VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought an Avermedia HD Capture Card to capture uncompressed MPEG2 from the cable box (I realized it's most likely stored in compressed mp4 on the DVR). Model C027.

The Avermedia MediaCenter software doesn't allow 60fps even if set at 1280x720, only allows 30fps.

I have an HD PVR2 but that captures in H264, which is very good but nothing beats MPEG2 uncompressed at 15mbs for clarity and sharpness, it's stunning if it works right. I tried Arcsoft Shwobiz which came with the PVR2 but the signal is not being recognized, although it sees the device in the dropdown menu.

Is there standalone software (preferably free) that can capture 720p at 60fps? Perhaps some of you who capture HD OTA can give recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    I bought an Avermedia HD Capture Card to capture uncompressed MPEG2 from the cable box (I realized it's most likely stored in compressed mp4 on the DVR). Model C027.

The Avermedia MediaCenter software doesn't allow 60fps even if set at 1280x720, only allows 30fps.

I have an HD PVR2 but that captures in H264, which is very good but nothing beats MPEG2 uncompressed at 15mbs for clarity and sharpness, it's stunning if it works right. I tried Arcsoft Shwobiz which came with the PVR2 but the signal is not being recognized, although it sees the device in the dropdown menu.

Is there standalone software (preferably free) that can capture 720p at 60fps? Perhaps some of you who capture HD OTA can give recommendations.

No way man. I have C027 card for 5 years, its record 720p@60 flawless.

15Mb?? Nope, C027 record 720p@60 at 30.000btr and 1080i at 40.000btr.

Update your Avermedia Center.

Link: Aver C027 Official Driver + Software

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM

The Avermedia C027 works with AmarecTV, but if you want to capture direct to MPEG-2, you are going to have a hard time doing that. AmarecTV uses VFW encoders and I have had no luck finding a good free or inexpensive VFW encoder for MPEG-2.

You might be able to use GraphStudio to build a Direct Showfilter graph for the C027 and be lucky enough to find a DirectShow MPEG-2 encoder already installed on your system that works. However, this is not a beginner-friendly task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub will work too.

You can use Matrox VFW Codecs (Its contain MPEG2 in AVI mode).

Code:
    Matrox VFW Software Codecs

The Matrox Video for Windows (VFW) software codecs let you render and play back Matrox .avi files in your VFW programs without having Matrox video hardware installed. This version provides codecs that were previously available only on systems that have particular Matrox video hardware, such as Matrox Axio. This includes the Matrox DVCPRO HD codec, and "+ Alpha" versions of the Matrox uncompressed and MPEG-2 I-frame codecs. As well, the Matrox VFW MPEG-2 I-frame HD codec now lets you render and play back Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame .avi files in all HD formats (720p, 1440x1080i/p, and full-size 1080i/p).

The following VFW software codecs are provided for use on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems:

Matrox DV/DVCAM
        Matrox DVCPRO
        Matrox DVCPRO50
        Matrox DVCPRO HD
        Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame in SD and HD resolutions, with or without alpha
        Matrox Uncompressed in SD and HD resolutions, with or without alpha
        Matrox Offline HD
        Matrox M-JPEG and HDV (playback only)
    Link: ftp://redirect:r45j99t3@hftp.matrox.com/private/VFWCodecs_10.exe
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Matrox MPEG-2 encoder is worthless for most people. It encodes video using only I frames. Why on earth would you recommend it?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Oct 2015 at 11:17. Reason: accuracy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My 2 cents.

If all direct-to-MPEG-2 capture fails, just capture at 60fps with a lossless codec if you can, such as HuffYUV, and encode later to MPEG-2 at 60fps, such as with a good encoder like HCenc.

In fact, I've always had better MPEG-2 quality from captures when starting with lossless anyway. I've never liked the MPEG-2 encoders/settings that capture software uses, and when doing it "on the fly" you're asking for quality hits with a lossy format like MPEG-2. I still see blocks even at higher bitrates.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    ...if you want to capture direct to MPEG-2, you are going to have a hard time doing that. AmarecTV uses VFW encoders and I have had no luck finding a good free or inexpensive VFW encoder for MPEG-2.
    Not only does it sound like one is venturing on the "Dark Side" with this one , but on my end, I have never had any fortune either with any of VFW MPEG-2 codecs - reliability and quality-wise.

