VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    hmm.. i have to reinstall Win7 to a 64bit version? That's expensive of course and very time consuming. I'd like to know if anyone out there Cauptain or others, is running 32bit Windows and what kind of cpu/ Ram. The website you linked indicates P4 3.0 HT just to record MPEG2., although the actual cardboard box I purchased wants Core2Duo 2.4 which I have 2.67.

I'm only using 1 hdd and running nothing , maybe chrome browsing, that's it.

other than that, even if all the HW issues resolved, it's still going to MPEG audio, not ac3.

anyone use c027?
    What the page I linked to actually says is "For TimeShift and Record in MPEG-2 Intel® Pentium® 4 3.0GHz with HT (Hyper Threading)". That is for SD capture, not HD, according to the manual.

Minimum system specs for capture devices are rarely accurate in real world conditions, and you are not far from them. Even if you are doing no browsing while recording, your system is probably insufficient for direct to MPEG-2 HD video capture. Look at Cauptain's system specs for a better idea of what you need.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    took the advice of UQ and Cauptain and upgraded to a used desktop with an i7, 8gb ram ddr3, 1tb drive.
    Amarectv was successful using the specs issues by Cauptain in a post on this thread.

Had a question - the other software of Videoredo v5 and multiavchad are having a very difficult time reading the file. Even VLC is having a difficult time, it's skippign and freezing. I even posted this question on the VRD5 forum and got an answer from their moderator

"If VLC has issues too then it is likely the decoder. VLC uses the ffmpeg libraries to decode the same as us. Basically with any format other the MPEG-2 or H.264 we're just having the ffmpeg libraries demux and decode the frames to raw YUV and then feed them to our movie window. If it can't keep up then you'll see playback issues. But there should be no effect if you want to edit and output the video as the output routines can go as slow/fast as the decoder needs.

The reason you never saw issues like this in v4 is because v4 didn't support any formats except MPEG-2 or H.264. The ability to open other formats using ffmpeg is new to v5."

-- do i need to install some type of codec package or some other software in addition to AmarecTV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whats codec used with AmarecTV?

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bumping this thread to thank Cauptain and usually_quiet. The method of Avermedia C027 and Amarectv is working fine.

Using VideoRedo 5 works well. My novice blunder was to try to edit the huge AVI file produced by the AmarecTV capture. Better to encode the entire fill first by VRD5, and then edit the ads out. That's a much smoother process than trying to edit a 600GB AVI file. Also for football games, best to capture by quarters, break up the file into usuable segments of about 125gb per quarter. The original is on the DVR.

The Avermedia capture software that came with the C027 card isn't good at all. It captures in compressed MPEG2, compressed, but had freezing problems when played on a bluray. The capture file seems weak and hollow, not solid.

I'm wondering how a 4 hour event, 22gb on the DVR, broadcasts in such a huge file size of 600GB. Is that normal? Is there software that would capture uncompressed 22gb? That would resemble a true extract (not really a true file transfer though) and the lack of encoding would retain the refined picture. I find the encoding always is lossy and has soft features.

also, encoding sometimes results in audio sync issues. That's caused by a bad capture. Best to redo the capture for a smoother end product on your pc.
    Last edited by texas1; 2nd Dec 2016 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wondering by a 4 hour event broadcasts in such a huge file size out of the DVR. I mean, the DVR file itself is about 22gb so why does it produce a 600gb AVI file? Is that normal? Is there software that would capture uncompressed 22gb? That would resemble a true extract (not really a true file transfer though) and the lack of encoding would retain the refined picture. I find the encoding always is lossy and has soft features.
    The DVR file is 22GB only because it has been encoded using much higher compression than the video in the AVI. 600GB sounds about right for 4 hours of losslessly compressed HD video. If the HD video in the AVI were truly uncompressed the file would be much larger (about 1.5 TB) and would need to be captured with a RAID array or SSD.

[Edit]Maybe you don't understand that there is no way to transfer the file from the DVR over HDMI in the same format the DVR uses to store it. The video from the file stored on the DVR must be decoded and decompressed before the video is sent over HDMI because HDMI is designed to provide uncompressed video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Dec 2016 at 17:29.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I'm wondering by a 4 hour event broadcasts in such a huge file size out of the DVR. I mean, the DVR file itself is about 22gb so why does it produce a 600gb AVI file? Is that normal? Is there software that would capture uncompressed 22gb? That would resemble a true extract (not really a true file transfer though) and the lack of encoding would retain the refined picture. I find the encoding always is lossy and has soft features.
    The DVR file is 22GB only because it has been encoded using much higher compression than the video in the AVI. 600GB sounds about right for 4 hours of losslessly compressed HD video. If the HD video in the AVI were truly uncompressed the file would be much larger (about 1.5 TB) and would need to be captured with a RAID array or SSD.

[Edit]Maybe you don't understand that there is no way to transfer the file from the DVR over HDMI in the same format the DVR uses to store it. The video from the file on the DVR has to be decoded and decompressed before the video is sent over HDMI because HDMI is designed to transmit uncompressed video.
    yes , I'm using the AmarecTV to capture the 22gb MP4 from the DVR to my desktop.
    edti -- just saw your edit
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when I get the 600gb AVI on my desktop, I encode with MPEG 15mbs on VideoRedo but the results , while very good, still are not as perfectly sharp as the original on the DVR.
    Is there a compression engine in the DVR, what is it called, can I get it onto my desktop so that my encoding is to that level of perfection? Basically reverse the process, is that possible?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when I get the 600gb AVI on my desktop, I encode with MPEG 15mbs on VideoRedo but the results , while very good, still are not as perfectly sharp as the original on the DVR.
    Is there a compression engine in the DVR, what is it called, can I get it onto my desktop so that my encoding is to that level of perfection? Basically reverse the process, is that possible?
    No, there is no way to make the re-encode identical to the original. The original recording on the DVR contains compression artifacts. Decompressing the video for HDMI doesn't remove them. Encoders can't distinguish compression artifacts from picture detail that should be preserved, so they are retained, and re-encoding adds even more compression artifacts.

