact stream to me using vlc... as in I get *their* stream just fine. But they can not get my stream. the get a "Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL" error

GRRRRRR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely the quickest, and easiest, way to share content is for both parties to have Skype accounts.

You then play the vid in VLC and your 'relative' views your desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  7. https://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch02.html

Streaming methods

If you chose Stream to network option, you can now specify the streaming method. Available methods are:

UDP Unicast: Stream to a single computer. Enter the client's IP address (in the 0.0.0.0 - 223.255.255.255 range).
    So all you need to know is IP number for the computer of your relatives - UDP unicast should be fine.

Beware IP should be routable i.e. none of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
    It may be necessary to modify some router configuration and this may help a bit:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/827562
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm still struggling to stream... I read howto after howto.... I am wondering if its because I'm streaming to a windows 8 machine and I'm running windows 7 pro?

They are able to stream to me no problem. But I can't stream to them. Nor can I find an up to date howto covering windows 8 or newer.

can any one help?

We have even tried on a maching were the firewalls are stitch off.. still no go....

Are there any alternatives to VLC player for streaming?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ZenMystic View Post
    I am wondering if its because I'm streaming to a windows 8 machine and I'm running windows 7 pro?
    Not likely.

It's much more likely your ISP is blocking incoming connection requests. At least on the port number you're using. Try different port numbers, maybe they don't block them all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ok well I have now tried different ports... And STILL it seems they can only stream to me..... But my stream to them is blocked... I'm about ready to give up... I never had any of this trouble back in the day when the computers in question were all vista machines. GRRRR.

If anyone can help..... Please..... lol
    Are there alternatives to vlc streaming? As in are there any other players there will allow me to stream to a relative in another state?
    Should I perhaps buy a domain? and stream to that? Although i have no idea how to do that.

As it is right now I am sending the file and waiting the 20-30 mins it takes for it to download to them...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZenMystic View Post
    ok well I have now tried different ports... And STILL it seems they can only stream to me..... But my stream to them is blocked... I'm about ready to give up... I never had any of this trouble back in the day when the computers in question were all vista machines. GRRRR.

If anyone can help..... Please..... lol
    Are there alternatives to vlc streaming? As in are there any other players there will allow me to stream to a relative in another state?
    Should I perhaps buy a domain? and stream to that? Although i have no idea how to do that.

As it is right now I am sending the file and waiting the 20-30 mins it takes for it to download to them...
    Make a freeware no-ip.org account and create a desired host.

Download ip tools software and login using your credentials.

Go to router/modem and set your PC to DMZ.

Now your PC is enable to share VLC stream.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  12. ***Problem Solved***

After weeks of trial and error I discovered Skype was the culprit. (It happen to not be running one day.) Upon further investigation I found unchecking use port 80 and 443 for additional incoming connections solved the streaming problem just like that!!!

Just thought post in case anyone else ever runs into this issue. So I didn't have to take the step buying a domain or set my router to DMZ. Although its handy info to have and I may do that in the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZenMystic View Post
    ***Problem Solved***

Just thought post in case anyone else ever runs into this issue. So I didn't have to take the step buying a domain or set my router to DMZ. Although its handy info to have and I may do that in the future.
    - Download Virtualbox and install - freeware - 9 minutes installation time.
    - Install Windows 7 (30 days) - 40 minutes for all
    - Make a free account in no-ip.org - 5 minutes
    - Download free ip tool - 1 minute
    - Setup IP from Virtual Machine in DMZ on Router - 1 minute
    - Setup VLC to streamming public IP - 3 minutes

Total time: 59 minutes ~1 hour.

OP Time to solve: 36.000 minutes. Too easy.
    Quote Quote