Hence, another reason I recommend to start with lossless.

Originally Posted by texas1
    I have an HD PVR2 but that captures in H264, which is very good but nothing beats MPEG2 uncompressed at 15mbs for clarity and sharpness, it's stunning if it works right.
    Nothing beats lossless no matter what bitrate you use for a lossy format like MPEG-2 or H.264 or other. And, from my experience, using a good encoder to achieve the resulting MPEG-2 objective from lossless tends to be unbeatable than starting from MPEG-2, at any bitrate.

But I will agree with you that MPEG-2 at 15mbps can be stunning, and many MPEG-2 capture methods can be better than H.264 capture methods.

Lossless->MPEG-2 is an extra step, yes, but with today's processors it's fast, and in the end I've seen better quality and have had many less headaches this way.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The Matrox MPEG-2 encoder is worthless for most people. It encodes video using only I frames. Why on earth would you recommend it?
    Not for me. I never had problems capturing with MPEG2 I frame.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Not for me. I never had problems capturing with MPEG2 I frame.

Claudio
    I didn't say people would have problems capturing using MPEG2 I frame. I said I-frame only MPEG-2 captures are worthless for most people. I'll bet you re-encode I-frame only MPEG-2 files rather than use them in their original state.

However, most people want to capture direct to MPEG-2 because they intend to use their captures for authored DVD or Blu-Ray and don't want to re-encode later. I-frame only capture files are also much larger than than most people want even if they are only going to play them as data files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't say people would have problems capturing using MPEG2 I frame. I said I-frame only MPEG-2 captures are worthless for most people. I'll bet you re-encode I-frame only MPEG-2 files rather than use them in their original state.

However, most people want to capture direct to MPEG-2 because they intend to use their captures for authored DVD or Blu-Ray and don't want to re-encode later. I-frame only capture files are also much larger than than most people want even if they are only going to play them as data files.
    I dont think anyone buy a HDMI Card to record DVD files. I know there are these people and to put all forums I frequent, 99% were to capture games and then MPEG2 I frame is no problem.

I agree when talk about using a lossless codec for recording, I suggest UT VIDEO ULY2.

Yes, also I record only for reencoding after, since I edit the videos with openings, captions and effects.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

I dont think anyone buy a HDMI Card to record DVD files. I know there are these people and to put all forums I frequent, 99% were to capture games and then MPEG2 I frame is no problem.

I agree when talk about using a lossless codec for recording, I suggest UT VIDEO ULY2.

Yes, also I record only for reencoding after, since I edit the videos with openings, captions and effects.

Claudio
    The OP in this thread is using the AverMedia C027 to record cable TV from his set-top box. The OP is apparently only interested in HD capture at 720p60, but there are still some people who want DVD-compatible MPEG-2 from their capture device.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Oct 2015 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    My 2 cents.

If all direct-to-MPEG-2 capture fails, just capture at 60fps with a lossless codec if you can, such as HuffYUV, and encode later to MPEG-2 at 60fps, such as with a good encoder like HCenc.

In fact, I've always had better MPEG-2 quality from captures when starting with lossless anyway. I've never liked the MPEG-2 encoders/settings that capture software uses, and when doing it "on the fly" you're asking for quality hits with a lossy format like MPEG-2. I still see blocks even at higher bitrates.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    ...if you want to capture direct to MPEG-2, you are going to have a hard time doing that. AmarecTV uses VFW encoders and I have had no luck finding a good free or inexpensive VFW encoder for MPEG-2.
    Not only does it sound like one is venturing on the "Dark Side" with this one , but on my end, I have never had any fortune either with any of VFW MPEG-2 codecs - reliability and quality-wise.

Hence, another reason I recommend to start with lossless.

Originally Posted by texas1
    I have an HD PVR2 but that captures in H264, which is very good but nothing beats MPEG2 uncompressed at 15mbs for clarity and sharpness, it's stunning if it works right.
    Nothing beats lossless no matter what bitrate you use for a lossy format like MPEG-2 or H.264 or other. And, from my experience, using a good encoder to achieve the resulting MPEG-2 objective from lossless tends to be unbeatable than starting from MPEG-2, at any bitrate.