Assuming you have cable, not AT&T U-Verse or satellite service, if you want your captured video to be exactly the same as what is stored on your DVR, you would need to get a CableCARD tuner, and rent a CableCARD plus maybe a tuning adapter from your cable service provider. ...and would basically replace your DVR with a PC. Whether the files will be portable or not depends largely on the channel and how your provider handles copy protection for it.

If the CCI byte for the channel is set to "copy freely", the recording will be portable and you can use NextPVR or Windows 7's Media Center for recording. If the CCI byte for the channel is set to copy once", you must use Windows Media Center to record, and the recording will be locked to the individual PC that made it. You won't be allowed to record material marked "copy never" with a PC.

Most providers mark local over-the-air channels "copy freely". Regular cable-only channels can be marked either "copy once" or "copy freely" at the provider's discretion. Comcast and Verizon FIOS tend to mark them "copy freely". Most other cable service providers tend to use "copy once" for cable-only channels. Premium channels (HBO and Showtime. for example) tend to be marked "copy once" by every provider, but are allowed to be marked "copy never" if they receive no revenues from advertising.

I have been using a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner with Comcast cable service for almost two years now, and am very satisfied with it for recording TV. It can be hard to get a CableCARD tuner set up and working, largely because the cable provider doesn't always prepare them correctly for use with a CableCARD tuner. I had to make two trips to the local Comcast office to get a correctly provisioned CableCARD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Dec 2016 at 17:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    Reencoding generally doesn't reduce the sharpness, it loses detail (unless you really over-compress). It's more likely your TV is sharpening the picture and your computer monitor isn't. Computer monitors normally receive a perfectly sharp Desktop which doesn't need sharpening -- in fact attempting to sharpen would ruin the picture. But TVs normally receive a not-so-sharp picture and sharpen by default because that will help sell the TV in the showroom.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    No, there is no way to make the re-encode identical to the original. The original recording on the DVR contains compression artifacts. Decompressing the video for HDMI doesn't remove them. Encoders can't distinguish compression artifacts from picture detail that should be preserved, so they are retained, and re-encoding adds even more compression artifacts.

Assuming you have cable, not AT&T U-Verse or satellite service, if you want your captured video to be exactly the same as what is stored on your DVR, you would need to get a CableCARD tuner, and rent a CableCARD plus maybe a tuning adapter from your cable service provider. ...and would basically replace your DVR with a PC. Whether the files will be portable or not depends largely on the channel and how your provider handles copy protection for it.

If the CCI byte for the channel is set to "copy freely", the recording will be portable and you can use NextPVR or Windows 7's Media Center for recording. If the CCI byte for the channel is set to copy once", you must use Windows Media Center to record, and the recording will be locked to the individual PC that made it. You won't be allowed to record material marked "copy never" with a PC.

Most providers mark local over-the-air channels "copy freely". Regular cable-only channels can be marked either "copy once" or "copy freely" at the provider's discretion. Comcast and Verizon FIOS tend to mark them "copy freely". Most other cable service providers tend to use "copy once" for cable-only channels. Premium channels (HBO and Showtime. for example) tend to be marked "copy once" by every provider, but are allowed to be marked "copy never" if they receive no revenues from advertising.

I have been using a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner with Comcast cable service for almost two years now, and am very satisfied with it for recording TV. It can be hard to get a CableCARD tuner set up and working, largely because the cable provider doesn't always prepare them correctly for use with a CableCARD tuner. I had to make two trips to the local Comcast office to get a correctly provisioned CableCARD.
    SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner - this is an external device to the PC, true? How does data get stored onto the PC hard drive? Is it in Mpeg2 and is Windows Media Center involved? How big would a 4 hour recording be, 22gb perhaps or the huge file size such as 600gb? is the file saved as a .wtv or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner - this is an external device to the PC, true?
    Yes, the SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner is an external device. It connects via Ethernet. If you don't have a wired home network, you can connect it directly to one PC's Ethernet connection and record on that PC. Otherwise connect to your router and any PC in your home with a wired Internet connection can access the device.

How does data get stored onto the PC hard drive? Is it in Mpeg2 and is Windows Media Center involved?
    The data is stored in its original form and original quality. If the channel is broadcast as MPEG-2, it is stored in MPEG-2. If the channel is broadcast as H.264, it is stored as H.264. (Comcast broadcasts standard definition channels and HD OTA channels in MPEG-2. "Cable only" channels are now all 720p H,264.)

At present WMC, is needed for recording "copy-once" channels. NextPVR works fine for recording "copy-freely" channels. Recordings made from "copy-once" channels are encrypted and must be viewed on the PC that made them. Recordings made from "copy-freely" channels are portable. Some providers mark almost everything "copy freely", except for premium channels. Some providers mark almost everything "copy once".

How big would a 4 hour recording be, 22gb perhaps or the huge file size such as 600gb?
    HD MPEG-2 could be between 15 and 24 GB for 4 hours. H.264 would be about half as much.

is the file saved as a .wtv or something else?
    Yes, wtv for Windows Media Center. NextPVR records ts files.
    Quote Quote