VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had taken the advice from the Vidcoder discussion to try out DVDFab Passkey as an alternative to AnyDVD.

It's behavior conflicts with AnyDVD and attempts to uninstall it by simple deletion have failed.

Also I noticed some very peculiar behavior: Using my favorite uninstall tool Revo Uninstaller in Hunter mode (a target which locates files) also failed. What it does is attempt to uninstall Audacity-- perhaps because it is located at the top of the file list in Win7

Why is this Feng Shui guy playing all these tricks with his 'free program'? I'm very put out by the difficulty and think that the user public should be warned _in the Videohelp software group_ about the problem and reference solutions and that DVDFab should include an effortless uninstaller as a service to the public.

Has anyone at VH gone through this headache and what did you do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a dabbler not really a user of either software but I do not believe you have to uninstall it. Check under Settings.../General and uncheck the option to Run Passkey at windows startup then reboot. That should be enough to remove the conflict since it won't be loaded in memory after the reboot.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is bound to be a conflict since both are attempting to perform the same task.

Agree with the above. Edit the settings so that the program does not run at startup. That is how mine is setup and I just run it if and when I need it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Passkey installs a filter driver. Remove it with ImgBurn by clicking Tools-->Filter Driver Load Order, then find the filter installed by Passkey. Remove it by clicking on it to highlight the filter, then click on Remove selected filter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok I may have to reinstall it to let it put everything where it wants to and then turn it off.

But why are there 'help sites' with special tools to do the removal?

What is the method of just making it go away?

Thanks for these answers. I was not aware there were these sorts of tweaks in the program _and_ no help message to point to the solution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    ...and attempts to uninstall it by simple deletion have failed.
    You should know by now that deleting files is not a very good way to uninstall software.

And, if the driver is loaded, it's only natural that you can't delete it since there would be files in use by the system.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    I'm a dabbler not really a user of either software but I do not believe you have to uninstall it. Check under Settings.../General and uncheck the option to Run Passkey at windows startup then reboot. That should be enough to remove the conflict since it won't be loaded in memory after the reboot.
    I am trying this now, but please note, my reinstall to put everything back which Passkey does at it's install defaults, according to the Gerneral Tab check box to unchecked-- no auto start. This tells me something else is going on.

My reboot is taking place. I'll see if the error messages and interference persist. Passkey then remains installed and no clean uninstall is anywhere evident.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Passkey installs a filter driver. Remove it with ImgBurn by clicking Tools-->Filter Driver Load Order, then find the filter installed by Passkey. Remove it by clicking on it to highlight the filter, then click on Remove selected filter.
    I found and removed the Lower class Filter revealed in Imgburn and restarted again.

Will post any results from a new attempt to load and run AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I found and removed the Lower class Filter revealed in Imgburn and restarted again.

Will post any results from a new attempt to load and run AnyDVD.
    I have reloaded and found the dvdfab entry still there. here's why:

(Passkey is a download I got from Videohelp as a reminder) What happens when you load Imgburn to
    delete the Lower level driver is a warning message appears, I ok that and _then_ the tab to remove the entry in Imgburn greys out and is unusable. It's a dead end.

Riddle me that.

Pass key's message says uninstall the program if there is a conflict. Where is the uninstall routine to do this? Somebody surely has run into this difficulty before. And I'm not going to any third party program offering to do it for me since I've tried that. What happened was it was a non- specific program uninstaller. I mentioned that Revo Uninstaller which I normally use has been defeated by this as well.

If necessary I'll wipe my primary drive, reinstall what I need and be very upset at having to do so.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What OS ?

For Win7, PassKey appears on the 'Programs and Features' list from Control Panel. A right-click on the name then offers an un-install option.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Using ImgBurn is a simpler, shortcut method of removing upper and lower filters. If it doesn't work properly, you'll need to modify registry entries:

http://www.techsupportall.com/fixed-solved-cd-drive-not-found-not-detect-remove-upper-...-lower-filter/

And as DB83 has already mentioned, Passkey should show up in Programs and Features (found in Control Panel), and you should be able to uninstall it from there. This may not remove the filter however.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have not done a disk wipe yet and trying to save my work.

I'll look at the registry entry link. But of course I looked on the add delete list and (I'm working from a different HD just now) as I recall what showed up from Passkey was the open box installer Icon.

Revo Uninstaller has a "hunter" mode where you could find the exe and it would do the trace and
    begin it's action. I forget the error but that failed too.