But I will agree with you that MPEG-2 at 15mbps can be stunning, and many MPEG-2 capture methods can be better than H.264 capture methods.

Lossless->MPEG-2 is an extra step, yes, but with today's processors it's fast, and in the end I've seen better quality and have had many less headaches this way.
    I'm not an expert, just enjoy capturing sporting events off the DVR. The events I've 'received' from other people in MPEG2 have been perfectly clear, even better than the broadcast of the same game that I watched live. So, I'm sold on MPEG2 being better than H264. I'm sure it is "lossy" (not being an expert I have no idea how to determine that) - but it really doesn't look lossy to my naked eyes. It looks absolutely perfect in fact. It's amazing!

The reviews of the C027 card on various purchase sites indicated by many people agree that the image of the final rendering is crystal clear and I believe them.

I will try that HuffyUV application, seems a bit too technical for my level (what parameters??), but will see how it goes. BTW, how big will a 1 hour recording be in lossless? A 1 hour in 14mbs off the PVR2 was about 6.0gb.

I don't know why the world went from MPEG2 from the early 2000s to AVC/H264. The older way was definitely superior. Was it just a size issue? I don't understand.

btw, when people capture Over the Air (OTA) HD broadcasts with antennae, what capture software are they using??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UT Video codec >>>>>>>> Huffyuv in compatibility. C027 use ULY2 mode.

For correct frames, only Virtualdub. Amarec not have 59.94 options, only interger (30/60).

For HDCP record, try Avermedia HDCP Remove (search on Videohelp).

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not an expert, just enjoy capturing sporting events off the DVR. The events I've 'received' from other people in MPEG2 have been perfectly clear, even better than the broadcast of the same game that I watched live. So, I'm sold on MPEG2 being better than H264. I'm sure it is "lossy" (not being an expert I have no idea how to determine that) - but it really doesn't look lossy to my naked eyes. It looks absolutely perfect in fact. It's amazing!
    You don't have a trained eye yet.

I will try that HuffyUV application, seems a bit too technical for my level (what parameters??), but will see how it goes. BTW, how big will a 1 hour recording be in lossless? A 1 hour in 14mbs off the PVR2 was about 6.0gb.
    I saw a post somewhere which said 15 minutes of 720p60 HuffyUV video with PCM stereo audio took 36 GB, so one hour would be around 144 GB. Files encoded using some other lossless video codecs could be a little smaller but not by a huge amount percentage-wise. The original MPEG-2 from cable can be anywhere between about 4 and 6 GB per hour. (I have a CableCARD tuner, which allows recording the MPEG-2 transport stream.)

I don't know why the world went from MPEG2 from the early 2000s to AVC/H264. The older way was definitely superior. Was it just a size issue? I don't understand.
    I find MPEG-2 easier to work with, but there is no question that a good H.264 software encoder can provide higher quality at the same file size.

btw, when people capture Over the Air (OTA) HD broadcasts with antennae, what capture software are they using??
    I have used both Windows Media Center and NextPVR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Oct 2015 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

No way man. I have C027 card for 5 years, its record 720p@60 flawless.

15Mb?? Nope, C027 record 720p@60 at 30.000btr and 1080i at 40.000btr.

Update your Avermedia Center.

Link: Aver C027 Official Driver + Software

Claudio
    went to that link and downloaded the 81MB update and installed after uninstalling my original. Now the Capture doesn't work "stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution" and then the app closes. I will have to uninstall and reinstall my original, hopefully that won't be a problem.

Ideally, your solution is best. But how are you getting a drop down menu to choose FrameRates???
    I only have choices of Video Size, Video Quality (which is bit rate), Audio Sample Rate, and Audio Quality. The app will assign framerates basted on selection of Video Size (1280x720 is set for 30fps automatically). We have no choice.

Do you have an extra drop down menu for framerate? If your unit is 5 years old, maybe your Avermedia Media Center is superior if it offers more choices.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub is interesting. It's not recognizing an HDMI source but only SVideo or Composite.
    The device is "Avermedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary (Direct Show)" and the Format only goes to 720x480.
    I did find the setting for framerate, but now i can't find the setting for bitrate.
    I tried a brief capture, which went at 143mbs! Much too high and it was at 720x480, in an AVI it seems

how to make it recognize 720p and set the bitrate to something lower or is that not possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    texas1, I run new AMC for tests (Windows 10 compatible).

The new version has enable 40000btr for any resolution in HD mode. Its nice.

The FPS is source dependant. My PS3/PS4 record at HDMI/COMPONENT, 59.94/60 in 720p all time.

If cable box send interlaced video, the AMC will transform in progressive file (30fps) ever.

Print your cable box config and post here.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub is interesting. It's not recognizing an HDMI source but only SVideo or Composite.
    The device is "Avermedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary (Direct Show)" and the Format only goes to 720x480.
    I did find the setting for framerate, but now i can't find the setting for bitrate.
    I tried a brief capture, which went at 143mbs! Much too high and it was at 720x480, in an AVI it seems

how to make it recognize 720p and set the bitrate to something lower or is that not possible?
    Yes, Avermedia never fix this. HDMI input is "S-Video".

Using UT VIDEO 422 BT 601 - ULY2, only select OPTMIZE FOR COMPREESION. No way to set bitrate using lossless codec.

The only codec is X264VFW. But its will lag in some computers and the compatibility is poor on AVI container.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain
    The only codec is X264VFW. But its will lag in some computers and the compatibility is poor on AVI container.
    Unless nothing is wrong with the streams, a faster computer or decoder, and/or a remux to MP4/MKV always fixes this.

H.264 in an AVI - this too is venturing on the "Dark Side".
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless nothing is wrong with the streams, a faster computer or decoder, and/or a remux to MP4/MKV always fixes this.
    Didn't you mean to say something like: "If nothing is wrong with the streams, a faster computer or decoder, and/or a remux to MP4/MKV always fixes this."?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't you mean to say something like: "If nothing is wrong with the streams, a faster computer or decoder, and/or a remux to MP4/MKV always fixes this."?
    If it's clearer, sure.

If any background is necessary, in the old DivX Community Forums, several would use x264 VFW still being in the habit of VirtualDub and VFW. Some reported problems with the limitations of AVI (such as refs, etc) but a remuxing easily fixed them.

So I guess what I meant to say is that if nothing is actually wrong with the stream, it may still play rough in an AVI container, but that may be due to a slower computer bottlenecked by AVI's limitations, or AVI's limitations entirely. And also some Devs who worked with EBML/XML and MKV did report that even though AVI (I think 2.0) may stifle an H.264 stream's better features, it will not delete them. Nothing is lost in any transition back and forth.

I personally never bothered with H.264 in an AVI, so much of this is just what others mentioned, not first hand application. Apparently H.264 in an AVI also caused a huge political debate in some forums among others, such as it being an abomination, so maybe others may have very different views. But this would be outside the scope of this thread I would think.

Also meant to say that if the stream is not playing well in AVI due to some encoding/hard drive/etc error or is corrupt in some way, etc, then that's another problem, not AVI's fault AFAIHR.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 20th Oct 2015 at 10:54. Reason: ...darn grammar you only notice days later when following up on a thread...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^^Thanks. ...and I agree that MPEG-2 or H.264 in an AVI container could be problematic. MKV or TS would be more appropriate containers. MP4 for H.264 and MPG for MPEG-2 are also standard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^Thanks. ...and I agree that MPEG-2 or H.264 in an AVI container could be problematic. MKV or TS would be more appropriate containers. MP4 for H.264 and MPG for MPEG-2 are also standard.
    Yes, TS works well with MPEG-2, or H.264, and so does blu-ray's transport stream M2TS. But both have higher overhead than MP4/MKV.

However, I have noticed some problems even with H.264 in MK4/MKV, particularly with short GOP sizes (seek problems), and some blu-ray features like --fake-interlaced and --pulldown which mess with pixels (which create a slight smearing or jaggy effect depending). The latter --pulldown especially needs special care in muxing into M2TS to properly work without jittery video.

(I should retest if this is still valid since this info is a few years old now.)

Again, this would be outside the scope of capturing H.264, but just saying.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    texas1, I run new AMC for tests (Windows 10 compatible).

The new version has enable 40000btr for any resolution in HD mode. Its nice.