All I can say to others is stay far away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you have not tried a basic Windows uninstall. You can hardly comment in that regard.

In your OP you stated you 'took advice'. Did that advice ever mention that having both programs installed actually create issues ?

Programs that perform the same function can often conflict. I read all the time of people installing multiple codec packs and then wonder why their system goes tits up.

If you had wanted to try Passkey you can now see the wisdom of un-installing DVDFab first.

But for goodness sake try a basic uninstall first and not rely on memory.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Using ImgBurn is a simpler, shortcut method of removing upper and lower filters. If it doesn't work properly, you'll need to modify registry entries:

http://www.techsupportall.com/fixed-solved-cd-drive-not-found-not-detect-remove-upper-...-lower-filter/

And as DB83 has already mentioned, Passkey should show up in Programs and Features (found in Control Panel), and you should be able to uninstall it from there. This may not remove the filter however.

I have just come from trying to make a paper printout to follow in this procedure.
    For some reason a capture from this site is not doable.

Is there a source for this technique in text format? I think I even saw the technique long ago but
    have nothing on it in my tool box of procedures.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

I have just come from trying to make a paper printout to follow in this procedure.
    For some reason a capture from this site is not doable.

Is there a source for this technique in text format? I think I even saw the technique long ago but
    have nothing on it in my tool box of procedures.
    Use the snipping tool to make a png image of the site. Or do a Google search for "remove upper and lower filters" and you'll see a dozen such write-ups. You, of course, don't want to remove all the filters, just the DVDFab Passkey filter.

Or just look at this image of the instructions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	removing upper and lower filters.PNG
Views:	202
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	34129
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely, if a program is uninstalled any registry entry left behind is redundant ?

I thought that only an active program makes use of the registry.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    ^AnyDVD detects the filter driver installed by Passkey and refuses to work while it exists in the system. Passkey, on the other hand, has no issues with the filter installed by AnyDVD. The conflict is entirely on Slysoft's side of the equation.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Without a long quote that alpha numeric string is then specific to this problem? A yes or no is good enough. I'll not ask what the function is of these filter drivers.

As to Imgburn, there should be no need to download it again with all of its bs in the current editions. It doesn't work. I explained why.

I'll report back when I have attempted this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^AnyDVD detects the filter driver installed by Passkey and refuses to work while it exists in the system. Passkey, on the other hand, has no issues with the filter installed by AnyDVD. The conflict is entirely on Slysoft's side of the equation.
    Ok. I'll take your word for that.

Even so, I would be pretty nervous doing any direct editing of the registry - a bit like a surgeon asking someone to do their own open-heart surgery

I saw a reference to DVD Fab at that location. Yet the same location also refers to Any DVD which implies a shared resource. Delete the key and neither will then work. But what do I know.
    Quote Quote  
  20. An update for anyone still following this.

The procedure given didn't work.

After reboot the same error message appears and within the directory
    there was _now_ ControlSet 001
    Control Set 002
    and Control Set (plain)

I did not see upper and lower filters .bak. I have experience editing the registry

A listing called Properties is there but cannot be tampered with and I did not try.

There's a big something left to do about which I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I managed to find one of my backup HDs with Passkey not tampered with. That uninstall went as it should.

The egg is on my face for overlooking the entry DVDFab Passkey rather than under "P."

I'm still going to inspect the remaining disk for the error.

Thanks for your patience. I still don't understand the replication of registry entries though.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is an old one, but here goes! Anytime You download a program, always do a restore point! And name it with the date, and name of software it may make it easier to identify for newbies to find! That way, if something like this goes wrong, do a restore back before download and all should be good to go, your problem should go bye, bye! OK! Your file that is causing the headache is in the hidden files! You have to change settings to show hidden files! after you unhide files go to C: users~ Local~ Temp! Look for file name You are trying to delete! It may be listed under different name, like the name of the company that made the software! find the file and delete it! What ever You do! stay away from the registry! You go in there and start deleting things and You can say good bye to Your O>S If that happens I hope You made the recovery discs that came with Your PC/Laptop. because Your going to need them! When You delete the file in temp, make sure You hide Your files again! also after doing this, go to search, and search to see if anything is remaining of file You want gone , if so delete it!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks for this for the sake of anyone who had the problem.
    I just looked through the thread and saw I had to retrieve a backup HD without passkey on it to be rid of it.

Frequent restore points is a good suggestion.

Malwarebytes Junk Removal Tool runs quickly and makes a restore point. I have that on the desktop.
    Quote Quote