The FPS is source dependant. My PS3/PS4 record at HDMI/COMPONENT, 59.94/60 in 720p all time.

If cable box send interlaced video, the AMC will transform in progressive file (30fps) ever.

Print your cable box config and post here.

Claudio
    not sure how to print the cablebox config but here is what I have:

Motorola DX3400 320gb hdd
    I did a Power on and pressed OK at the same time on the remote to get the Diagnostics

Output format: 1280x720
    Mpeg4 Passthrough: Enable
    Copy Control: copy free
    HDMI/YpBPR Output: 720p

also, AmaRecTV did not recognize HDMI, only had Composite and SVideo and did show the video in the preview screen but with green lines and a double vision screen.

hmmm...this quite a challenge

btw, with Windows Media Center can the .wtv capture in mpeg2 60fps? Can the .wtv convert to something like TS? Found this link, is this worthwhile?
    MC TV Converter
    Last edited by texas1; 20th Oct 2015 at 06:15.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM

btw, with Windows Media Center can the .wtv capture in mpeg2 60fps? Can the .wtv convert to something like TS? Found this link, is this worthwhile?
    MC TV Converter
    Windows Media Center won't work with the AVerMedia HD DVR C027. The only HD capture devices that work with Windows Media Center are those in the Hauppauge HD-PVR/HD-PVR 2 product family with a WMC plug-in available, but those devices only hardware encode to H.264.

Windows Media Center works well with ATSC tuner cards and an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts, or a CableCARD tuner. WMC doesn't re-encode when recording from these sources. In both cases WMC will capture the broadcast transport stream in its original form. In most cases, that will be MPEG-2 with AC3 audio in the USA. However, if using a CableCARD tuner, only recordings from channels marked copy-freely will portable. Recordings from channels marked copy-once will be encrypted and locked to the PC that made them.

I used to use MC-TV converter to convert from WTV to TS. Originally it worked, but later it became unstable on my system. I eventually upgraded from VideoReDo Plus to VideoReDo TV Suite for editing, which can import WTV and export TS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi texas1,

Search on net about Dx3400 but not give any info about FPS settings.

AVerTV HD DVR does not support Windows Media Center.

You can use oldest Windows Media Encoder(WMV), also use Windows Media Capture 9 series(AVI uncompressed). Its record 720p@60 and bypass HDMI protect.

Using Avermedia Center, you can watch via HDMI input?

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi texas1,

Search on net about Dx3400 but not give any info about FPS settings.

AVerTV HD DVR does not support Windows Media Center.

You can use oldest Windows Media Encoder(WMV), also use Windows Media Capture 9 series(AVI uncompressed). Its record 720p@60 and bypass HDMI protect.

Using Avermedia Center, you can watch via HDMI input?

Claudio
    i will try WMedia Capture - but will see if it recognizes HDMI or just like Amarectv or VirtualDub only sees SVideo or Composite.
    Yes, with Avermedia Center, it does show the screen with HDMI output, only the recordings at 720p are at 30fps.
    I've never tried Sony Vegas --- is that a possibility?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM

i will try WMedia Capture - but will see if it recognizes HDMI or just like Amarectv or VirtualDub only sees SVideo or Composite.
    If I recall correctly, one of the "S-Video" connections that you see with the above software is actually HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM

from Amarec getting the double screen. Yes, the SVideo is HDMI.

on virtualdub I tried various compression / format combinations but no luck to change this. Had to customize format to 1280x720 but sometimes the capture device would not accept.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    from Amarec getting the double screen. Yes, the SVideo is HDMI.

on virtualdub I tried various compression / format combinations but no luck to change this. Had to customize format to 1280x720 but sometimes the capture device would not accept.
    Cauptain may have some advice about this problem, since he owns an AVerMedia C027 and uses it with both AmarecTV and Virtualdub.

I don't have an AVerMedia C027, although I considered getting one and closely followed the threads about it posted at VideoHelp.

[Edit]Are you using an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect, or some kind of modified driver that allows the C027 to ignore HDCP?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Oct 2015 at 23:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The format used in virtualdub are:

720p

1080i

On AmarecTV

Your computer details are real?? Update your graphic card drivers and DirectX.

Claudio
    Quote Quote